Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing Belt too tight...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Timing Belt too tight...

I've recently had quite a bit of trouble with the car, with multiple shops, etc. This last instance, the crank sensor broke.
Turned out, the toner wheel was bent. But, upon further inspection, the timing belt tensioner was installed upside down, so the belt was super tight.

This same shop is who replaced my water pump, then two days later, the car shut off, and thats where I am today.

When I was talking to the shop, the previous guy who had been working on the cars had been fired, and they were going over different scenarios of what could've happened.

One thing he said is if the timing belt was soo tight, it could've thrown off the bottom pulley with so much tension/force on it, which couldve caused the crank sensor to hit the toner wheel, bending it, and breaking the crank sensor.

So opinions on this?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NickieBlaine
One thing he said is if the timing belt was soo tight, it could've thrown off the bottom pulley with so much tension/force on it, which couldve caused the crank sensor to hit the toner wheel, bending it, and breaking the crank sensor.

So opinions on this?
seems pretty unlikely that the belt could be so tight it flexes the snout of the crank enough the break a sensor....
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Even an experienced installer can mess up a job like timing belt. I had a guy who's been working on 4g63 engine for over 10 years install my cams and my oil pump sprocket was out of phase, I had a lot of vibration and noises afterward.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Thats some pretty thick steel Nick... Any chance that the crank pulley is just not bolted on square? I have never had the front cover off my motor so I really dont know what im looking for/at so its just a theory.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Ok well ifthe toner wheel had a small bend on the edge, how long could the car drive before destroying the crank sensor? As the car car drove about 25miles after being worked on before it shut off.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a quick question, with tensioner installed wrong were you still able to untension the belt properly?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

At this point it was back in the shop