Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Stock Frame Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Stock Frame Turbo

I have a bone stock Evo 8 with 100K and I am looking to begin my upgrades. I am looking for a max of 450whp only with a stock frame set-up! What turbo is the best bang for the buck?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:51 AM

Fp green
Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

bang bang for the back Evo 9 turbo can make 400-420 whp

For what you are looking for HTA Green very good pump gas turbo too with good torque.

Best Best stock frame turbo new BB FP BLACK nut requieres good supporting mods.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I normally don't say this but use the search button...

Turbo choice is very subjective. You have to think about your goals with the car.

What are your current mods? What mods do you plan to do?

With the right setup the your stock turbo could probably touch it.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends on cams, fuel availability, and intended use. Saying, stock frame turbo for 450 whp is useless.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Best turbo choice is the smallest turbo that will produce the power that you want.

BBK Full or FP Green are obvious choices. I prefer the service that Chad @ CBRD gives me so to me, the BBK is the way to go.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:31 AM

I have all stock internals fuel is going to be a deatsch 300 fp do not know about injectors yet leaning toward FIC and possibly going E85

So Far I have :Megan manifold and O2 housing, 3inch downpipe test and HKS Hi-Power cat back, ETS 3.5 FMIC with lower pipe kit, K&N open air filter with adapter.

Going to use a stock ecu tune
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
I normally don't say this but use the search button...

Turbo choice is very subjective. You have to think about your goals with the car.

What are your current mods? What mods do you plan to do?

With the right setup the your stock turbo could probably touch it.
To elaborate, here is an example of deductive reasoning at work! These are my personal conclusions of the best stock frame turbos based on my own needs for my car. Reliability is the most important factor.

Street Use/DD: HKS GTII 7640R or the up and coming BB FP Green. The hks turbo spools almost quicker than stock and holds trq well into redline. I have not seen results yet for the bb green but if I was ever going to buy an fp turbo it would be that one. Clearly, the intended purpose assumed here is instant power, stock like spool, and reliability.

mild Street Use/Autox/track: BB FP Red or BBK-Full. I'm willing to give up a few revs for a bit more useable power at the track.

Track/Drag: BB FP Black. Nuff said.

Again this is all subjective; I'm personally willing to pay a few extra bucks for the reliability of a BB turbo. I don't know if you are, but go lurk the forums and find out.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:58 AM

Is the HKS a BB, I was looking at the results from the Tomei set up but I just noticed that it is a journal bearing
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a ton of options for stock frame turbos now... the HKS turbo is ball bearing, as is the new FP series of turbos. The ball bearing options are significantly more expensive than the equivalent journal bearing turbos. As Boltz said, you want the smallest turbo that will get you the power range you want. If you do go to E85 you can easily max out the stock block on a BBK Full or HTA Green. Those are my two favorite turbos for stock block Evo's. Like Boltz, I've had good experiences with CBRD and love the BBK-Full.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
http://turbos.maperformance.com/evo-turbos.html
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a journal bearing turbo it is very hard to beat CBRD's BBK Full. Chad & the rest of the CBRD crew are a great group of people to deal with. I run 93 oct. all the time & wanted a little more power so now I have the BBK-B. Ball bearing BBK-Bs are in the works. Depending on your supporting mods & if you run e85, a BBK Full will have you very close to the 450whp you are looking for, all depending on the dyno. FP's new ball bearing stock frame turbo line up looks good as well.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me know if we can be of assistance-

we have a few smaller options now- and some different options coming-

450whp is alot ( on my dyno) unless ur running built head/E85 etc---

cb
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maperformance

100+
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The FP Green HTA is a fantastic street turbo in the HP range you are targeting, with very good spool characteristics. Curt Brown (legendary) says the HTA Green is the favorite of all the turbos he's run, and that's a lot.

You may be able to find one of the journal bearing HTA Greens still around for sale. They are excellent turbos.

The current version is the Ball Bearing HTA Green, which has much better transient response, and will live longer than any journal bearing turbo when pushed, simply from the inherent advantages of the ball bearing configuration. They're available now. I have one in my hands.

You will find several threads on their dyno and street performance if you search this board for HTA Green. Here are a few:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...wild-mild.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-vr-speed.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-bolt-ons.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sh-racing.html

That gives you a flavor for both the journal bearing and the ball bearing versions. Good luck with your selection.

Quick Reply: Best Stock Frame Turbo