Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Mellon Racing EVO head mysteriously lifted and the culprit has been found!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JC evo1
so is this happening to oem flex fuel vehicles?
Unlikely, most flex fuel owners don't run e85 all the time or at all.

In fact I hardly see anyone get e85 in my area besides car guys.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboTravis
You guys complaining about inspecting the injectors on a regular basis need to find a new hobby. Engines making upwards of 7hp/ci are going to to require frequent inspections/maintenance, PERIOD.
I'm not complaining.

I'm saying just checking your injectors isn't the solution.

-Bink
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just did my head gasket and decided to check my injectors as well they were caked ..... some brake clean and good as new
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd highly recommend you send those injectors out and have them cleaned....
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ta ace
just did my head gasket and decided to check my injectors as well they were caked ..... some brake clean and good as new
They will clog internally as well on the 2150s. DEFINITELY send them to Jens to get cleaned.

Aaron
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

is there anyway a guy could clean them himself? chem dip of some sort or a procedure, i dont have time to send them for cleaning with me leaving for the tx2k12 event next week
Old Mar 9, 2012, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Well maybe I missed it but I have this question.. I know most of you fill up at the pump (lucky SOB's) but here in N.FL its a haul to get this. I basically fill up two 5 gal jugs and another 7gal filler jug. I use the BR e85 test tube to confirm e85 levels. All the jugs are clear so prior to putting in the tank I check to see if any sediment.. is there any way else I can possibly prevent "gumming" up the injectors? Filler tank does have mesh screen at tip for filling as well for added safety.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Other then running a tank of pump every X amount of fill up's, I haven't read anything. Funny how EVERYTHING has positive and negative effects.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"E85 Gunk Thread"

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Maybe there should be a "E85 gunk thread", where people can list if they have gunk or not, what injectors they have, where there located, etc, so we can get data on this issue and maybe figure out ideas to fix it, pin point gas stations that sell the "gunk" E85, etc.
This would be a great idea. I am in southern Arizona and having second thoughts on using E85.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTravis
Nice write up. IMO, the "black gunk" can also be caused from non ethanol compatable fuel hoses.
there's less than three feet of rubber/polymer hose in an evo fuel system. and the fuel hose scenario doesn't fit most the situations where people see gunk buildup. mellon ran a long time without any issues, and then it happens within 1000 miles.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Have you tried the Lucas Oil injector cleaner or the other brand (I can;t remember the name).

I just bought a bottle. Waiting to run the tank empty and I will dump half a bottle in as per instructions. I have the ECA gauge so I can see if it dilutes the E85 any. I've been driving somewhat cautiously since this.
seems like a good baseline test for effectiveness would be to soak a gunked up injector in e85 with the stuff at the concentration it would be used if dumped in a fuel tank. could try several different cleaners quickly this way.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
has anyone figured out and confirmed what causes the gunk up issue?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
has anyone figured out and confirmed what causes the gunk up issue?
not 100% confirmed, but im sold on it being diesel gunk from reusing old tanks. it makes the most sense as alcohol doesnt dissolve it, but petroleum does.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

This was a good story. Now we need the movie to come out i kid i kid. Great way to handel things as a person/customer and vendor.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:54 PM

I just want to thank mellon for putting this information out there for all of us. He could have kept his findings to himself. I've been using e85 for almost a year and haven't checked the injectors once. Now since reading this thread I'm just waiting on the motor to cool down so I can check them.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 02:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by minezevoix
I just want to thank mellon for putting this information out there for all of us. He could have kept his findings to himself. I've been using e85 for almost a year and haven't checked the injectors once. Now since reading this thread I'm just waiting on the motor to cool down so I can check them.
I appreciate you saying that. My feeling has always been that many shops hide problems because they THINK it makes them look bad. I think it's important to share problems to help others avoid costly situations such as mine. I did have one other tuner Tscomp tell people on this forum that I blow up engines and can't keep it running because I'm a bad tuner now that I've put this information out in public. That's the unfortunate downside when dealing with ignorant or mean spirited people and likely why other shops choose to hide their problems.

Quick Reply: The Mellon Racing EVO head mysteriously lifted and the culprit has been found!