Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

At wits end with spark plugs and P0300

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Main culprit.

They always run like crap when the P0300 gets thrown, there is some limp map that it will refer to (or low octane maps for that matter).
Aaron
There's been a couple Evo 8 owners with wide bands who have reported that when they experience the p0300 limp mode the car has gone very lean. This doesn't seem like a scheme that would protect the engine unless the ECU was cutting fuel completely to individual cylinders. What do you think?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On that point I noted that after I drive my with active misfires the smell of fuel is quite pervasive.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Not possible either

1 It was not properly disabled
2 Code was not cleared after disabling it

Chances are the timing portion in the Ignition map is too far advanced causing the code. Sorry not familiar with the terms "cams out'. Is that like hellaflush
go to the track once in your life and every car that has a serious cam lope is said to " cam out" its an expression of cam lope.

I dont believe in nonfunctional crap like hellaflush. hence why my car is factory ride height with 255 tires for traction attempt.

As for the matter at hand. evo scan cannot even register the actual code it self . It doesn't recognize it since its been turned off but for some reason it still have the ses light on and only my snap on scanners will recognize the code.

On v7 I have no code with the same things turned off . On my v5 rom where my car is currently tuned on i trip the code.

I just dont care to swap and retune my car on v7. My tune is dead on and its not worth the hassle to retune on v7 just to eliminate the cel.

For arguments sake , Ill check into everything again tomorrow and triple check that things are turned off correctly . Because it does sound weird, but My rom has been a royal B***h since day 1.

Last edited by danameisoj; Nov 10, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When this code is thrown while driving in the highway your car will stumble, feel like it is cutting out, no power, until you let off the gas or press in the clutch and then its back to normal.

If you had read all of those other threads you would have figured this out.

I had replaced my spark plugs numerous times along with the coil packs and plug wires. All for nothing. Hell, I almost bought a new transmission for my evo because it was thought to be tranny harmonics. I was not sure though and am glad I had waited for the patch to come out years ago. I was making it hard in my self.

You could keep replacing things and banging your head against the wall or buy or borrow a cable and look at your maps or try diableing the code yourself for free. Whatever it is, I hope it is an easy fix. Either way good luck. I will leave this one alone.

Also the p0300 disable can be added to any of the 008-015 roms with or without the tephra mods. The tephra mods just make it easier to do.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Gapped the BR7ES to .022 and drove 50 miles....no CEL but everytime I had to stop the car almost died and the idle was heinous. New OEM COP and wires en route...will try a different gap today and update.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt057
When this code is thrown while driving in the highway your car will stumble, feel like it is cutting out, no power, until you let off the gas or press in the clutch and then its back to normal.

If you had read all of those other threads you would have figured this out.

I had replaced my spark plugs numerous times along with the coil packs and plug wires. All for nothing. Hell, I almost bought a new transmission for my evo because it was thought to be tranny harmonics. I was not sure though and am glad I had waited for the patch to come out years ago. I was making it hard in my self.

You could keep replacing things and banging your head against the wall or buy or borrow a cable and look at your maps or try diableing the code yourself for free. Whatever it is, I hope it is an easy fix. Either way good luck. I will leave this one alone.

Also the p0300 disable can be added to any of the 008-015 roms with or without the tephra mods. The tephra mods just make it easier to do.
this is the exact problem im having!! so i guess i have to disable the p0300 code

i also have a exedy hd twin and m2 cams which i been hearing throws the code, its a real pita

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Nov 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

When you pulled the code were you able to find out which cylinder(s) were misfiring? Could it be possible only one of the cyinders is misfiring due to possibly a shorted wire for the coils?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
When you pulled the code were you able to find out which cylinder(s) were misfiring? Could it be possible only one of the cyinders is misfiring due to possibly a shorted wire for the coils?
p0300 is a random misfire
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartize It
Gapped the BR7ES to .022 and drove 50 miles....no CEL but everytime I had to stop the car almost died and the idle was heinous. New OEM COP and wires en route...will try a different gap today and update.

what exactly do you mean by idle was heinous? Was the idle rpms jumping around or was just a rough idle?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
what exactly do you mean by idle was heinous? Was the idle rpms jumping around or was just a rough idle?
When I would come to a stop the idle would drop to the point where the car almost stalled but it would hang on each time.

Update: Installed BPR8ES (removed BR7ES) and gapped them to .024. Car idles much better so far but I have not driven it yet. Will provide another update later on
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is doing the same shudder at cruising, it seems like when its warmer out (on my way to work) it does it more often and when at night time on my way home it barely does it, but I also drive much more calm on my way home since theres no idiots making traffic so that could explain that but when I first put my motor back in the knock sensor was accidently not plugged in and it did this SAME Shudder Violently at cruise and it would do it multiple times even if I let off the throttle and got back on which normal gets rid of it. Once I plugged it back in (actually replaced it too b/c worn wiring) and the shuddering was reduced 10X so that makes me want to think it is from some kind of drivetrain harmonics or some kind of "noise" triggering the knock sensor since thats all I did and it changed the shuddering but who knows. I have no idea what bytes and hex and all that stuff is so I dont know how to try the po300 disabling. Although I STILL get the shuddering even when I rarely get the po300 code if that means anything since from what I'm reading doing that will fix the shuddering....

When my car shudders my wideband goes to "10" and goes RIICHH until I let off the gas and back on...not lean like alot of others
Old Jul 1, 2012, 09:28 PM

i have the 03 evolution 8 and i am have the same exact issue it came up with the p0300 code and my car at warm temperature act's like crap it will idle up and down.. and at times on the highway it shudders and feels like if its lack of fuel or spark..i cleaned the MAF and the idle speed sensor.. problem still there .. i erased the code and still comes up at WOT.. and stays ... the car has small leak from the flex pipe i dont know what else the problem can be ,sorry for coming up here like this stating my problem...