Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Project FP Black DBB

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicManRed
Im sorry, I'm having difficulty seeing relevance from your post to this thread.

As for some more related Information I forgot to mention, I'm running a MAP CompGate20 o2 housing. So technically, my BBB is single scroll.

So we can safely say a 2.4 on pump can push 30 psi at 4000 on a SS BBB.
And now, a 2.3 on e85 can push 30 psi at 3400 on a TS BBB.

I've put about 7k miles on mine so far. I hope for It to be the last turbo my car ever has.

I may do what u did with the oil inline filter in case It sucks up contamination. I'm currently running full factory turbo lines.

-MR
sorry for getting off topic but why did you choose to go single scroll?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by b16a2delsol
Tscomp, Maybe a silly question, but why do you use a MBC instead of a 3-port?
personal preference.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
sorry for getting off topic but why did you choose to go single scroll?
he didnt realize he was ruining the twin scroll housing im sure just like most people who do it.
based on what he said in this thread, lag is the last thing he wants for his car.. im surprised hes not
removing it asap.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Great stuff man. Is all of that on e85?

My fp black owens development ball bearing converted turbo, spools 30psi at 4000rpm on 93 pump powered by a 2.4 L 10.5:1 motor. Great for daily driving. Puts out just over 500lbs tq, and a very reachable 600hp (keeping timing conservative sincemy focus is reliability anf not numbers).

Glad to see more people are doing the BBB. Maybe one of these days ill spit some e85 through my ID 2200's just to see how it feels.

Congrats
yes its e85. cars running race gas timing. just the mid range timing was pulled back to avoid the large torque spike.

this turbos awesome, worth every penny as long as its reliable and holds up. i cant say anything yet, its still early.. but so far it seems like a very solid unit at 32-34psi and sure as hell responds well, and Owen does amazing quality work.

your thread is what introduced me to Owen developments, so thanks for posting it up.

did they confirm they are using garrett bearings out of a 30R to you?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very cool, so excite ! 2weeks and getting a brand new fp black what will convert Owen for BB too than lets see how it spinning on the 2.4 mivec engine. Engine is also under building. Last week arrived all of the engine internals .

Great Evo, loveing your videos and how the boost build up ! Like a 2.0 evo with the stock turbo .
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
he didnt realize he was ruining the twin scroll housing im sure just like most people who do it.
based on what he said in this thread, lag is the last thing he wants for his car.. im surprised hes not
removing it asap.
Correct. There have been a lot of tug-o-war of people telling me that my setup is twin scroll, but when I studied further... it technically isn't. The ports are not divided all of the way down. Some say that as long as they are divided when the pulses are passing the turbo, then it is twin scroll, but my response to that theory is... it doesn't matter because the pulses will still fight each other beyond the turbo, and will cause a sort of a turbulence.

Anywho... I'm really not in a rush to convert back to Twin scroll... and the use of a proper wastegate is a heck of a lot better for boost control. The logs of my turbo on a bolt on wastegate always had a little fluctuation throughout rpm after boost hit the target... after getting the MapCompGate20... the boost control is awesome.

What I plan to do is completely weld the two "D" shaped ports on the turbo's wastegate side shut. Then create a completely custom 3" exhaust from the turbo down into the downpipe. And then get a custom TS header with 2 waste gates for proper boost control. But that is going to cost me over $2k.. (which is why I'm in no rush) LoL. And yes, I'm sure people at this point must be saying... wow, that's a bad way to create your own 35R.. because after all that, that's basically what it is. Either way, I'm happy as a pig in you-know-what with this turbo.

Originally Posted by tscompusa
yes its e85. cars running race gas timing. just the mid range timing was pulled back to avoid the large torque spike.

this turbos awesome, worth every penny as long as its reliable and holds up. i cant say anything yet, its still early.. but so far it seems like a very solid unit at 32-34psi and sure as hell responds well, and Owen does amazing quality work.

your thread is what introduced me to Owen developments, so thanks for posting it up.

did they confirm they are using garrett bearings out of a 30R to you?
You are very welcome. A good friend of mine John was the one that told me about Owens Developments so I can't really take all of the credit. It took me a bit to save up, but once I did, I had no problem sending out the black to get converted. I'm not sure what bearing setup they used on mine, but they told me that they used the same bearing setup that they use on most of the race cars that they do (also very high resistance to heat). I'm sure they took care of you... Owens knows how important reliability is.

