Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Project FP Black DBB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by warp9
The only way this makes sense is to do what Tom has done. Take a blown turbo and send it in. Its makes no fiscal sense to take a new FP turbo and send it to have this done for $1200 & negating FPs warranty in the process. $3200 is OUT THERE

Sorry to poop on your thread man. It should be interesting to see how it spools and maybe even a long term look on the longevity with the BB. Good luck Tom
hey man if you're trying to compare a fp red to a black with BB center section + multiple other internal modifications including internal heat shield modifications and etc.. i dont know what to tell you.. this turbo will murder the red i can assure you that.

wait for the results and you'll see. yes its expensive, and no im not sending my blown turbo to Owens.. that is at FP getting repaired right now.. its staying journal bearing and im holding onto it... that turbo gets unlimited free repairs since im sponsored.

I am buying a new turbo straight up from Owens and using that. Heres the thing Warp9.. the numbers aren't gonna show the major impact on the ball bearing conversion.. shifting inbetween gears and transient response will, thats why ill be making a video to show that.. think of a fp black constantly staying spinning fast.. there will be no lag literally at all with my 2.3.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by warp9
Thats freaking retarded

Not to take anything away from you Tom and your testing but I cant justify spending $1200 more for 2-300 increase in spool. Just get Red..you seen what Curt made on it
^^^I agree with that BUT I am interested in seeing your results Tom.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm interested in seeing your results... If I don't beat you to the dyno

jk jk Lee will take good care of you and you will have a great product!

Mikey
Old Jun 5, 2011, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
^^^I agree with that BUT I am interested in seeing your results Tom.
Can you elaborate on why its retarded in having a more efficient turbo with no lag basically as tom has expressed already. This will be a faster spooling turbo that is more efficient.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Josh@MooreAutomotive
Can you elaborate on why its retarded in having a more efficient turbo with no lag basically as tom has expressed already. This will be a faster spooling turbo that is more efficient.
Explain what you mean by efficient? I don't think that is the right word to use. The DBB will do nothing for the efficiency of the turbo. Logevity would be a better word to use as the the turbo will last longer at max usable shaft speed and at lower oil pressure.

Efficiency would be the turbo's flow at a given boost pressure ie, compressor map changes, wheel clipping, turbine housing changes, etc...

You going to be at the tuning day next weekend Josh? I'll see you there if you are. I'm coming up with Matt.

Mikey
Old Jun 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
The BB chra is a great idea. One could argue bang for buck all day long. Curt Brown gets phenomenal results, not by having simple basic setups with no money spent on any parts... but by leaving no stone unturned. If you have the disposable income to build everything... why not? I don't understand your quips about me spending money on my car... and I really don't care. I'd BLOW more cash on my car if I could. And recently I've blown a bunch more... I just haven't felt the need to share. Things I'd love to have... 2 piece carbon driveshaft and Curt's Ceramic wheel bearings.
Watching a drag racer argue with a road course racer is funny. People spend a lot more on tubular T3 kit that wouldn't perform as well as this turbo so I don't see how this upgrade is outrageous. I for one am curious to see the gains not only for a black but for other bolt on turbos.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Explain what you mean by efficient? I don't think that is the right word to use. The DBB will do nothing for the efficiency of the turbo. Logevity would be a better word to use as the the turbo will last longer at max usable shaft speed and at lower oil pressure.

Efficiency would be the turbo's flow at a given boost pressure ie, compressor map changes, wheel clipping, turbine housing changes, etc...

You going to be at the tuning day next weekend Josh? I'll see you there if you are. I'm coming up with Matt.

Mikey
It will be efficient by not working near as hard to get the same power but with less boost most likely as the Ball Bearing will keep everything runing smooth with the less need to use as much oil. The more it spins when you are off and then back on boost you wont have any lag thus being more efficent,
Old Jun 5, 2011, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I'm interested in seeing your results... If I don't beat you to the dyno

jk jk Lee will take good care of you and you will have a great product!

Mikey
Ya Lee is awesome man. I never had a owner of a company spend over a hr on the phone with me before like he did. he shared all kinds of info with me and i felt really comfortable with him after we were done talking.

I am not even bothering with peak numbers lol.. id need to change my entire setup to compete with your car.. its not gonna happen.. you can keep the record and im sure once the weather gets colder you'll make the record even harder to beat

but at the end of the day your car still makes great power with minimal boost and thats all that matters! we dont want to beat our turbos 24/7 or they wont hold up.

Even with single scroll etc, your setup is still more responsive then most bigger framed turbos.. so IMO at the end of the day when us crazy people modify these stock frame turbos it pays off in the end.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 5, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

sounds yummy. cant wait.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Josh@MooreAutomotive
It will be efficient by not working near as hard to get the same power but with less boost most likely as the Ball Bearing will keep everything runing smooth with the less need to use as much oil. The more it spins when you are off and then back on boost you wont have any lag thus being more efficent,
he knows all that, he was just stating that the dual ball bearing isnt going to change the way the FP 82mm HTA compressor wheel flows air.. the choke line is still gonna remain the same, and the entire compressor map chart will be unchanged (atleast i think)..

Lee did state that i would most likely make alittle more power though at the same boost level vs a journal bearing design due to the drag or pull effect caused by the thrust bearings in a journal bearing setup.. i cant remember off the top of my head, but he said something along the lines of .. think of it as the faster the turbo spins the bearings want to spin the compressor wheel out of the housing.. so there is a massive restriction there when running lots of boost.. where as the ball bearing design does not have that drag or effect on the bearings & wheels when they are spinning fast.. this is why you can run a ball bearing turbo harder then a journal and it will last longer with the abuse.. not to mention the oiling as well.. the journal bearings are extremely Dependant on oil and oil pressure in general.. if you starve them of oil the bearings burn up very quickly, especially the red and black since its steel on steel custom thrust bearings.

the ball bearing doesn't require as much oil pressure, and is more forgiving if the pressure drops. but also if the ball bearing sees to much oil pressure it can be damaged also.. so theres always cons to a plus.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 5, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

good luck
Old Jun 7, 2011, 08:42 PM
Former Sponsor

figured id post this up its pretty neat. for anyone that ever wanted to know how to rebuild their own turbo check this out;

heres how to disassemble:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSZtP949JHU

heres how to assemble:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqXe0ln7-WQ
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This should be quite intresting. Thank you for posting up.

It will be intresting to see actual results from a BB FP Black. Will it shine or surge lol who know? lol.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
This should be quite intresting. Thank you for posting up.

It will be intresting to see actual results from a BB FP Black. Will it shine or surge lol who know? lol.
Shouldn't surge since the std black doesn't. The BB doesn't change anything with the compressor map or compressor cover which is the two main reasons why turbos surge. just my 2 cents.

Mikey
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Ya it wont surge. They wouldn't build it if they knew it wasn't going to work right. Owen developments has some serious experience in the turbocharger field. 30+ yrs of experience.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Jun 9, 2011 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Project FP Black DBB