Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Using stock DV, still get BOV Noise

Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using stock DV, still get BOV Noise

I have an evo 9 with Hallman MBC connected to wastegate actuator and tee fitting between intake manifold and DV, I also have a Cobb Filter on intake. My turbo spools nice and holds boost fine but the turbo is louder and i get the bov swoosh with no bov. any suggestions and blasts are appreciated
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

You want the sound or don't? The dv will be louder with an intake put the air filter box back on with a drop in filter and that will quiet it down and if you want it louder route it to your flux capacitor and you'll be golden.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So are you trying to not make any noise at all?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its supposed to do that...

whats the problem here?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:34 AM

I'm new to the turbo world, just wondering if that noise was normal. I like the sound, just wanna make sure its ok. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

I beleive that noise is a result of you teeing the boost source for the mbc at the bov line.
You should be taking your boost source from the j-pipe (turbo nipple) to the inlet fo the mbc, and the outlet back to the actuator.
Have a look at this, it speaks to the Synapse DV, but is really applicable to any DV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFqd_yvofk
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:03 PM

thanks for the video i'll change it and see what happens.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

WOW, I searched and found this thread... I just removed the factory air box and installed the Cobb Short Ram intake. Not bad for 65 bucks TMD ! Well... when I drove the car after the install...This bish is loud as **** !! I assume it's normal but I am thinking the filter needs to be bigger, I don't know. WOOOOOOOOOSSHH when the turbo spools and the a quick WOOSH when I let off... It's fricken loud...lol

PS.. This was my 1st mod.. next up TurboXS TBE..

Last edited by mcm308; Mar 28, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by mcm308
WOW, I searched and found this thread... I just removed the factory air box and installed the Cobb Short Ram intake. Not bad for 65 bucks TMD ! Well... when I drove the car after the install...This bish is loud as **** !! I assume it's normal but I am thinking the filter needs to be bigger, I don't know. WOOOOOOOOOSSHH when the turbo spools and the a quick WOOSH when I let off... It's fricken loud...lol

PS.. This was my 1st mod.. next up TurboXS TBE..

Yea I had the same reaction when I installed my short ram intake. I was like daaaaaamn haha even just driving around at part throttle. It sounds like turbo is taking in a monstrous deep breath.

Now with the TBE coming next your car will sound the way its meant to
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Evos like to suck in the universe. Or that's the way it sounds anyway. I flew by a co-worker while he was walking on the sidewalk and he ducked when I drove by AHHAHAHA.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:11 PM

Im from the diesel world we deal with turbos that could eat the ones on all of the cars here and was still blown away by the noise coming from my car after my intake its crazy loud!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

since you guys mentioned the cobb intake, is that any good? Haven't seen many people running them. lol
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by camoevox
Im from the diesel world we deal with turbos that could eat the ones on all of the cars here and was still blown away by the noise coming from my car after my intake its crazy loud!
Yea, I have a Cummins turbo in the garage It is an entirely different sound when the Cummins spools up.. more like a whistle.. And the Evo is like YES INHALE !!!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
since you guys mentioned the cobb intake, is that any good? Haven't seen many people running them. lol
Yea, I'm happy with it. Simple and cost effective compared to some other options. Thats the reason I purchased it. It comes with a phenolic MAF sensor adapter that uses the factory air box bolts. The Phenolic don't retain heat like metal. A nice metal bracket that bolts the MAF adapter to the chassis, and then the filter. Quality pieces...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mcm308
Yea, I have a Cummins turbo in the garage It is an entirely different sound when the Cummins spools up.. more like a whistle.. And the Evo is like YES INHALE !!!
my cummins is pushing 75psi it reminds me of a jetliner

Search this Thread