Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spark Problem after cruise or full throttle...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Problem after cruise or full throttle...

I have a spark problem with an evo 8, I got the evo with a blown motor, broken head valves, etc.. it was all taken apart.

I ended up building the engine and put it back together, on the first start up everything seemed like it was fine except for a crank/cam correlation error or something like that, I changed the battery and it went away. The problem started once i started to drive it for the break in.

After driving the car for 10 - 15 min the car shut off, I checked everything, there was fuel in the car but no spark, after about 5 min there was spark again.

First thing I thought was bad coil packs so I changed them with 3 different pairs and the problem continued, it would work fine for 10 -15 min then it would shut off and 5 min later there would be spark again.

I had a odissey mini battery installed so I pulled it off and put a normal one on, the car did not shut off anymore and I drove it for 30 min without any problems.

Once I did my first full throttle pull the car once again shut off and there was no spark again and 5 min later there was spark again.

My guess is it loses sparks once I force the car, something is overheating and once it cools it works again. 2 of the times from the many I started her up it gave me a CPS code but the car started up fine without any problems, I erased the code and it has not come back on.

a couple of times when there is no spark and I crank it for a while it will throw that code again.

Do you guys think it could be a ground i might have forgot to put back on when installing the engine?

The idle is perfect, the car runs fine, that's the only problem after driving it for a while or going full throttle. Do you think the CPS might be going bad? Have any of you seen or heard of this problem before?

also i try with 3 different Cam sensors, 3 pairs of coils and the timing marks are lined up...

mods:
2.0 engine build 9.0:1 (wiseco pistons, manley rods)
272 Kelford Cams
walbro fuel pump
stock injectors
stock ECU
Stock MAF
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
If you are getting a P0335 then you have a bad sensor.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
If you are getting a P0335 then you have a bad sensor.
but that code only come when i crank the car alot of times.. if not, never back..

do you think is the sensor this problem??? can fail just some times and after a 5 minutes work again???

thanks for your help...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Is there also a Crank Positioning sensor on our Cars? I know some cars have both a Cam and Crank sensor.

Athanasios
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nashou66
Is there also a Crank Positioning sensor on our Cars? I know some cars have both a Cam and Crank sensor.

Athanasios

yes, Crank and Cam.. i replaced the cam sensor, but not the crank... i want to know more opinions/options after change that sensor..
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

come on guys, i need your help...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

try the crank position sensor that is what contributes to giving the car spark on these cars.