Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust volume - PoPo bustin my b....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust volume - PoPo bustin my b....

Hey guys.

So it's 4:30 am and I'm pulling into 7-11 for my coffee.
5-0 rolls past me as I shut the car and gives me a look.
Now I go to get gas, and bam, he hits his lights.

I'm thinking to myself, he's got a h..d .n for my car.

To his surprise, I roll down my window and says, hey your car is a little loud and we don't see guys your age(I'm 46) driving cars like this. Is this your car??

I said yes. He's says fine and let's me go. Little did I know they ride with a meter which he elected not to test my car with.

Sooo, as to avoid a future encounter, please suggest an exhaust that may quite things down. I'm keeping the test pipe.

Currently running megan downpipe, test pipe, and what looks like 3" all the way muffler. Bought it with this exhaust, so I'm not sure if it's stock.

I feel for you younger guys, guaranteed he would have given me a ticket if I wasn't older then him....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

You can replace your test pipe with another muffler or a HFC, that should quiet down a bit....im doing the muffler so i dont lose any HP.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Any idea which muffler would fit? I'm guessing it would need to be same length as test pipe.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got tired of the popo also so I got a varex muffler and no more problems
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by catman78
Any idea which muffler would fit? I'm guessing it would need to be same length as test pipe.
I dont really know which one, im getting the longest one because I have a neckdown in my catback which I want to get rid off. I dont think any of them are actually made to replace the test pipe so you might have to make a muffler shop cut and weld it on...i might be wrong though
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:00 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by catman78
To his surprise, I roll down my window and says, hey your car is a little loud and we don't see guys your age(I'm 46) driving cars like this. Is this your car??
...this would have gone over well. I'm 48.

Little did I know they ride with a meter which he elected not to test my car with.
Did he show you a SPL meter, or just say that he had one and threatened to use it? Interestingly enough, AFAIK, it's illegal to modify any part of the exhaust in NYS, dBs aside, so the cop really didn't need to measure anything.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 15, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I feel ya. Test pipe cams an ti exhaust = rager
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Just should have pulled out your AARP card! My car is pretty quiet unless wot. My wife hates it so I bought a silencer. it fits inside the tailpipe and a simple allen screw holds it in place. However I must not have tightened enough one day so it is somewhere between exit 18 and 11 on NJTP it yours if you find it.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you wanna quiet down your exhaust we have the same type of overly car aggresive popo's here in cali: I had an exhaust shop in the straight catback portion of my exhaust weld 2 18" preforated style resonators, that restrict noise but not flow of exhaust. So your car should still breathe as well as it did prior, but cruising and idle db's should be lower to a more quieter level. Have an exhaust shop get you a quote on those.

On a side note, you shouldve asked the cop why hes profiling you, I guess only punk kids like people my age should be driving these cars (im 27 haha), but good luck man, I guess NY is as hard pressed on that bs more then cali.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Did he show you a SPL meter, or just say that he had one and threatened to use it? Interestingly enough, AFAIK, it's illegal to modify any part of the exhaust in NYS, dBs aside, so the cop really didn't need to measure anything.
NYS does have a modified exhaust law but it reads very loosely, along the lines of "dont do anything that makes it louder". however im not aware of any specific DB limits, so if its not outrageous they basically wont harass you. ive had plenty of modified cars in NY and never had an issue with exhaust of all things, and that includes a caged 92 civic hatch with a straight piped exhaust on a non turbo motor...never bothered once! lol. its not like cali where they can just write an illegal exhaust ticket, but you can get an exhaust NOISE ticket.

ive gotten more tickets in my friggin saabs than hondas or evo.

i have the cobb catback and it atleast looks pretty stock so i have yet to be bothered. you might look into something like the vibrant ultra quiet resonator (muffler style) or add another 18 inch resonator in the long straight section to try and take some of the deep bass at idle out...that should do it.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:44 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
NYS does have a modified exhaust law but it reads very loosely, along the lines of "dont do anything that makes it louder". however im not aware of any specific DB limits, so if its not outrageous they basically wont harass you.
Interesting points. Seeing how many of us live in NYS, I thought I'd look up the exact wording:

Section 375. Subsection 31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise.

Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device.

No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 15, 2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I mean I'm sure it will vary based on where you are. I'm from orange county about 60 miles from NYC, and our cops as well as the state dopes will write you a lot stupider tickets before they go for exhaust, I've only had friends get it tacked on on say a speeding stop when they gor for tint, exhaust etc, because they don't like you.

Unfortunately I think the law is loose enough that it can both help and hurt the driver at the same time.

I wonder how many local municipalities have exact db limits or stricter exhaust ordinances.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
You can replace the test pipe with a "bullet" muffler of your choice. Dynomax makes them in various diameters and lengths. There are also options from magnaflow and borla - they're all basically glasspacks and dynomax bullets never let me down. This will reduce your power slightly over a test pipe, but will muffle your exhaust substantially without messing up the note too much. You can actually just measure the length you need, buy the right length muffler and weld brackets on yourself (or pay a shop to do it). I did this before and it works well.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a Rsr Exmag exhaust. Sounds very good and quiet.. its 80MM piping and there are a few designs to the muffler.... (straight thru, Not straight thru) I have the straight and its stilll very quiet.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Get a Fujitsubo RM-01A.