Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Stock Frame Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As has been said any of the aforementioned turbos can and will help you with your goal. I personally have had great experience with the FP turbos, and have seen the FP black make some great power as well as some impressive drag times. Pick a turbo that fits your needs and your budget and go with it.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like my BBK Full....

Just do some more research on your needs and goals....
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I literally sit up every night, searching through EvoM and various other online resources for the most perfect to my liking stock frame turbo. I want a turbo that is capable of going mid 120's- 130mph in the 1/4 (400ish STM MD whp), that's proven reliable and above all retains stock like spool characteristic. From what I read the BBK-Full takes the cake for me. With people on here giving dyno numbers from a "virtual dyno" , and then the variance between all dyno's its hard to say what will do what. Here's my findings:

-BBk-Full will go 120+ in the 1/4 on 93oct
-AWD trapped a best of 136 on it
-CBRD seems to be very professional with questions and issues concerning the turbo (although haven't seen a lot of issues, parts do fail things do break and people are dumb)
-You don't have to sell your grandmother and your siblings to buy one
-It's not a whored out turbo. If something works it works, but sometimes man people just wear the names out.
-Of course a IX turbo you can go 120 even 130, but why not have room to expand and be different.

The end.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 04:10 AM

hks 7460 or green hta73 ball bearing if it's available
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:30 PM

Anyone have a review of the Tomei turbo?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lostmexican
Anyone have a review of the Tomei turbo?
I installed one for a friend. He doesn't like it. He told me he's going to go HKS or BBK full
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:07 AM

Really what didn't he like about it?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:46 AM

tomei turbo

tomei turbo surges according to English Racing. Car also didn't make much WHP on there dyno.
Go with a BBK-full.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

CBRD is a great company to give your money to, lol. Products are great, and customer service is fantastic, one of the best in the business.

I use the BBK full and it is an incredible all around turbo. Spool and response is near instant, but yet it manages to pull to redline (and on modern muscle, lol)

When/if I build a 2.3, I will be going with a BBK-B.

Good luck!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

there seems to be alot of love for the BBK turbo's, but every single one (that ive seen in the dyno section) has slower spool and less low end torque compared to the FP green. this is not a knock against CBRD but it seems to be a common trend for the torque and spool to be slower then the FP's Green.

im sure either bbk full or fp green will get you to where you want, im a torque junkie so id pick the green personally.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

None of my stuff is fitted infact, most of it is sitting at cbrd.
I can though vouch for cbrd's service, 2nd to none and immense detail. Speak to Chad about what you want to achieve and he'll tell you a no bs way to achieve it
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

I made 441hp/439tq on the stock IX turbo with E85.

I had a bit higher goals than you and went with an FP Red and I'm really happy with it.

Edit: And +1 for talking to Chad@CBRD about exactly what you're after.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
there seems to be alot of love for the BBK turbo's, but every single one (that ive seen in the dyno section) has slower spool and less low end torque compared to the FP green. this is not a knock against CBRD but it seems to be a common trend for the torque and spool to be slower then the FP's Green.

im sure either bbk full or fp green will get you to where you want, im a torque junkie so id pick the green personally.
I don't think that is accurate. The HTA Green is a great turbo, but it generally gives up a small amount of spool for a bit more power up top due to slightly higher flow capability. OG Green isn't even in contention at this point.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still sticking with the HTA Green as the best stock frame street turbo, I went 141.82 on it on a lesser setup than I have now in full street trim 340 tread wear tires and all, hell 137 on pump, even all these half *** drag cars can't touch the Greens awesomeness
Old Oct 8, 2011, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

all of those turbos are good suggestions, me im runnin a 64mm fp red 30k miles on it thus far on pump gas, leave yourself some room to grow, you say you want 450ish hp, the greens and bbks well get you there on high boost race gas mode, but leavin yourself with a black or red, means a lot more power potential on high boost race gas, and lag is overrated imo, a 4200 rpm full boost is nothin you wink theres a difference in spoolup for a lot more top end. Now had the black been able when I bought the red, wouldve gotten the black. But some want that quick spool, nope instead of some quick jabs, i want a **** back and one punch good night kinda turbo haha So there ya go man, think after you hit your goal if your setup you want is gonna be limited by then, or if theres still room to grow. I think ill be happy with 500 ish on e85. But by that time im sure ill blow my red up haha knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Best Stock Frame Turbo