I see you aren't super far... maybe we should swap evo's for a bit and see how they feel
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Ya I did lots of research on them, they have designed some very crazy stuff for 4g63's like that quad turbo system and the evo for the fq400's and so on. im in PA, 3-4 hrs from NY, but i wouldn't let anyone drive my car WOT.. last time i did that they scared me pretty bad lol. btw its Owen not Owens with an s.
---

so i did some logging the car was making 520whp and 480wtq in those videos i posted with 11.1 afr across in 3rd. i overlayed them with my old logs from last year of june of 2010 and at 36psi this turbo wakes up big time.. so im gonna up the boost today to around 36-37 today at lower rpm to produce an extremely high torque spike and taper it off hard to around 31 at redline.

with some tuning yesterday i was able to get it to 540/500 at 33psi taper to 28psi which i dont think is to bad in 91F heat on a stock frame turbo that's unported. im pretty certain i could of gotten the torque side by side with the hp like 540/530 easily with more timing, but i am gonna raise the boost to see how it reacts and compare to my old ported fp black.

so today we will see what this ****ers made of.. the torque it produces low end is pretty amazing. not posting any graphs until i get it where i want it. peak tq hits around 4200 though.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that peak tq at 4200 with e85? If so... you can definitely go more aggressive with your timing/spool. I don't know how much e85 helps on spool, but if I'm getting 30psi by 4000 on 93 octane... I can only imagine what your car would do on e85!

And I know what you mean about letting people drive your car... I've learned that lesson 1 transmission and 2 clutches later. The only people I let drive my car now are long-time evo owners because they know the car, and I have to know them and their driving style personally.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 308 Likes on 124 Posts
interesting Pics Tom.
So you've made it spool 200-300 rpm faster, AND it has cut back turbine blades?
AND it gets compressor surge in 3rd?

Getting a FP Red done would be fricken awesome
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Is that peak tq at 4200 with e85? If so... you can definitely go more aggressive with your timing/spool. I don't know how much e85 helps on spool, but if I'm getting 30psi by 4000 on 93 octane... I can only imagine what your car would do on e85!

And I know what you mean about letting people drive your car... I've learned that lesson 1 transmission and 2 clutches later. The only people I let drive my car now are long-time evo owners because they know the car, and I have to know them and their driving style personally.
on journal bearing i had 33psi by 3800rpm, on here i had seen it as early as 3650 so far.

peak tq occurs right around 4100-4200 so far. its pretty much identical to the journal bearing.. i mean you cant expect to much its the same aero design.

on 93 i spool the same as i do e85 for the most part.

on a real dyno the curve would begin around here i believe;

also not forgetting to take in account the pull is started at 3000RPM. it doesnt get any better then that for a 68lb/min turbo and response.

Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RSMike
interesting Pics Tom.
So you've made it spool 200-300 rpm faster, AND it has cut back turbine blades?
AND it gets compressor surge in 3rd?

Getting a FP Red done would be fricken awesome
it doesn't surge unless i go WOT then let off quick as its starting to spool then it will flutter the bov.

it doesn't surge if i brake boost, where before it did on journal. it doesn't surge when you hit it in 4th gear early and the journal did.

it shifted the peak torque to the left about 200rpm i would say. the spool varys of course.

the weather absolutely sucks here. so i have no idea wtf the air is doing from one minute to the next.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice! You're seeing over 300whp by 4000! imagine if you had mivec
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

finished road tune last night.. cars ready to kick some ***!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFc0SyjXbco&hd=1
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do u rev this thing to?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BOOSTINAT30PSI
What do u rev this thing to?
8021 in this vid, but ive gone as high as 8500 before. id go to 10,000 if i could, but the 2.3 would self destruct.

Quick Reply: Project FP Black DBB