Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 7460 Howling

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the diagnosis is simple. compressor wheel hits housing at high rpm. this will twist the shaft and destroy turbo.

possible reasons include over spinning turbo, turbo out of balance, trash in oil, or oil quality not high enough. Blouch will likely blame you and not warranty turbo. Even when it may have been turbo builders fault. This is where FP shines. no questions asked warranty first failure.
It happened exactly like you said. Blouch didn`t warranty the turbo. I spent 50 buck sending them the turbo just to find out what I already told them which is bent shaft. I can`t believe that Castrol oil which I`ve been using or Chromed covers could kill the turbo in a few hundred miles. NO MORE BBK`s for me. Just called Forced Perfomance and they gonna hook me up with FP GREEN next week so I hope better luck this time. I hope turbotboz will warranty his turbo but I`ve dealt with HKS before and get a hold of these guys are tough. Good luck man
Old May 9, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Typical blouch tactics. no way chroming the housing caused the failure. there was no chroming done on the inside so no change to clearances was made.

Ceramic coating exhaust housings cant cause failure either. even when coating the inside. the coating is far too soft. the wheels would cut right through the coating. IHI actually uses a technique as this to get ultra tight compressor fit. they coat the insides of housing with softer material that self clearances when run.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 236 Likes on 212 Posts
any word on what caused the howling?

getting mine ceramic coated - nice to hear it doesnt cause any problems