Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Evo X - P0219 code help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evo X - P0219 code help

Evo X - P0219 code help
My check engine light is coming on intermittently (comes on, goes off 2 days later, re-triggers everytime i give it 50% + throttle) . I got the codes checked and it throws up P0219.

No loss in power, when cel triggers, idle increases slightly. But once I restart the car, idle is back to normal!

Anyone experienced this before? Any idea what the problem/fix was?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
P0219 is engine overspeed, so at some point in time someone has misshifted and probably screwed the motor..

did you buy it new or 2nd hand?

That's not causing your idle funny business thou.

That would be P1235 (which your code reader isn't showing), and you need a proper tune to suit your mods to fix that - I take it you have mods and no tune?

Cheers
D.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:39 AM

I just bought the car about 2-3 weeks ago from a dealer. Has 30,000kms.

CEL came on a few days after i got it.

Got codes checked, showed up P1235 and P0219!

Car is standard tc-sst. No mods!

I hope motor isn't gone, seems to have full power.

Have got the car booked back in with the dealer on Wednesday to see why CEL is triggering intermittently!!!

Hoping for warranty if something is wrong. Cars is standard, up to date with services! Oh no!

Car seems to have full power, how could motor be screwed if it is running fine?

Last edited by *David*; Aug 27, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Well as far as I am concerned you have two different problems:

1) P0219 at some point in the past the car was misshifted resulting the RPM's going above the limit. This usually means the valves have probably smacked the pistons, so you may have some bent valves. The dealer should NOT have sold you the car with P0219, not without explaining what it was and how much of a discount they are going to give you to possibly rebuild the motor at some stage... P0219 is a warranty voider - so if it was there on day0 and the dealer doesn't want to play ball get Mitsu corp involved...

2) The P1235, usually results because of a bad tune or installing lots of parts on the car and not tuning it properly. For a totally stock car (tune and parts) it shouldn't popup, so if thats the case it could be an indication that your MAF sensor is failing.

I would be going back to the dealer and getting them to explain the P0219 and what they are going todo about it, you need to be careful because they will probably blame it on you...

The P1235 you need to make sure its stock parts (including twin solenoid setup) and if it is then maybe look at replacing the MAF sensor.

my bet is:
the car was tuned previously, had a ****ty oiled air filter which is whats killed the MAF and they havn't been bothered to return the car to standard (hence my twin ports comment above)

ACT as in Canberra???

Basically in short P1235 isn't disastrous, P0219 is...

Last edited by tephra; Aug 30, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:09 AM

Yeah, Canberra.

Bought the car from Lansvale Holden in Sydney on 28/7!

So if the motor ends up being damaged internally, I will see if returning the vehicle is an option under the 3mth/5k warranty you get when buying a 2nd hand vehicle.

Car is booked with the local Mitsubishi dealership in Canberra on Wednesday.

I will make sure the do a compression check!
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:12 AM
EvoM Guru

P0219 is a permanent DTC, meaning you cant clear it (without replacing lots of stuff anyways)

It's a 50/50 if the motor is damaged.

Unless your getting a great deal I would just be returning it...
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:00 AM

Didn't get a great deal, bought the car under the impression it was standard!

I will let you know how I go at Mitsubishi re warranty / their diagnosis. It looks like i'll be returning the car at this stage! I'll let you know how i go with Lansvale Holden in Sydney when I tell them I want to return it!

Appreciate your help!

f********k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by *David*; Aug 27, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:48 PM

wow
i'm gobsmacked on the advice and diagnosis that tephra is giving?
"the car was tuned previously, had a ****ty oil filter which is whats killed the MAF and they havn't been bothered to return the car to standard (hence my twin ports comment above)"
care to explain how a ****ty oil filter will affect the way a MAF will read?
Lol and you won't be able to return the car, its a 2nd hand vehicle, sure you will still get the warranty but there is no way they will let you return the car.
tehpra if the car had the fault when it got sold, wouldn't there be an engine light on when David picked up the car?? All 2nd hand dealer cars get a safety check done to them before being sold, this car wouldn't have had this issue when it was in the dealers hands.

Andrew
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Hi Andrew,

I take it your the dealer then?

