Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Carbonetics Pro Blade clutch- Mini review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have tried about 30 different twin and tripples. and maybe ten different design carbon clutches. incluing a couple of one off designs of my own. It may be quiet now but most likely will get noisier as it breaks in. Heavier fly does absorb energy. carbon plates have nothing to do with it. there are some good videos on you tube about dual mass flywheel. most are clueless as to why there needs to be springs in the clutch somewhere. manufactures have moved to dual mass flywhees because they do a better job of absorbing this energy. the straight four by design has this energy worse than any other engine design being used. there are also some other factors but to keep it short I have heard spring center twins that were quiet in one car and noisy in the next.

the most interesting part to learn is how the driveshft wants to cycle back and forth when you think load would hold it steady in one direction. springs are used for a reason. they are needed. without them there is far faster wear and tear on the clutch splines. it is basic science that every car maker on the planet is aware off. I have never seen a car myself and I have seen thousands and thousands in junk yards over the years, every car comes with springs in the clutch or on the fly. sounds like carbonetic (and they are by far my favorite manufacture) has done a great job with this clutch. with clutches there are always comprimises. removing spring center allows clutch to shift better, but at the cost of input shaft were and tear and noise.

I also rebuild transmissions and most every trans that comes in here that was used with twin discs with separate splines will need the input shaft replaced. I will post pictures later so all can understand. Its very acceptable that aftermarket clutches remove springs on clutch. life expectancy of high perfromance cluthces is accepted as very low life span.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said I don't know the science of it all, all I can guarantee you is that there is no decel noise as of right now, whether or not there will be in future is unknown at this point, yes I agree there will be more noise transferred but at this stage there is none to be heard in cabin, you're basically calling someone a liar when I say there is no noise and from half way across the world you say there is. If you said decel noise would come in future I would have accepted that but there is none now.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Found some cool info on Carbonetics (ATS&Across in Japan).

Carbon/Carbon single, twin and triple clutches.

awesome

http://www.a-t-s.co.jp/01clutch/inde...bon-clutch.php
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
i just finished re-reading 4xforce's experience with the blade pro clutch - apparently a great shifting clutch but slipping after 10 launches and 16k miles. and then there's deeman101's experience where he killed the clutch after one launch. leaves me wondering how long this thing would last if it isn't launched. i so want a clutch that dd's well, shifts great, and can handle 475 ft-lbs at the wheels. i could give a damn about launching. i suppose the carbonetic (non-blade) twin would get me there, but its noisy and costs $2100. alas, i'm destined to comprimise somewhere.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
i so want a clutch that dd's well, shifts great, and can handle 475 ft-lbs at the wheels. i could give a damn about launching. i suppose the carbonetic (non-blade) twin would get me there, but its noisy and costs $2100. alas, i'm destined to comprimise somewhere.
I know this is the Blade thread but the Comp Stg2 is holding my torque for now and drives like stock. Won't hold launching though.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
I know this is the Blade thread but the Comp Stg2 is holding my torque for now and drives like stock. Won't hold launching though.
that's probably what i'll end up trying...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Mrfred, I thought 4xforce was using the wrong pressure plate?
Once he moved to a heavy unit (standard pull kit comes with 2800-3000lb clamp) it was ok?

I've been talking with Carbonetics, their Pro-Blade with the pull type conversion is only rated to 60kg or torque, but the pull type (OEM style) is rated to 70kg of torque.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RSMike
Mrfred, I thought 4xforce was using the wrong pressure plate?
Once he moved to a heavy unit (standard pull kit comes with 2800-3000lb clamp) it was ok?

I've been talking with Carbonetics, their Pro-Blade with the pull type conversion is only rated to 60kg or torque, but the pull type (OEM style) is rated to 70kg of torque.
Would be great if that's true, but nothing like that mentioned in this thread. Last thing he wrote was that it was slipping like crazy and that he was going to switch to the ACT street disk. No further comments on the Blade Pro after that.

