Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Works Valva springs and TI retainers: necessary or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bluevilevo8
They are 100% necessary with aftermarket cams. The valve springs are one of the engines weak links, and Buschur said he's surprised they aren’t failing even with the light sodium filled valves.
Quote from David Buschur:
The stock springs are the weakest we have tested in the EVO.

I am sure they will handle the 272 cams though. I would be worried about them getting back on the seat at really high RPM though.

We have only personally tested the 264's here.

David"

He sells his staged upgrades including HKS 264's without recommending any upgraded valvetrain.

Last edited by nolimits1320; Jan 26, 2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on which cams you go with; you have to be careful. I sell Piper which make great HKS-killers but they don't fit on the factory retainers for the EVO8. The 7 and prior had a different valvetrain design. The 8 will only withstand a hair UNDER 11.5 mm of valve lift before actually hitting. The Ferrea kit allows 12.5mm or more; more than we should need. Tomei, Piper and a few others offer 11.5mm lift cams which is where you make a significant amount over drop-in units without raising duration a lot and sacrificing output and lower rpms. Be wary that rpms will kill things on the bottom end as well; regardless of power output.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com