Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Take apart Manley rods

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take apart Manley rods

OK this might be noob but whatever. I recently got my block machined and they "checked" the clearance of the extra stroke (100mm 4G64 crank) to see if it cleared the block. When I got it back, I didn't see anything inside being cut off so I'm suspecting them that they didn't check anything at all.

Now to today, I'm going to check it myself. I take the rod bolts off and the rod cap isn't coming off. Pulling as hard as I can and nothing. Hit it with a mallet and nothing. Any ideas how to get these rod caps off the rod without breaking it?

Rods are Manley Turbo Tuff.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
put the rod bolts in, and tap the rod bolts with rubber mallet while holding the cap. You will need to leave about 1/4 inch of the rod bolts out so when you tap them and the cap comes appart it will have somehwere to go.

I dont know if that is the correct way to do it, however that is how I have done it in the past.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I place plastic handle of large screw driver in the cap. then wack it with a wrench. the plastic wont hurt the cap. quick and easy.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So why didnt you just turn the engine over to check clearance? Wrench on the front nut.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, got it off by placing the rod hole (big end) on the crank end (while the crank is in the block), hammered the bolts and it came off just fine.

Originally Posted by meckert
So why didnt you just turn the engine over to check clearance? Wrench on the front nut.
I would need to first get the caps off so that I can mount it on the crank itself and then rotate it to see if the rods will clear everything in the block.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep. whatever you do dont scratch anything or get grit in those bearings thatll a short life on the motor
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
OK this might be noob but whatever. I recently got my block machined and they "checked" the clearance of the extra stroke (100mm 4G64 crank) to see if it cleared the block. When I got it back, I didn't see anything inside being cut off so I'm suspecting them that they didn't check anything at all.

Now to today, I'm going to check it myself. I take the rod bolts off and the rod cap isn't coming off. Pulling as hard as I can and nothing. Hit it with a mallet and nothing. Any ideas how to get these rod caps off the rod without breaking it?

Rods are Manley Turbo Tuff.

Why are you removing the rod cap? The way to check clearance of the extra stroke is to carefully rotate the entire assembled rotating assembly IN the block, to see what clearance you have between the rods or rod bolts and the block itself. What are you doing?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Why are you removing the rod cap? The way to check clearance of the extra stroke is to carefully rotate the entire assembled rotating assembly IN the block, to see what clearance you have between the rods or rod bolts and the block itself. What are you doing?
Checking to see if the rod will clear the block?
The crank rotates just fine. I've heard you had to take off some material in the block if you're running a stroker so that the rods will clear inside the block. I would have to bolt the rod to the crank and rotate the crank to see if it'll clear.

Good thing I checked it too because one of the rods is hitting a notch in the block... Back to the machine shop you go...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

If it rotates fine then it doesn't always mean it should be fine, but good thing you checked. Some blocks are cast diffently so there are those few exceptions in needing to get rid of some imperfection in excess casting material I had to on my block also.

Last edited by Ricekiller81; Dec 19, 2011 at 05:19 AM.