Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spòóf-7
Yes I have soaked the disc's before assembling it back together. Also yes I have just recently switched my fluid to diaqueen. Got the same results but seems to be a little better. But does anyone have recommendations if I should add a friction modifier additive, or just wait a couple 100 miles? Curious
The diaqueen already has it in there. I would drive it a bit and see if it goes away.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Sounds like some loose rear endlinks to me. Never heard that with my 12 plate restacked differential.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My TRE 12-plate made a similar noise when first installed - filled with Diaqueen (I also have an ACD reflash which tightens things up more as well). This quickly disappeared after break-in and a fluid change.

You can still feel its action in slow parking lot turns when there is sand on the ground - it is a motorsport oriented diff after all - but there no longer is any significant noise when turning now. Works like a charm ...

Originally Posted by sssr20det510
The diaqueen already has it in there. I would drive it a bit and see if it goes away.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up.
Time to check it out myself
Old Nov 28, 2015, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I just re-stacked my plates. I can't hear any new noises from the rear. I have no sound deadening, and back seats are removed, so I think I would have noticed a new noise.
The benefits are definitely noticeable. I took the car out on pavement, gravel, and snow. I just need to throw my snow tires on and really go tear it up!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the weir 12 plate installed this summer along with the ES bushings on the diff carrier and mustache bar.

I get a little bit of whine at steady speeds around 70 mph which i think is from the bushings transmitting more noise than the factory rubber ones. Not loud but i do have full interior etc so may be louder in a stripped car.

The diff is much more locked up now. Getting on it at low speed, the rear tends to rotate very well . Does it drift way out...no....but i do have to countersteer a bit at 40 mph going around sharp bends WOT

I used Daiqueen and 2 ounces of friction modifer in the rear after the breakin as it was quite loud. clunking snapping etc. Def quietened it down without losing much of the lockup.

I found one issue that can explain the clunking etc. Prior to the install, i was checking out the rear end for a very minor little clunk. Everything was very tight on the joints etc, bushings yada

However the drivers side axle going into the diff carrier moved about 1/8 inch if you pushed on it. And it gave a slight click/clunk when doing so. Passenger side had virtually no play.

I think with the diff now locked up better, the drivers side axle moves a little more readily so the clunk is more evident. Yes i already checked to ensure the axle clipped into place correctly....

So i have questions.....Is there a plain or sleeve bushing in the diff carrier that the axle rides in ? Is it replaceable? If so does anyone have a part number ? Is the bushing the same for both sides of the diff carrier ?

bumped for answers to the questions

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Nov 28, 2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Had this done for over a month. I also installed some Energy Suspension bushings kit for the diff. I may be one of the lucky ones that has not experienced any significant noise level increase since these mods. The car is pretty loud, but most of it is road noise and exhaust.
This has been a great mod for me, and I recommend it to anyone. I installed my snow tires a couple weeks ago and the car has been extremely fun in the snow and on gravel.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys what's up.. been doing alot of research on this rearrangement on factory plates and weirs 12 plate kit..I understand that more plates equals more friction. .I have a 2006 evo 9 and was wondering since everyone has done this mod.has yheir been any issues on a dd car? My car has complete bushing kit and bars..full suspenion. Is their any more crazy noises you guys picked up from ur experience doing this mod.. how bout with the weirs kit? Thanks brandon
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Do the 12 plate mod and enjoy driving your Evo like it should have come from the factory. Use Mitsu Diaqueen LSD oil and you won't have any issues with major binding and clunking noises.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 06:38 AM

plate work

I was told that rearrange the factory plates will work too..just won't have the bite of the 12 plate weir setup..has anyone had personal experiences with doing just that? I heard it makes it like the Japan evos?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been dd'ing for a few years with the restacked stock diff plates. No added noise, and definitely feels better than stock on the track. There are no downsides to doing this other than the actual work involved.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spitefire1
I was told that rearrange the factory plates will work too..just won't have the bite of the 12 plate weir setup..has anyone had personal experiences with doing just that? I heard it makes it like the Japan evos?
Yes, it will work, just re-arrange the stock plates. That's how it comes from the factory, just not in the U.S. lol.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:47 AM

Okay so last night I rearranged the factory plates.. car is 100 percent locking in rear..I used mitsubishi lsd 90 weight oil from dealer. Car makes noises in rear when turning. Am I using the right fluid..is their something to take chattering away..
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That's the noise it makes. You are using the right fluid. The chattering is why mitsu rearranged the plates, to keep it quiet.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spitefire1
Okay so last night I rearranged the factory plates.. car is 100 percent locking in rear..I used mitsubishi lsd 90 weight oil from dealer. Car makes noises in rear when turning. Am I using the right fluid..is their something to take chattering away..
It should quiet down after a few days of driving.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory