Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

--- Kelford 280 & BC Springs and Retainers ---

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
--- Kelford 280 & BC Springs and Retainers ---

I am gathering parts rather quickly since I am deployed. I have some brand new Kelford 280s and was wondering what springs and retainers are you guys personally using. I am thinking about purchasing some BC single springs and retainers for just the added peace of mind. I was told that these are safe up to 8,500 RPM which is more than comfortable for my intended use. If you fellahs that are running the Kelford 280s on a different spring and retainer set up, please let me know what you recommend. Thank you.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running beehives
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BenJ
I'm running beehives
What brand? Thus far I have looked at the MAP and FP versions respectfully.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

i wuld probly go wid supertech single springs n retainers... if DD i wuldnt recmd dual springs
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by triple L
i wuld probly go wid supertech single springs n retainers... if DD i wuldnt recmd dual springs
I believe that I am either going with the MAP, FP, or GSC beehive springs as they are more durable than both the traditional single and dual springs respectively.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

i ran bc springs and retainers to 8k rpm on very mild cams. when i switched to gsc s2 cams i also went to gsc beehives because i didnt trust the bc with the agressive cams. the kelfords r agressive enough that i wouldnt trust the bc springs.

if u do a search for kiggly, he did some testing with good info on beehives and y they work better.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoxsi
i ran bc springs and retainers to 8k rpm on very mild cams. when i switched to gsc s2 cams i also went to gsc beehives because i didnt trust the bc with the agressive cams. the kelfords r agressive enough that i wouldnt trust the bc springs. if u do a search for kiggly, he did some testing with good info on beehives and y they work better.
I read a good deal about the differences between the beehive, dual, and single springs.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I went with the GSC beehive springs.

Last edited by Levar; Oct 31, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

nice!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:53 PM

i have kelford 280s just run the the kelford beehives
Old Nov 3, 2011, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

the 280 cams have quite a bit of lift. more then what is recommended for the FP beehives. the map springs you would need their ultimate duty springs.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well to be honest man Ive ran hks 272 cams on the bc springs retainers for about 30k on my built engine no issues, and had some gsc s2 cams swapped in with same bc springs retainers about 4-5k ago, no problem with it, still sees 8k rpm shifts almost daily. Now I dont know how much more lift the kelford 280's have over the s2s. But if u read the specs for a standard single spring, the BC's actually have pretty good numbers. And they might be made in china according to some people, but the proof is in the pudding. They work and the retainers are made of titanium, and if you do the conversions from inches to mm, comparing some of the online companies and there specs on there springs/retainer kits, the specs of the spring pressure the amount it moves, as well as where the spec is on coil bind the bc springs are right in the middle of a couple manufacturers offering either a similar valve springs or a beehive style valve spring. However, I would double check with your tuner or shop if there doing the install, make sure the lift of those wont be too much, or it might be better to maybe go dual valve spring, or a stiffer spring so those cams wont beat up too much on the valvetrain.
Good luck
Old Nov 6, 2011, 07:04 PM

gsc ftw...
Old Nov 6, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dastallion951
well to be honest man Ive ran hks 272 cams on the bc springs retainers for about 30k on my built engine no issues, and had some gsc s2 cams swapped in with same bc springs retainers about 4-5k ago, no problem with it, still sees 8k rpm shifts almost daily. Now I dont know how much more lift the kelford 280's have over the s2s. But if u read the specs for a standard single spring, the BC's actually have pretty good numbers. And they might be made in china according to some people, but the proof is in the pudding. They work and the retainers are made of titanium, and if you do the conversions from inches to mm, comparing some of the online companies and there specs on there springs/retainer kits, the specs of the spring pressure the amount it moves, as well as where the spec is on coil bind the bc springs are right in the middle of a couple manufacturers offering either a similar valve springs or a beehive style valve spring. However, I would double check with your tuner or shop if there doing the install, make sure the lift of those wont be too much, or it might be better to maybe go dual valve spring, or a stiffer spring so those cams wont beat up too much on the valvetrain.
Good luck
Kelford 280's are much more aggressive then hks 272's and GSC s2's.

Kelford 280's will float the crap out of those springs especially pushed. Why buy nice cams and then pair them with pos BC springs/retainers?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well to be honest project skyline that's why i recommended for him to talk with his tuner, i figured kelford 280s were higher lift then even my s2s. That's y if you reread what I said, if hes gonna go with those, either should do a dual valve spring or a stiffer single spring (beehive etc), So tell me where I went wrong giving op advice? Different cams or different springs, all I did was give op an honest answer, with that valvetrain on a less but still aggressive cam nonetheless, and that little issue with BC springs for the most part was forum mumbojumbo fan boys talkin crap. So call it whatever you want I just dont personally like to go the cookie cutter route, I do my research and buy what works for me with what im going to use it for. If you think the valvetrain is gonna be a problem, thinkin im going to float a valve or somethin, go check out some videos i posted on youtube, im only on 91 pump and she pulls fine with that "****" valvetrain as you call it all the way to 8k no problem. So please do me a favor, dont be ignorant and spread false info, newbs dont know who to believe.
OP to be honest whats your mods list and HP goal:
Because if your beginning or ending goal is on anything smaller then an fp red or black, those cams there good but there a top end cam, sacrificing low end spool, might give you a more narrow powerband, unless youve got a turbo kit lined up thats setup for a narrow powerband haha

Quick Reply: --- Kelford 280 & BC Springs and Retainers ---