Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bent shaft on 71hta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 04:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Send it in to FP and hope they warranty it, and either way buy their oil line or at the very least use the stock oil feed instead of some homemade thing that can be brought into question. FP doesn't require their feed line for the Green or smaller.
Dude fp.charges too much for their line. Mine is constructed exactly in the same way. Ill never buy that line seeing as how I know how much that stuff costs. Theturbo never even boosted as well . The turbo is clearly getting oil btw.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Its not like I used pop can fire oil line folks. Its all quality an hardware. With earls filter.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What gets me is you say the "whine". The 84mm comp cover makes a whining sound when spooling up. It sounds quite high pitch. I am not sure if you have had one on before. If it is not moving in and out and only moving about an 1/8th of an inch side to side which is about 2-3mm. It is with in spec. I believe.

I not saying that it is not messed up. I am just curious...

Is it smoking? Any more pics that show the damage to the blades?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 05:40 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm not putting fp's oil line down, its just that economically speaking they use jic fittings and hose that is available anywhere. I only had search for the bspt. I dig what fp does

The shaft is clearly bent and 3 blades have dug into the surge port to the point where there is blade that rides in the surge port grove. I can get pics tomorrow of that. bearing hardly feels bad. I bet there is something else ... If fp blames my feed line for no other reason than it not being theirs then I will feel different. Afaik I built it precisely in function.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I have just purchased and installed a 71hta, along with my homebrew oil line. I primed the turbo, it had good oil pressure, and within minutes of driving the tell tale whining of compressor wheel touching housing was evident. I pulled my fp84mm intake, and it was evident that 3 blades have been worn against the compressor housing, and the shaft is visually bent. What gives?
How do you know it had good oil pressure? What was your "homebrew oil line"? New or used? What filter did you have in the line? Where did it feed from?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Did you read anything? I cracked the banjo with the fuel relay out and oil was just a coming.and as stated earls inline filter , and -4 fittings and hose. what makes you suspect the an oil feed line ? anyways.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Sep 5, 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your homemade oil line have a restrictor in it?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostINurI
Does your homemade oil line have a restrictor in it?
Why do you ask? Should it? The oil line restrictor is required if the turbo has a ball bearing center section. I think that Ratty's HTA 71 is journal bearing equipped. Isn't it?

Since he's gonna have to send it back to FP to be rebuilt anyway, now would be a good time to get the BB upgrade if he has the spare cash on hand.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 5, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
How do you know it had good oil pressure? What was your "homebrew oil line"? New or used? What filter did you have in the line? Where did it feed from?
Did you read anything? I cracked the banjo with the fuel relay out and oil was just a coming.and as stated earls inline filter , and -4 fittings and hose. what makes you suspect the an oil feed line ? anyways.
I read the whole thread and all of your posts. You didn't mention the answers to the questions I asked.

Turbo oiling needs specific pressure. The fact that you cracked your connector "and oil was just a coming" does not provide any useful information to assess whether you had adequate pressure.

I'm just asked you for the same kind of information that a turbo supplier like FP would want to know to assess what happened and what might have caused it...

Where did you feed the oil supply from? Head? Oil filter housing?

Either way, FP will take it apart and let you know what they find.

Last edited by CO_VR4; Sep 5, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:37 PM
EvoM Guru

You' re right it didn't provide any useful information except it was getting oil pressure from the filter housing. Just as fp recommended.for this turbo if I planned to push it. which I did.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed this happened, but at the very least it's a learning experience and not just an expense if I did make a mistake.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Sep 5, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 02:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Can anyone tell me how many holes the factory oil feed banjo bolt has?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone tell me how many holes the factory oil feed banjo bolt has?
You mean the stock feed at the cylinder head?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

No the stock banjo in the turbo
Old Sep 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It has two holes on the sides and one at the bottom for an outlet.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Why do you ask? Should it? The oil line restrictor is required if the turbo has a ball bearing center section. I think that Ratty's HTA 71 is journal bearing equipped. Isn't it?

Since he's gonna have to send it back to FP to be rebuilt anyway, now would be a good time to get the BB upgrade if he has the spare cash on hand.
The FP line has a restrictor in it yes. Most BB turbos dont need a restrictor in line. Journal bearing turbos need to have good oil pressure for the bearing to "float" and function properly. Im gonna bet the farm his diy oil line was not supplying the right pressure in end toasting the bearing.

I was going the same route with making my own line....after i totaled it all up along with restrictor it was about $25 short from being a FP line. So i found one in the for sale thread for $150.

Quick Reply: Bent shaft on 71hta