Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy rebuild q's (looking for concrete answers)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy rebuild q's (looking for concrete answers)

I've been researching an Exedy Twin Disk rebuild for the past couple days and I've seen various opinions throughout the forum, however I'd like to get some feedback from people who have done rebuilds and have some concrete answers.

Obviously I'd need to purchase new disks but,

Is it required to get a new pressure plate and floater plate or can you just install the new disks and go?

If not, is it possible to resurface the pressure plate and floater plate?

How do you determine if you need to resurface at all?

Is it absolutely necessary to resurface the Exedy flywheel?

Is clutch balancing required after resurfacing flywheel/pressure plate/floater plate?

Lots of questions, I know but thanks in advance.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:42 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might try to grind the flywheel, but I would replace the pressure plate and floater plate as they have very small tolerance values. I just reused my flywheel without doing anything and it worked pretty good. Really the only parts you can reuse are the clutch cover, flywheel and hub if yours has a seperate hub piece. I have reused my clip 2 times as well, although I know some people have issues with them popping out.

It should cost you around 200-250 per clutch plate and 150 or so for the floater plate. I can't remember how much the pressure plate was but it was between 150 and 200 I believe, so your looking at 800 bucks or so probably.

Last edited by fre; Feb 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Adam @ MAPerformance has good pricing on a rebuild kit...

im in the market for a rebuild...and ill be ordering from Adam when im ready!

Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great! However, I'm really lookin for some answers to my questions from people who have already done a rebuild. Thanks though.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:12 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Well you can try to save a few hundred bucks by reusing the pressure plate and floater plate, but if it fails, it really isn't worth all that effort to put the tranny back in and then having to pull it back out. As far as I saw, the floater plates and pressure plates had serious hot spots on them after I pulled them out. Given I do launch my car at the track quite a bit. If you don't notice any hot spots (discoloration of the disks), then you might be able to get away with reusing them. I wouldn't try grinding them though. The only thing you should consider grinding is the flywheel.

Last edited by fre; Feb 25, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fre
Well you can try to save a few hundred bucks by reusing the pressure plate and floater plate, but if it fails, it really isn't worth all that effort to put the tranny back in and then having to pull it back out. As far as I saw, the floater plates and pressure plates had serious hot spots on them after I pulled them out. Given I do launch my car at the track quite a bit. If you don't notice any hot spots (discoloration of the disks), then you might be able to get away with reusing them. I wouldn't try grinding them though. The only thing you should consider grinding is the flywheel.
i did a rebuild of a exedy twin to mine to me this answes your questions above op i would replace the disk pressure plate and floater. its not worth having to redo the whole job because you think you are saving money. I have pics of my rebuild in my build thread if you want to see them. cost me like 630 for everything needed to rebuild and strictly modified put it together. So brand new clutch ready for action