Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM wideband problem

Old Oct 6, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM wideband problem

Hey guys,

Ever since I bought my car last year I was always suspicious about my wideband. For some reason it wont read at idle. The guy that sold me the car said thats how the idle was setup but recently my tuner said different. It maxes the gauge out lean and does not show any numbers. My tuner added a bunch of fuel at idle to see if it would start reading and it never did... Even While the car was sputtering from too much fuel... While driving, the guage seems to read fine and at WOT it seemed fine and would stay steady. Lately at wot the guage jumps around and never stays even fairly steady. I replaced the sensor with no luck and tried swapping the guage with my buddy with no luck aswell. I have yet to go over the wiring which is what im going to do next. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be or anyone have a similar issue? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

If you changed the sensor and the guage then it had to be the wiring i would think. there cant be much more to go wrong then that.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
well hopefully your tuner tuned you based on a sniffer or your actual wideband readout and not that aem. if u changed the sensor and gauge then all thats left is wiring.
I have a feeling he tapped one of the wires (blue or white) into the wrong spot. basically all you need if you just want to monitor is to ground and power it. everything else is read from the sensor. so run thru and look at where the blue and white wires are, you dont need those for it to work, so just cap them off and zip tie them such that they dont touch anything.
i installed mine a few weeks ago and it works perfectly. the blue and white wires are or logging and output respectively. and i didnt use those.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

I talked to a few people and it seems as though my sensor is too far back in the exhaust stream. The o2 sensor is located right after the test pipe ( right under the passenger seat ). I am going to go ahead and put it in the downpipe and see if that helps.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ That's not an issue. A good number of people have taken out their rear o2 and put a wideband in place of it. Granted they have to make necessary changes in their ROM via EcuFlash to do so. But no the location of your sensor is not going to help it any.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure you have a good solid ground. Also can you log from Evoscan?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, forgot to mention im on an AEM EMS. Im going to go over the wiring aswell. Would it be worth it to put the Wideband sensor in the downpipe? I purchased the bung already.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ No, it's not going to make a difference moving the sensor. Honestly, just go over the wiring. Like mentioned check your ground for the wideband, could just be a bad spot for it, which is giving you the inconsistent readings like you're getting.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you already put in a new sensor, why not try to adjust your tune and see if the gauge starts to read where it should?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

So I grounded the wideband to the battery and made no difference. I also moved the sensor upstream with no difference aswell. Im out of ideas. My Tuner tried adding lots of fuel at idle and the wideband reading did not change.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you test the sensor off the car. You can google it there is a you tube on how to. I am still leaning towards an electrical issue.