Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Cams/Stock Frame Turbo for a 2.0LR Build

Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Cams/Stock Frame Turbo for a 2.0LR Build

Hi, guys, I hope you can help me with my build. I'm building an evo track car, and while the car has been in suspension and chasis works, i've been doing some research and has reduce my options to these:

I'm definitely going with a 2.0 long rod build, i've found that manley makes 156mm rod and a piston for the 156mm rod and stock crakshaft. However, i'm also considering going with 156mm Oliver rods and custom wiseco hd pistons (mainly because oliver rods weight). Any dealer of these products is welcome to pm me their prices (; .

Saying that, I'm deciding between and FP RED or a CBRD BBK-B turbocharger, and JUN 272 or GSC S2 camshafts. If everything goes as planned the car would be able to participate in an historical race on december, i'm talking about racing continuously for 6 hours (just stoping for fuel filling).

Here's the race track, the speeds shown are from a Honda Integra DC5 race car, so an evo will fo faster:

Thanks in advance for the info mates, hope to read some answers soon.
Cheers,

R.-

ps: sorry for any grammatical error, don't have many opportunities to practice my english here ):
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

GSC S2's and either Turbo /thread
Old Jul 5, 2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the response, i've read that BBK-B would probably spool sooner but the FP Red will have more top end, is this 100% proved?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
id say ur best bet since ur road racing i know i do love my fp red, but there have been reports of road cars blowing the fp reds...ur best bet prolly a bbk b with the gsc s2 cams, would be a sick combo... good luck on the race...make sure not to drink a lot before u stop or else u will be doin pit stops a lot to take a **** hahah
Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

bbk and S2s for sure. sounds like an awesome time good luck bro!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you considered an increase in displacement? As you plan on building the motor you might consider how it could lend itself to your application.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

BBK-B, GSC S2s are probably the best choices, but I'm curious about the decision to build the motor as a 2.0L for road racing. It seems many of the road racing cars with built motors traditionally go with 2.2L or 2.3L stroker motors. Less boost required, faster spool, and lower revs.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the responses mates.

As for the displacement my first choice was going 2.2L, but haven't really found detailed information of how to make a custom build of those, just the really expensive jun, cossie, tomei, and other great brand$ kit$. Any info about these would be extremely appreciated .

It seems as bbk-b w/ s2 cams would be the best choice, let's finishing deciding about the block displacement to do one big buy and a big hole in my wallet.

Cheers and thanks again to all for the info in advance.

R.-
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
A 2.3 will use a 100mm crank, 150mm rods and pistons of your choice, as well as retain your stock block.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
A 2.3 will use a 100mm crank, 150mm rods and pistons of your choice, as well as retain your stock block.
I thought that the best choice for track is going 2.2 because you would win displacement vs a 2.0, so plus gaining some torque, you can still rev harder; or am I wrong?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of the really high end time attack builds use 2.2L for a compromise of added displacement vs. revability. The 2.2L builds tend to be more expensive because you can't just use a 4G64 crank like you can for a 2.3L build.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I would highly recommend the BBK-B and GSC S2 combination.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If i read that coarse correctly---thats 210kph in the long straight away or something around 95mph at top speed---with that said thinking the bbk and quicker spool over the red which as i see it would be just beginning to breath at that speed before braking into the corner. You need midrange all over and torque for a road coarse like that--, low end over top end so choose accordingly.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
If i read that coarse correctly---thats 210kph in the long straight away or something around 95mph at top speed---with that said thinking the bbk and quicker spool over the red which as i see it would be just beginning to breath at that speed before braking into the corner. You need midrange all over and torque for a road coarse like that--, low end over top end so choose accordingly.
Yup, I agree with this. You may want to consider running a BBK-Full over a BBK-B for improved low/mid end for a course like this.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 04:30 PM

First, doing some research i found that a 94mm crank + 156mm rods + custom pistons (with the wrist pin moved up 9mm for a long rod set-up), could make a pretty decent 2.2L build. Does someone have any experience/info about this?

For the other part 210kph is aprox. 132mph, and as I mentioned in my first post, the speeds are referential cause they're from a race honda integra dc5 (so an evo is suposed to go faster thant that). I'll consider bbk-full if i finally go 2.0LR but the 2.2LR build is now more present in my head .

Thanks in advance for the info and opinions guys, let's continue with the discussion .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Cams/Stock Frame Turbo for a 2.0LR Build