Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Carbonetics Pro Blade clutch- Mini review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Should handle heat a lot better, and should shift like butter. Life will be a lot shorter though.

And the reason I mentioned it at all was in your orgional post you said "held up to 500whp etc etc" which we all know is irrelevent -- the tq number it endured is more useful. a 2.0LR may make 700hp but only makes 400 ft/tq.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xRoguex
Should handle heat a lot better, and should shift like butter. Life will be a lot shorter though.

And the reason I mentioned it at all was in your orgional post you said "held up to 500whp etc etc" which we all know is irrelevent -- the tq number it endured is more useful. a 2.0LR may make 700hp but only makes 400 ft/tq.
Agreed. Except for the wear. Should be quite a bit better than organic. My stocker lasted me 55k so we will see.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I know the answer is truly, depends. But how long is a carbon clutch likely to last for daily driving? I'm interested in this clutch, but I don't want to have to change out a clutch after like 20k. Right now I'm at about 60k rocking the stock clutch with around 300 wtq on 91oct.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

A little update. No high rpm lockout. Disengages the same at 8k as it does normal around town driving. The pedal pressure is also disappearing. By that I mean it's almost not noticeable over stock anymore. There is a learning curve though. This thing is so light and grabs so well that I've stalled a few times. A bit embarrassing but I was on the stock clutch for over 50k miles. I could have driven the stocker in my sleep. I'm very very pleased with the clutch so far. Just getting it broken in so the launch comes pretty soon. I'll report back about it!

Last edited by 4xforce; Apr 7, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Just wanting to let anyone who is considering this clutch know how it's performing. I now have about 2500 miles on it and it's performing flawlessly. The only downside if there was one would be a bit of chatter on prolonged engagement. This is something I expected given the style of disc and I rarely encounter it. That being said it shifts like butter all the way up to 8k and engages with serious authority. I have yet to launch it yet but I'm sure it will be up to the task at my current power level. I'm waiting for a trip the track to pound on it a bit. I'm very satisfied so far.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Good to know, the price i thought was a little steep for a single disk clutch.....but then again it doesn come with a flywheel. At 1300 dollars its not very far off an Exedy twin, so i'm just kind of curious what advantages it might have over a twin disk.

I'm also curious to see what kind of millage you get out of it, since it is a Carbon clutch. What type of driving do you do? is this you DD? do you drag race often?
Old May 19, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

The advantage over the twin disk will be better shifting due to the clutch being lighter, lower MOI.

I know on my car when I went to the exedy twin from the single clutch I could feel the synchros dragging on pretty much every shift when I was at the track. I didn't get that with the single and yes it was adjusted corectly

This car is the OP's DD and it will get a chance to see some track time soon enough, going to see if he can get kicked out of a track or two!
Old May 19, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the carbon blade mated with ACT extreme PP. very smooth engagement. fantastic shifting. stiff pedal pressure. dont know what torque it will hold, but very happy with clutch so far
Old May 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Good to know, the price i thought was a little steep for a single disk clutch.....but then again it doesn come with a flywheel. At 1300 dollars its not very far off an Exedy twin, so i'm just kind of curious what advantages it might have over a twin disk.

I'm also curious to see what kind of millage you get out of it, since it is a Carbon clutch. What type of driving do you do? is this you DD? do you drag race often?
Not all carbon clutches are created equal. This disc is supposed to be considerably more durable than an organic disc. Of course only time will tell. I know there can be a lot of smoke and mirrors in marketing but take a look at their website. They seem to believe that if driven properly it could last quite a while. Of course as mentioned above I rocked the stock clutch for 50k so if I can get even half that I will be happy. The car only sees about 10k per year.

Sho669, I look forward to heading out to the track with you soon. Should be able to turn some heads and drop some jaws around here considering there isn't much of an stock turbo evo crowd at the local track. Thanks for your input as well.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles on it so far? How's she holding up?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much torque does this thing hold? The description sounds like the ACT HDSS I have in my car right now - smooth engagement, shifts fine @ 8k, doesn't chatter, so I'm confused. In my limited experience pucks chatter more than full-face discs, so everyone is saying this one doesn't chatter? I'm looking for something to hold 500+ ft/lbs so this may not be it.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VRSF Tiago
How many miles on it so far? How's she holding up?
Hey Tom. I have about 12k miles on it so far and about 10 really hard launches and it feels just like it did after a couple weeks of breaking it in. Still smooth engagement. Easy to drive and grabs hard when I need it to. I've never had anything close to lockout and I shift at or near redline at least a few times a week. I'll be truly honest and say I have had a few missed shifts and stalled it more than I will admit because I get too comfortable with it but I have not one regret. Hopefully I'll be able to get it to the track soon and let everybody know how she does. If I were you I'd wait to see if Carbonetics upgrades it to hold a bit more power considering the power you are making. For car under or around the 500/500 level I would honestly say it's got to be the best all around clutch on the market.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
How much torque does this thing hold? The description sounds like the ACT HDSS I have in my car right now - smooth engagement, shifts fine @ 8k, doesn't chatter, so I'm confused. In my limited experience pucks chatter more than full-face discs, so everyone is saying this one doesn't chatter? I'm looking for something to hold 500+ ft/lbs so this may not be it.
I believe it would hold your current torque level with ease. You might wait to see what Curt can get them to do to hold a bit more torque with this setup if you're looking to upgrade from the ACT that you are currently using. Chatter is very minimal. Only when it's slipped too long at a low rpm do I ever get any chatter. The carbon pucks are very forgiving in this department.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Bought this clutch based off of your review. I'll have it in my car hopefully next month.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best clutch ive used ever in an Evo, just don't launch it on high boost with a 2.3 and a Black, it will slip but it won't hurt it, mine looks fine still and works perfect at under 600whp on Buschurs dyno.

Quick Reply: Carbonetics Pro Blade clutch- Mini review