In speaking with Kiyo (US rep) yesterday, he clearly said that the Blade Pro would not hold my power levels if launched, but he also said that it would hold up to 1.5x the rated tq for static holding conditions. So, it should be good for 475 ft-lbs at the wheels on a dyno pull and a quick throttle-lift shift, but I wonder how it would handle NLTS. My guess is that it wouldn't like that.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i just finished re-reading 4xforce's experience with the blade pro clutch - apparently a great shifting clutch but slipping after 10 launches and 16k miles. and then there's deeman101's experience where he killed the clutch after one launch. leaves me wondering how long this thing would last if it isn't launched. i so want a clutch that dd's well, shifts great, and can handle 475 ft-lbs at the wheels. i could give a damn about launching. i suppose the carbonetic (non-blade) twin would get me there, but its noisy and costs $2100. alas, i'm destined to comprimise somewhere.
Well, I wandered in the clutch quagmire, installed the Carbo twin and wish I had done it to start with. Is it expensive, yes. Good for launching, not unless you go through the warm up proceudre, dot the i's and cross the t's. Does it shift like butter while performing hundreds of shifts over 7k RPM on a road course, YES. Kept killing synchro's with lesser clutches. Approaching 20 track weekends on the Carbo twin. And the highest compliment I can pay it is that it is one part of my car I never even think about anymore, because it simply works great and never gives a peep. For those of use who track an Evo hard, that is the best thing to say about any piece on the car.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have tried about 30 different twin and tripples. and maybe ten different design carbon clutches. incluing a couple of one off designs of my own. It may be quiet now but most likely will get noisier as it breaks in. Heavier fly does absorb energy. carbon plates have nothing to do with it. there are some good videos on you tube about dual mass flywheel. most are clueless as to why there needs to be springs in the clutch somewhere. manufactures have moved to dual mass flywhees because they do a better job of absorbing this energy. the straight four by design has this energy worse than any other engine design being used. there are also some other factors but to keep it short I have heard spring center twins that were quiet in one car and noisy in the next.

the most interesting part to learn is how the driveshft wants to cycle back and forth when you think load would hold it steady in one direction. springs are used for a reason. they are needed. without them there is far faster wear and tear on the clutch splines. it is basic science that every car maker on the planet is aware off. I have never seen a car myself and I have seen thousands and thousands in junk yards over the years, every car comes with springs in the clutch or on the fly. sounds like carbonetic (and they are by far my favorite manufacture) has done a great job with this clutch. with clutches there are always comprimises. removing spring center allows clutch to shift better, but at the cost of input shaft were and tear and noise.

I also rebuild transmissions and most every trans that comes in here that was used with twin discs with separate splines will need the input shaft replaced. I will post pictures later so all can understand. Its very acceptable that aftermarket clutches remove springs on clutch. life expectancy of high perfromance cluthces is accepted as very low life span.
For me, coming from a car that had a dual mass FLy wheel stock [06 mazda speed 6] and going to a ACT Light weight i can say you are 100% correct its a huge difference in feel, also in vibration when under heavy load. And the ACT street clutch gave me popeye leg compared to the stock one.
The only negitive to having a Dual mass fly wheel Stock is it cannot be cut, and to buy a oem one is a lil over 1k, at least on that mazda it was. The lighter fly wheel did make a difference thou, felt like it reved Easier but yeah Vibrations......

Last edited by blowngasket; Jan 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like the twin blade utilizes stock diameter disks. Should be good for holding power, but it seems like two blade disks would the same or greater MOI of a single organic disk.
Don't know about the blade, but the Carbo twin is different. The only metal in the friction assy is the small metal hub that slides over the input shaft of the tranny. Outside of that the entire friction disk is composite. Not composite laminated to a metal disk or plate, just composite. That small metal hub is splined on the inside to match the tranny input and on the outside to mate with the 100% composite plates.

it also eliminates the wear issue with two sets of splines eating into the tranny input shaft with some twins.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Any update about the twin blade?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:04 PM

Good info here!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:32 PM
EvoM Guru

I've got Carbonetics Blade clutch for the Evo 7-10, i'll be putting to my car soon for testing.
I got it tested at a local clutch shop, they tested it at 3240lbs clamp and mentioned it released smoothly because the carbon friction material doesn't compress like normal material does.

Last edited by RSMike; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RSMike
I've got Carbonetics Blade clutch for the Evo 7-10, i'll be putting to my car soon for testing.
I got it tested at a local clutch shop, they tested it at 3240lbs clamp and mentioned it released smoothly because the carbon friction material doesn't compress like normal material does.
Is this the 1300 kg or 1600 kg pressure plate?

Quick Reply: Carbonetics Pro Blade clutch- Mini review