Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Project FP Black DBB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Project FP Black DBB

So im going to be experimenting with something really cool on my car shortly. I have been in contact with Owen Developments in the UK and we are going to be putting a dual ball bearing centersection into an FP black.. I know this has been done by someone else on the forum as well, but he never showed any results.

I will show results and tune the turbo to the best of my ability. My goals arent about peak power, but more so response and low/mid range. Although, i will make sure its making somewhere in the mid 500's wtq wise and low 600's whp wise on E85.

What I hope I can achieve is around 550 peak tq by around low 4000's rpm's. I don't think this should be a problem considering I see it now on a fp black around 4500.

The owner of Owens told me I may see up to 200-500RPM in spoolup so it definitely should be interesting.. (they do a lot of tricks to the turbo to say the least). I know the transient response is going to be the biggest thing here and cant wait to see how it performs on my 2.3 setup.

He said they mostly convert Green's over there to DBB, but have done reds and a few blacks as well. They are more focused on circuit racing over there then drag racing. My car is just a fun street car that gets the **** pounded out of it on a daily basis.. i may track it a few times just to see where it stands but other then that its just a fun personal car for me.

As I find out more information regarding the conversion, I will update the thread with more information.

I should have it bolted onto the car within the next 3-4 weeks.

I will share detailed data and videos showing the spool, response, and power in general of the powerband with the conversion. I will also share the boost curves, and other useful data.

Stay tuned.

Other Info: there's not much I can do about the wires under the ic pipe. The stupid trunk battery wires are running through the fender and come up in front of the fuse box so everything connects in that area.. id have to re-route the wires under the car and then i can connect everything down under near the steering column area, but its not a show car so im not gonna bother with it.

=============================
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4vcQV1vZUA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtCthiFhAtM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f654rXiD8lI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dIIrXHUpMw

TURBO PURCHASING INFO

For anyone that is interested in ball bearing conversions from Owen developments here is the following information i have at the moment.

1. You must contact Scott at Scott@owendevelopments.co.uk
2. There are two fees depending on what route you decide to go..

The following prices below are for purchasing a brand new FP turbo from Owen + dual ball bearing conversion

a. bank wire: 1,923 GBP (Approx $3100 USD shipped UPS 2-3 day air)
b. Paypal: 2,052 GBP (Approx $3200 USD Shipped UPS 2-3 day air)

To find the current exchange rate click here

Approx turn around time for the conversion is anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

All prices above are New FP Turbos then converted by Owens. Owens is a direct FP dealer/service center, so they work together.

Owen developments converts the ENTIRE CHRA to ball bearing, not just compressor sides like some half hybrid setups use. The quality of their bearings is as good as Garrett if not better. Owens works directly with major manufacturers such as mitsubishi, tial, Garrett, etc.. this is a company who designed a quad turbo 4g63 for top gear to test but never got to testing it.. this company is also responsible for the turbo in the FQ400 evo's. This companies the real deal. There are other companies out there as well that do just as good work, but i was unable to find one with as good of communication as I had with Owen developments and knowledge and background and experience in general. They have been building turbos for over 30 years now.

I'm not being paid and I didn't pay any less to say any of this, I'm just trying to give as much information as I can for anyone else that is interested in doing this but is hesitant due to not knowing background on the company.

The turbo comes with a 1 year warranty.

Also if you're using the second gen FP oil feedlines that feed from the oil filter housing, you will need the Black restrictor with the .030 Orifice for Ball bearing turbos. http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Lancer-TurboHW

I'm going to get more information regarding the technical aspect of the turbo and background history on parts they use, but right now Lee is extremely busy so he cant get me that information at the moment.

All in all, when going through Scott, the sales manager for Owens, the communication is excellent. I always receive an email response within 24hrs or less and they answer ALL questions, not just skim through and answer some.

==================================

Response times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUqpN_2NFus

For the rest of the videos go here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9482886-post153.html

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jul 26, 2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WIN. Please hurry up lol
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you will buy a lot of tires and drivetrain parts after that...
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Can you ask them if they happen to have any dyno sheets of the turbos they have already completed there for example the fp red you mentioned ? That would be great if you could.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nucci
Why would he buy drivetrain parts? He has a fully built evo with all supporting mods to make this power without a sweat, read up on members before you jump the gun on ideas like this.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds interesting! Can't wait to see some numbers and your story!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nucci
I think you underestimate the traction you can get with a well built evo even on a mild budget coilover setup.

my car runs;

Megan Street coilovers
Whiteline Front Roll kit
Agency Power Front trans mount
Energy Suspension Bushings
255/35R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Shep ultimate transmission /w Full REM ISF process etc.
Shep stage 3 tcase /w QUAIFE LSD.

Its really hard to spin the tires in a hot summer day in anything after 1st gear even when you have 550wtq+ on tap as early as 4500rpm. The car also has a evo 9 1st gear. I suppose the roads play a huge roll on this also though.

Now I do understand the more I use the car the weaker the parts will get and eventually my coilovers will stop working as good (since they are cheap), but so far they have worked magic for my setup. I read they start to crap out around 8-10k miles.

