Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT extreme or hd vs. Spec twin p-trim for 400hp daily driver evo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT extreme or hd vs. Spec twin p-trim for 400hp daily driver evo?

Hey guys im looking at getting a new clutch for me evo 8 its a fp green evo on e85 around 400hp, its a daily driver and once in a while gets raced on the weekends. Now i found a brand new spec twin p-trim for a good price but not sure if they are as good as the excedys or how if they have had any problems? should i just go with a act extreme or something? Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
why not just get an exedy?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

if you don't drag race, i recommend the act. i am running an act heavy duty kit at 550whp no issues.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

oh, and i also switched from a twin disc setup, which was not ideal for daily driving.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

I switched from the exedy twin to a ACT 6puk sprung - its much better for daily driving - holding up great so far - no lock out issues yet - but I have only launched the car a handful of times...

I dont think it will hold out on the drag strip but for street driving I'm happy with it and this is after I've had bad experiance with the ACT unsprung on my 6262 Evo which I upgraded to a Carbonetic twin...

Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supersal
I switched from the exedy twin to a ACT 6puk sprung - its much better for daily driving - holding up great so far - no lock out issues yet - but I have only launched the car a handful of times...

I dont think it will hold out on the drag strip but for street driving I'm happy with it and this is after I've had bad experiance with the ACT unsprung on my 6262 Evo which I upgraded to a Carbonetic twin...

Why did u get rid off the exedy?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by anthonyrb98
Why did u get rid off the exedy?
It burnt out in traffic and was slipping baddly - I had a new ACT kit so I put it in, was expecting the worst - due to the lock out issues I had with my first ACT kit

But was pleasently surprised...

ps. the Exedy was a better daily driving clutch than the Carbonetic twin - I'll give it that - but the Carbonetic holds more power and lasts longer - however I do prefer Single Plate Clutches for Daily Driving.

Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I have the ACT XTSS w/street disk on a HTA Green E85 setup. Dont know how much power I'm making at the moment but it's holding it perfectly. I put around 3k miles on it so far since mid Nov 2010.

The Evo is my only car and I do not have any issues running this clutch. The pedal feel is much stiffer than the OEM clutch. However I got used to it very quickly and I dont have any complaints for now. But remember every one has their own opinion on what is tolerable for pedal stiffness.

My only regret is not resurfacing the RRE 10.7 lbs flywheel to use with this. I used my OEM resurfaced flywheel instead. All the negatives people mention about lighter flywheels are false. Well at least compared to my RRE flywheel.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
grab the spec. they got a bad rap from some but are really nice clutches. its only draw back is it doesnt shift well above 7500rpm.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
ACT HDSS would be plenty for your setup.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Antony and Supersal: How high can you guys rev to before getting lockout? What part of the exedy twin did you not like about the DD part? I had an exedy twin on my old evo and it was fine for DD.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love my act hdss
drives like stock. I have about 30k miles on the clutch. 400whp daily and 500whp on race gas is no problem with this clutch
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bambooi
Antony and Supersal: How high can you guys rev to before getting lockout? What part of the exedy twin did you not like about the DD part? I had an exedy twin on my old evo and it was fine for DD.

On my 2.3 with 6 puk unsprung HD, I had lock out issues on full tilt shifting didnt matter if I short changed on not...

On this 2.0 with 6 puksprung HD, I have no lock out issues yet with stock rev limiter (but like I said its pretty new and I havent taken it to the track yet)

Exedy was fine for everyday driving - just noiser than a single - and some twin engagement harshness now and then - I was just disapointed it burnt out in traffic, maybe it was my driving style not sure... Peddle feel was actually softer than ACT...

Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I had a FP green "og" version on E-85 making 415 whp and 390 wtq on a Mustang dyno. The
ACT extreme with full disc was great for a DD car. I did experience some lockout with it.
It didn't like allot of launching either. I stil prefer it for a DD car over a Exedy twin HD.

The price difference between the 2 is several hundred dollars. If you are an experienced drag
racer and launch well you can probably get away with the ACT extreme and still enjoy a car that is tolerable in traffic. The twin HD is more on/off to me but not as severe as others. I suggest you drive a car if possible that has a Exedy twin or ACT and make your judgement.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supersal

how is the pedal feel with the ACT 6 puck sprung?

Quick Reply: ACT extreme or hd vs. Spec twin p-trim for 400hp daily driver evo?