It's a well known fact that oil'ed filters cause EvoX MAF sensors to fail. There have been many examples of this.

I am not sure if P0219 causes the CEL to display, but it is trivial to clear the CEL for P1235 and it wont pop up until some time later...

I don't really know what your talking about in regards to the safety check...

I am not saying that the dealer sold the car with P0219, but with the other issues it's also displaying it's entirely likely..

edit - oh and I said "my bet: is the car was previously tuned..." as in I was making an educated guess, not stating fact.

Cheers
D.

Last edited by tephra; Aug 30, 2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally had a P0219 on my car. It did throw the SES light. I was able to "clear" the code. Not saying that it wasnt permanently embedded in the ECU somewhere, just saying that I was able to turn off the SES light and clear it from the current list of DTCs. Also, there was no damage (that I was aware of) to the engine when I threw the code.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

You're able to misshift a tc-sst to the point of breaking things? That sounds really dangerous... rather than having to put the shifter in the wrong spot and rip the clutch up all you would have to do is click the paddle once too many times...? Doesn't sound right...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by hotstix
I personally had a P0219 on my car. It did throw the SES light. I was able to "clear" the code. Not saying that it wasnt permanently embedded in the ECU somewhere, just saying that I was able to turn off the SES light and clear it from the current list of DTCs. Also, there was no damage (that I was aware of) to the engine when I threw the code.
Yeh I think you can clear it so that it doesn't show in the list of current DTC's (and thus doesn't display a CEL) but I think it stays there since its a permanent DTC...

I guess it depends on the scantool as to whether it will appear or not...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:31 PM

So you're talking about the air filter having too much oil in it, not the actual oil filter itself? That makes more sense, you seem to have worded it wrong in your previous post.

All 2nd hand vehicles sold at dealerships get a safety check and check over. Dealers do it to cover themselves when they on sell the car, ensuring the vehicle is roadworthy at the time of sale. If the issue was present at the time of the safety check, the dealers would've dealt with it accordingly, no question. Its an expensive car, they wouldn't try and mask any issues with the vehicle, especially seeing as it has 5yr/130,000km second owner warranty.

As far as the DTC P0219 - engine overspeed is concerned, there are many factors as to why this code will appear, not necessarily because the 'valves have smacked the pistons', there's no need to have the owner concerned that his engine is damaged.
I have in fact seen this code on the current model MN Triton - if you check the freeze frame data, it shows engine rpm around 16500rpm when the code is logged. It is being investigated at MMAL currently, it is believed it may be caused from electrical interference from the wiring of a few sensors.

Nope I don't work at a dealer, I have in the past and know how it works.

Andrew
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

1) fixed wording

2) I highly doubt the safety check includes plugging in a scantool and grabbing codes... At best the dealer probably saw the CEL, and just cleared it... without realising what the codes where

3) P0219 is engine over-speed, which means the engine has reved higher than factory specification. This of course doesn't necessarily mean the engine is FUBAR, but there is a high probability... enough to warrant pulling the head and doing and inspection...
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:14 PM

1) fixed wording
thanks

2) I highly doubt the safety check includes plugging in a scantool and grabbing codes... At best the dealer probably saw the CEL, and just cleared it... without realising what the codes where

Possibly. But the P1235 would've been an active code and would've thrown the engine light on.
However if it was just the P0219, that may have been a stored code, which wouldn't necessarily put the engine light on. If he picked up the car with no engine light on, the P1235 has occurred when the vehicle has been in his possession and possibly P0219, the two may be linked.

3) P0219 is engine over-speed, which means the engine has reved higher than factory specification. This of course doesn't necessarily mean the engine is FUBAR, but there is a high probability... enough to warrant pulling the head and doing and inspection...
Wrong.
Please read the data I have in black and white which shows the ECU logging a DTC P0219 when the ECU suspects the car has been over revved to 16000rpm. This particular vehicle is fine mechanically and 'valves have not smacked the pistons'
There is such a thing as electrical 'noise' intereference, which is evident on this car (and numerous other cars)

Any questions feel free to ask

Andrew

Quick Reply: Evo X - P0219 code help