I dont plan on boosting past 35psi, but there really is no need to go any higher on a well prepared fp black setup anyways, because it is really on the edge of the compressor map.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 3, 2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 10:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3grst01
Can you ask them if they happen to have any dyno sheets of the turbos they have already completed there for example the fp red you mentioned ? That would be great if you could.
I will ask, but i dont wanna blast them with to many questions so early, so give me some time to ask for that data. I am pretty sure they have that data though.

Keep in mind most of the cars they tune/work on/drive are circuit cars for endurance races, so they do not run high psi like we do over here in the USA. most of those cars see no more then 25-28psi.

==================

To everyone else.. I wasn't going to publicize this, but i figured i should for the good of the community so we can get REAL WORLD results. It was a big let down not seeing the other threads results, so im here to get you guys the results no matter what it takes! I will be sharing my data & results with FP as well.

Im not sure if the forum has any how to's for installing turbos, but i may turn the thread into that as well to help others work on their own car as well.

The car is also getting a BR baffled oil pan and some other misc things as well to help control oil with the high lateral gforces this setup is going to produce.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds good! Can't wait to see the results. This should be very interesting.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I think you underestimate the traction you can get with a well built evo even on a mild budget coilover setup.

my car runs;

Megan Street coilovers
Whiteline Front Roll kit
Agency Power Front trans mount
Energy Suspension Bushings
255/35R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Shep ultimate transmission /w Full REM ISF process etc.
Shep stage 3 tcase /w QUAIFE LSD.

Its really hard to spin the tires in a hot summer day in anything after 1st gear even when you have 550wtq+ on tap as early as 4500rpm. The car also has a evo 9 1st gear. I suppose the roads play a huge roll on this also though.

Now I do understand the more I use the car the weaker the parts will get and eventually my coilovers will stop working as good (since they are cheap), but so far they have worked magic for my setup. I read they start to crap out around 8-10k miles.

I dont plan on boosting past 35psi, but there really is no need to go any higher on a well prepared fp black setup anyways, because it is really on the edge of the compressor map.
Just know that Nucci rode in Kessler's Evo when it made ~750whp on the FP Black. I think he's speaking from actual experience, not making threads about things that haven't happened yet. Just saying.

FYI,
Your coilovers never worked well. (or good as you said)
Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

I run Muellerized JIC's with 255/35 re01's and spin deep into 3rd making less torque than you, Tom.

Back to the initial post, I would love to see some results when you have them.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Just know that Nucci rode in Kessler's Evo when it made ~750whp on the FP Black. I think he's speaking from actual experience, not making threads about things that haven't happened yet. Just saying.

FYI,
Your coilovers never worked well. (or good as you said)
mikes car never made 750 on the street.. they pulled the line off the wastegate and did that.. it was a one time and done deal.. to me thats not a real 750whp car.. its a number chaser. its a real 690-700WHP car tho, but not 750.

The megan coilovers work pretty damn good when they have less then 2k miles on them so far from my experience. I went from spinning 3rd gear from rolls to no issues at all.

Maybe that was due to the tires more then anything else.. the tires are extremely good.. but the coilovers definitely made a big difference from what i could tell although I did change the coils, bushings, at the same time, so maybe the bushings also..

either way my car has no traction issues right now other then first gear and makes lots of tq. in the winter it spins 2nd from a 50mph roll when the roads are cold.

I never claimed the coils were the best or anything, i know they are budget coilovers but my car seems to be hooking up just fine on them.. so they must be doing something.

The reason im doing this and im not just sending my turbo to Owen's im having them build it from scratch since they are a FP dealer and get the parts there to build the turbos........ is because my black seized up (due to lack of oil supply).. so while that gets fixed i am also having Owen's build me a dual ball bearing fp black as well because id like to experience the fp black in a ball bearing form.. and yes im keeping both turbos..

If i tracked my car im sure the megan coilovers would suck ***.. im not denying that, but for what i do they are working.. (mostly straight line bursts and etc).

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 15, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
HA. You're funny.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 02:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
I run Muellerized JIC's with 255/35 re01's and spin deep into 3rd making less torque than you, Tom.

Back to the initial post, I would love to see some results when you have them.
you need a new setup then, thats all i have to say about that. how old is your suspension? or maybe the roads where you're from are smooth as hell? we have rough roads here.. example.. if you drag your hand across them you will get a brush burn.

care to video your car and pm me the link? then ill pm you a link of my car and we can compare how the speedometers sweep the mph gauge.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 02:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
HA. You're funny.
just telling the truth.. if the truth is funny then thats ok with me..

I dont mind criticism though.. thats why i made the thread.. and i knew you were gonna respond in here, but i figured i was gonna hear something more like
"You're wasting your time doing this, blah blah blah" .. but i didnt hear that yet.. im very interested in hearing what you have to say regarding converting the black
to a DBB turbo though.. waste of money right? if so i could say the same to you, since you got 10k in parts bolted to your car and you're only making 480 whp
with the turbo you chose.. and the reason you chose that turbo was specifically because it was dual ball bearing and quick responding..

wether you know it, like it, whatevs (hangover 2).. i have the same taste as you do in vehicle performance.. i wont bolt something up to my car that takes a year to spool up just for power.
I want the response downlow, mid range, and uptop.. i want a good clean powerband that has minimal lag (sound like im a referee for a boxing match now).. and i know you've been through tons of different builds yourself
as well, so you have plenty of experience and blown $ on different setups.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 5, 2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: lol

Quick Reply: Project FP Black DBB