Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Reflashed ECU and black grit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS...

Hey Al,

My girlfriend (GOD bless her) got me a Hallman EVolution Pro RX MBC...the kind that you adjust from inside the car....for Christmas How much of a gain should I expect?
Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by GottaGoFaster
PS...

Hey Al,

My girlfriend (GOD bless her) got me a Hallman EVolution Pro RX MBC...the kind that you adjust from inside the car....for Christmas How much of a gain should I expect?
Nice girl - send it up for a free upgrade - you'll make almost 20 more whp
Old Jan 2, 2004, 06:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DynoFlash
I just don't know what you want

I talked with you on the phone at legnth on the 30th - before you got the wideband test done - told you to send me the results and I would try and lean your car out - thereby giving you free custom tuning even though you only paid for a 92 octane base map

I also offered you a full refund if you were not happy

What else do you want me to do for you ? This is a $200.00 through the mail flash - we are CONSERVATIVE with the tune to make sure NO ONE has any serious problems or detonation issues

Your tune is leaner than stock ALL my flashes take fuel OUT. But - ALL base maps on 91 and 92 octane are still quite rich - WHY - car to car variances - its not SAFE to run a through the mail flash very lean

Finally - your GAS you are using COULD be of poor quality - try switching gas brands and see if that has any effect

PS - WHAT GEAR did you test in? Also - was it flat or up hill? How much time did you allow between pulls?

So if the customer called you about this already, and the fix was offered, why is this thread even posted up here? It's starting to sound like bad "consumer" service...
Old Jan 2, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Nice girl - send it up for a free upgrade - you'll make almost 20 more whp
Free upgrade? Damn, that rocks!!

Should I have the MBC installed first, dial it in then send you my ECU, then after I get the ECU back from you redial it in?

I am real anxious to get the MBC installed cuz with the AEM intake, Buschur Muffler Delete pipe and your Dynoflash I was producing 265whp with 1-1.5psi less boost. What are you going to do different to the ECU than you did before when I was on the Dyno at Pruven?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 08:56 AM
Account Disabled

Free upgrade? Damn, that rocks!!

Should I have the MBC installed first, dial it in then send you my ECU, then after I get the ECU back from you redial it in?

I am real anxious to get the MBC installed cuz with the AEM intake, Buschur Muffler Delete pipe and your Dynoflash I was producing 265whp with 1-1.5psi less boost. What are you going to do different to the ECU than you did before when I was on the Dyno at Pruven?
The best way to do it is to get a retune on the dyno or road - PM me for a special price

When you raise the boost you alter the tune - actually you could prob just turn it up the way it is - but its best to get the re-tune

You can have the through the mail upgrade for free or a reduced rate on a retune
Old Jan 2, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Picture of exhaust

This is what my exhaust looks like. It was wiped clean 2 days ago. I wiped it clean, and then within a few hours of drive time it looks like this again? Now if Im leaner after the flash, and didnt notice anywhere near the black grit (unburnt gas) before on my stock exhaust tip, what is the deal? Could it be the Exhale?

Or is this what others look like? I dont know. All Im concerned with is if it looks like this on the end of my exhaust, what does the rest of my system look like? Plugs, hot spots?

As far as the dynoflash goes I can really tell a performance difference from stock, this is the only thing I have a concern about. Or maybe it is normal for exhaust to look like this after a mail in flash.
Attached Thumbnails Reflashed ECU and black grit?-exhaust-008.jpg  
Old Jan 2, 2004, 10:58 AM
Account Disabled

Re: Picture of exhaust

Originally posted by silvrevo
This is what my exhaust looks like. It was wiped clean 2 days ago. I wiped it clean, and then within a few hours of drive time it looks like this again? Now if Im leaner after the flash, and didnt notice anywhere near the black grit (unburnt gas) before on my stock exhaust tip, what is the deal? Could it be the Exhale?

Or is this what others look like? I dont know. All Im concerned with is if it looks like this on the end of my exhaust, what does the rest of my system look like? Plugs, hot spots?

