Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IAC Motor Problem?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IAC Motor Problem?

Lets begin. My car dies... Here is your background info. When coming to a stop in gear the car is fine until that last second that you throw it into neutral or when you throw it into neutral and coast to a stop. When this happens the car acts up. The oil light flickers along with the lights and the dash. The volt meter jumps from 10-14 randomly and the car stutters. If I dont react fast enough by applying gas or turning the wheel in both directions, the car dies. So...

What I have done:

1. Redid the Decel Tables in the current tune.
2. Checked the Throttle Body gasket.
3. Turned the Idle up on the Throttle body from 1000rpm to 1300rpnm.

I'm going to check over the tables with the tip in and cruise functions as well as throttle input and tps when this happens. If there is nothing out of norm, also check over the bov to make sure your not sticking open. As well as check the TPS.

Still no luck. So my next thought is... a Bad ISC Motor? Thoughts, comments, experiences, wisdom, and dirty retarded jokes. BEGIN!!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This doesn't sound like the issue I had with my IAC on my Throttle body.
Mitsu went cheap and has a hard plastic ring on the tip which plugs the hole (early 2000 galant and 3g eclipses have a solid metal ring).

When mine went, the car would start, idle high for a second, give it a rev it would lower, and then the revs would go up then down up then down up then down over and over again. So it would jump between about 800-1500 rpms over and over.

I went to a junkyard and grabbed one from a galant and one from an 3g eclipse. After I replaced it, started up, it revved real high, turned off, turned back on and idled fine (Assuming it took a minute to have the ecu learn of the different iac).
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:40 AM

Electrical / harness errors then? I'm thinking it might be a tune problem as well but I'm trying to solve all hardware / physical problems before getting into electrical / tune areas.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Right before the issue happened did you mess with the tune? With the oil light, volts jumping and other lights, it sounds like it could be some sort of harness failure.

Do you park your car outside where animals could get to it? Have you looked over the wires at all?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:33 AM

Well I bought the car with a garbage tune and its had that problem since then. I do park it outside but Ive never seen any animals but its certainly a possibility. I guess I'll start looking into electrical issues. I was hoping it wouldnt be, I hate electrical problems.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:41 AM

I forgot to ask you Ian, but do you have your Throttle Cable tucked behind the motor?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Frasch
I forgot to ask you Ian, but do you have your Throttle Cable tucked behind the motor?
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh guess i'll have to look but i know where you're going with this
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

You should also check the intake manifold for a leak, and do a boost leak test. Mine was doing the same thing then I realized the intake manifold was leaking. After changing the gasket my problem went away.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Well if the car came acting like this garbage because of a junk tune I would check the tune as well. Try popping on the stock map (if ECUflash)
Old Nov 2, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your symptoms sound almost identical to mine.... I have a 2003 Evo 8 with over 138K...need to update my sig :-)

My car would run fine as long as my foot was on the accelerator. Once I came to a stop...it would die on me unless I feathered the throttle to keep it idling.

My issue turned out to be the IAC. I have replaced it 3 times already! Most recently I replaced it with an Evo 9 IAC (spring on the outside) and hope it to last longer!

I'll find the username of the guy I just purchased my IAC from. He said he had around 7-8 or them just sitting on a shelf so I'm sure he has one for you! Good guy to deal with, good price and timely shipping.

I hope you figure it out soon! I was annoyed driving around having to feather the throttle at every light!

I just bought my used IAC from manni_t5488 Give him a shot if you need one!

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Nov 2, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Silver how much did you pay for it?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Pm'd you ...