Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS GT3037 turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds about right. Where are you located?

shiv
Old Jan 12, 2004, 02:57 AM

Sydney, AU.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Smogrunner

Come on Pesto, this post was just six posts below the original post that started that thread. Pretty clear to me.

However, I do like your question and am also interested in what Shiv has to say about it. I appreciated your technical posts. I have been learning something throughout this thread except for the brief flame session earlier.
My apologies to Shiv...because of what most of these HP threads turn into I usually just gaze over them and try to find the meat
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu

As a engineering house for Garret, there is no need to get parts from HKS Japan.
VERY impressive!!! I never knew that...I would think that would be a very good selling point for your products and services that such an established turbo manufacturer uses you for an engineering house...congratulations keep up the good work
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
My thoughts are that with the stock engine - 30 psi would push the head gasket or cause the piston to colapse

All of this makes little or no sense

You would have to try very hard to make less than 450 whp with a 3037 at 30 psi
maybe he shimmed the head or running 2 head gaskets to lower compression?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

just to help you guys understand the difference between a dynojet and a dyno dynamics even more, i dyno'd my car at PRUVEN (where Al does all of his tuning) and it dyno'd at 263whp. the week after i went to my friend shop (KTR In MA) and put it on their DD dyno and got 230whp at almost the same conditions and with the exact same mods and settings.

just my 2c
Old Jan 12, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

It apparent to anyone not causing problems purposely that Shiv's dyno always reads low for the track times his cars generally put out.

Does that make him a good tuner? No, certainly not.

Is it a factor that anyone reasonable should be willing to accept and deal with? Absolutely
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Being an engineering firm for Garrett alone speaks volumes for shivs abilities...why debate that? U think a major like Garrett (Honeywell) would just get in bed with any bozo?

I dont always agree with shivs ways, but I have alot of respect for the man..and we should all be thankful that he gives us the insight to make educated decisions...do u think these vendors on here make TONS of money by wasting all day on here answering questions? NOPE!!...and Im sure at the end of the day...it adds alot fo business but not that much....guys like shiv and even (im gonna regret saying this) AL have helped us all witht heir input...why flame them constantly? Im guilty of it too...but some people never give up...this was a very good thread for a while very informative..lets not ruin it...Id like to see people like buschur add more to these threads since he has so much knowledge and so many loyal customers..
(im still bent over the 48 hour we will call u back thing when i first got my evo other than that I think after months of reading reviews and his posts shiv is super knowledgeable and I would trust his products)
Old Jan 12, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I just want to say for the record that I know of only a couple DSM's making over 400whp on pump gas.

Also these DSM's are not running 91 octane. They are running 93 octane. Also these cars are running stand alone ECU's and are modded pretty good.

I love DSM's as much as anyone. It is how our shop started and we really do enjoy them, but don't make it sound like every DSM is making big pump gas power.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 02:30 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by RnR Racing
I just want to say for the record that I know of only a couple DSM's making over 400whp on pump gas.

Also these DSM's are not running 91 octane. They are running 93 octane. Also these cars are running stand alone ECU's and are modded pretty good.

I love DSM's as much as anyone. It is how our shop started and we really do enjoy them, but don't make it sound like every DSM is making big pump gas power.
Thank You RnR for clearing this up! Like I always say its some DSM of lore that produces a dynosheet that lives in the minds of these guys forever. The extensiveness of work/standalone/turbo/builtness get lost in the lore and the two things that stick is DSM and pump gas. There TW a MAJOR shop stating their experience of you seemingly common occurance pruven infinately rare
Old Jan 12, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I saw the bling bling car at Vishnu and I did see the dyno chart. It clearly made 390 whp on Shiv's dyno. The car sounded very loud and not very refined, but it made the most power it could.

Shiv's dyno is accurate, and ITS NOT A DYNOJET, it's a load bearing 4WD dyno so you will see lower numbers as a result.

I saw a whole wall of dyno plots while I was there, from many different cars and once you do the conversion, the numbers made sense.

For example Shiv dyno'd a Z06 on his dyno and he got about 305whp. If you use his conversion factor that works out to around 365whp on a 2wd dynojet.

This is what Z06s dyno all the time. So the dyno is very accurate.

Shiv's tuning techniques are very logical, straightforward and consistent. He focuses on making smooth consistent power and also making sure that car remains safe from detonation and pinging.

Shiv is a first rate guy, easy to talk to, and really goes out of his way to explain his concepts. I have great respect for the guy and would recommend his work and products to anyone.

Steve
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so Shiv can you describe whats involve on your stage 2 package that you are currently running ???
thanks
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

No problem. I just don't want every EVO owner believing that DSM make crazy power on pump gas all the time. It is actually rare to see that much power put down on pump gas. Also that car he often refers to was running 28psi on pump w/EMS, etc. I give DRE a lot of credit. He is an excellent tuner, knows his stuff and he has building working on that same basic set up for a while.

We also use a dyno dynamics 4WD dyno and have made some pretty good numbers on it.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RnR Racing

We also use a dyno dynamics 4WD dyno and have made some pretty good numbers on it.
Although I think it is calibrated a bit differently than ours.

Shiv
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you think that? I was just wondering what brought you to this conclusion. (Not flaming)

Quick Reply: HKS GT3037 turbo kit