As far as the dynoflash goes I can really tell a performance difference from stock, this is the only thing I have a concern about. Or maybe it is normal for exhaust to look like this after a mail in flash.
With the a/f's you are running - that would be expected - you still did not answer my above questions

Feel free to send it in for a leaner adjustment - but the tail pipe will still look similar

I would be more interested to see a spark plug after a long pull

TRY changing your gas station -what gas do you use now?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Re: Picture of exhaust

Originally posted by silvrevo

Looks like my Works P1 flash... I think their tune is even leaner that Al's
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

The best way to do it is to get a retune on the dyno or road - PM me for a special price

When you raise the boost you alter the tune - actually you could prob just turn it up the way it is - but its best to get the re-tune

You can have the through the mail upgrade for free or a reduced rate on a retune
The "through the mail upgrade for free", what would you do to my ECU on top of the flash that I got from you on the dyno at Pruven to incorporate the new MBC?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Al,
92 AmacoUltimate is the only high octane gas here.

The a/f numbers were in 3rd gear, so that we wouldnt be doing 100+ on the streets. When the sweep from 6-7500 was on the Interstate going on a semi/decline, also in 3rd. We had 9.6-9.8

Thanks Zeus, thats what Im looking for,

Are the plugs easy to get at? And when would you like to see a picture of one?

And as for a refund, Im not looking to get my money back, Im not looking to say this dynoflash sucks, it is not worth it. Im not looking to have you set my air/fuel to what ever I want while signing a disclaimer. I have no idea where they should be. But leaning it out a bit might be an idea, how much, dont ask me??

I do think that having it tuned on a dyno is the best way to have this done. I totally understand where your coming from by not going too lean, the cars do vary. So Al Im not unhappy with Your product, the only thing Im concerned is what my exhaust tip is telling me?

More feedback from others is more than welcomed, on how their exhausts look.

BTW....... my car does pull harder, and I do like that!!!
So thanks for YOUR time Al.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

silverevo, is this your first turbo'd car?... Because your tailpipe looks normal. Not only does my tailpipe look like that, but my bumper is covered with that soot too.

This is what I think is happening here... I think that when you had your stock muffler on, you didn't really pay attention to how dirty your tip looked. But after you installed the Work's peice, since it was new and shiny you really noticed it when it got dirty. Just MO. I wouldn't worry about it unless your car starts running funny.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Exhuast smoke is dirty all mufflers look like this...I went outside got a rag and rubbed the inside of my stock muffer tip,has alot of soot and completely stock...

Your exhaust is normal... You can probably notice it more since the works tail pipe is silver?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled

Before I saw the picture - I had visions of nightmarish soot and blsck deposits - BUT after seeing the picture its obvious this condition is normal and within specs

On the through the mail flashes - i expect the cars to run a bit richer than we would run them on a custom tune - this allows for car to car variance and keeps everyone safe and happy under all kinds of conditions

WITH MY a/f gauge - Motec - I like to see a 10.6 - 10.8 a/f on a 92 octane map in 3rd gear

This guy's tune is a bit richer than that - but only slightly richer and only in the high rpms

The richness we see on top in his case is prob becuase he is making a bit more power than other similar evos with same mods and therefore seeing MORE airflow which is sending him into a richer arear of the map

In any event - he is still at least 10 - 15% leaner than stock and will have no problems what so ever running the car as is - its leaner than stock but still rich enough to be totally 100% safe

As far as adjusting this tune further - I would only feel 100% confident to do so with my wideband and datalogger hooked up to monitor the results - - I can not trust the accuracy of the figures you have recorded and also can not rule out that the rich condition on top may be caused by some other meachanical issue with your car - such as a boost leak - etc.

That is why I am willing to lean out your car a bit to try and get a constant 10.8 a/f accross the pulls - BUT - seeing as the car is not in front of my eyes as I am doing it - YOU must assume the risk.

YOU ALREADY have the tune which I feel is safe and dependable for a through the mail tune on 92 octane

PS - My car runs almost as rich as yours and my muffler and back bumper get decent amounts of the same black soot as you have in your picture
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:51 PM
In Timeout

So now people think they have a problem because of the exhaust soot? Come on people calm down.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

The "through the mail upgrade for free", what would you do to my ECU on top of the flash that I got from you on the dyno at Pruven to incorporate the new MBC?
Al?

Quick Reply: Reflashed ECU and black grit?