Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Question

So I'm stock. I've read on the Evo 9, FP Green, etc and seem to be stuck on my turbo choice. I would like some opinions from your guys since yall have seen these run or experienced them.

My motor is stock with some bolt ons.
-HKS 272s
-HKS SSQ
-HKS exhaust
-PTE 1000cc
-Injen Intake
-Unkown hard Upper ICP
-Walbro 255

I want to shoot for 400whp, but not sure if I will make it there. Will not go over 450whp until next year so I'll have this set up with a couple more mods for a while. Will slowly upgrade the head, intercooler, etc. But as of now, this is what I got.

This is greatly appreciated guys. I know a lot of kids get on here asking these kind of questions, but I haven't really experienced these turbos. I know there's plenty more options so comments are welcomed.

-Evo_jr
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:20 AM

Do you not want to do major upgrades; is that why your looking for a stock turbo upgrade? rather than going big turbo?

Or do you just want to stay within a certain WHP range?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well sorry to burst your bubble but unless your on e85 with a stock 9 turbo your not breakin 400 hp, not even on a dynojet, fp green you can get there with hi boost and or e85 however the fp green is barely a step up over the 9 turbo, the hks cams will hold you back on top end power, ask me how i know( im runnin em haha), you need a licp for sure you already have the fuel mods setup for e85, and, id say if your lookin for 400 hp almost bolt on, buy an fp red, or a bbk turbo....i run an fp red and full boost in 3rd gear abour 4100 rpms, which isnt much lag compared to stock 8 turbo but with a hell of a lot more top end. and dependin on mods, dyno, temps, etc 400 whp with your boltons is attainable...good luck dont spend the money twice on the same parts.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

The cams I can take out since they haven't been installed.

I was told the FP RED would have too much lag. Read few threads saying the RED is great with strokers, but laggy on stock.

LICP is a small mod I can do. Thank you for telling me that. I would love to do E85, but the closest station is about 45 mins away. Which I can make the drive if I have to, but not liking it. So trying to stay away from E85.

That was one of my questions. On how much bigger the green is over the 9. Which I'm not sure if it will do a difference for the price range. This is why I'm here thou. To pick the right turbo.

What could be a good cam if the HKS 272s arent.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

you can also run the dual map and run your regular gas as well as e85 if your not looking to push your 400whp on a daily basis..
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Jr
The cams I can take out since they haven't been installed.

I was told the FP RED would have too much lag. Read few threads saying the RED is great with strokers, but laggy on stock.

LICP is a small mod I can do. Thank you for telling me that. I would love to do E85, but the closest station is about 45 mins away. Which I can make the drive if I have to, but not liking it. So trying to stay away from E85.

That was one of my questions. On how much bigger the green is over the 9. Which I'm not sure if it will do a difference for the price range. This is why I'm here thou. To pick the right turbo.

What could be a good cam if the HKS 272s arent.
I also heard that the "older" FP Reds were laggy...but that has been changed?? not sure on this. But I was considering the FP Red too and a similar mod list. I heard the LICP is a must and o2 housing makes a good difference as well. I was told that 860cc injectors would be good for the HP I was looking for on C16 race gas. Max for me would be 450whp.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

I'd keep the cams, nothing but good things can come by having hose installed. For me I would have to look at my end goals first before deciding on a turbo. Will you be doing any kind of motorsports at all? Or are you just looking for a 400hp DD monster that can win some stupid stoplight races? Ask yourself first what you're going to do with the car, or are considering, and go from there.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Houstonsc300
I also heard that the "older" FP Reds were laggy...but that has been changed?? not sure on this. But I was considering the FP Red too and a similar mod list. I heard the LICP is a must and o2 housing makes a good difference as well. I was told that 860cc injectors would be good for the HP I was looking for on C16 race gas. Max for me would be 450whp.
The "Old Reds" I assume you mean with the std compressor cover? If so they actually spool quicker than the 84mm surge cover Red!

Mikey
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well honestly evojr, u gotta ask yourself whatis too much lag? for me personally for a DD, a 35r is laggy haha, hta 35r i would jock it mainly cuz of quicker spool up (down the road), but honestly anything that hits full boost around 4000 rpms, isnt laggy at all, and if you say it is you need to downshift a gear if your that worried about it, im runnin one of the og fp red 64mm, and its not laggy at all even when i go with an e85 setup it wont be more then 200 rpms more laggy..for over 400 hp...that turbos gotta hit sometime, u gotta ask yourself is 200 rpms sooner in the bottom end to midrange worth losin out on over 40 hp??
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:15 PM

I have ridden in several fp red cars lag is not that bad
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo Jr: Do you get 93, or 91 pump gasoline in your area? I would do a BBK-B for maxing out on pump gas with your setup. Spools a tad quicker than a Red and Chad Block always designs a great pumpgas turbo.

Otherwise if you want a bit quicker spoolup you might look at the FP HTA Green, or the original BBK-Full. Another quick spool option is the BB HKS 7460R.

The Red with the right tune can run 27-30 PSI on 93. It will spool a bit slower than the others though. With any of the above turbos you'll probably want a more radical cam grind and especially an upgraded intercooler to get up around 400WHP on pump.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 28, 2011 at 07:01 PM.