Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3rd Spun bearing on motor in 1 yr!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oil consumption has nothing to do with spun bearings. too thinn of oil (and the wrong type too) can cause both issues though.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
you ran the buschur engine on 10W30 in winter? i dont know what he recommends, but 10W30 is awful thin for a built engine with loose clearances.
I got my info from dave buschur himself. I usually follow his posts. They are full of information.

http://highboostforum.com/forum/show...r-built-motors

I asked Curt brown, He also runs the 10w40 in winter
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboTravis
Not liking the fact that it had 10w30 in it. I would of went with a 15W40 if it saw temps under 32 degrees on a regular basis, that's about it.
I didn't feel comfortable When I started my car in zero degree weather with the 20w50. It was ridiculously loud. I figured a thinner oil would be beneficial for colder months..

This car was a true daily driver
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4g63evoeight
Don't quote me but isn't the factory crank nitratred? Then when polished it takes the nitrated finish off?

If I'm wrong correct me as I have no idea lmao.. Also where can you get a crank nitrated?
-Peter
The whole nitrated crank thing is very interesting, I didn't know that. But to clear things up I have been on the same aftermarket crank This whole time. It's a manley crank.

I am wondering to make car all stock and part ways with it, Or possibly do a 2.3build on the hta86... If was the crank or turbo contributing to this, I am sure that would clear it up...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

also are you guys saying MY motors should be lasting longer ? If with daily use?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

I am close to getting rid of the car, parting it out and getting a stock 9.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you call Buschur? Did you send it back to him to inspect why it failed? If not, you should do both of those things!

I wonder if something is wrong with your Manley crank after all of these failures, especially if that was used in every build.

-Bink
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky
Did you call Buschur? Did you send it back to him to inspect why it failed? If not, you should do both of those things!

I wonder if something is wrong with your Manley crank after all of these failures, especially if that was used in every build.

-Bink
exactly what i was thinking, could be outa round and if the guy that built your motor the first time had the journals machined down each time and too small a bearing being used which i think you said dave found out to be the cause the second time. i also agree to what everyone else has said anytime you have a bearing failur every aspect of the motor needs to be broke down n hot tanked/sonic tanked n made spotless again. i would def send it back to dave n have him go through it and ask him about your oiling situation if he also says you were running to thin of an oil then bingo that atleast half of your issue right there. Dont blame the car (part it out/sell it) if it comes down to being a user error its not the cars fault.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo3573
I didn't feel comfortable When I started my car in zero degree weather with the 20w50. It was ridiculously loud. I figured a thinner oil would be beneficial for colder months..

This car was a true daily driver
That's why I suggested 15w40 (or even 5w40).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky

-Bink
Yes already called them. I am thinking of doing a 2.3 build it will have new crank.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by domestickillaAR
exactly what i was thinking, could be outa round and if the guy that built your motor the first time had the journals machined down each time and too small a bearing being used which i think you said dave found out to be the cause the second time. i also agree to what everyone else has said anytime you have a bearing failur every aspect of the motor needs to be broke down n hot tanked/sonic tanked n made spotless again. i would def send it back to dave n have him go through it and ask him about your oiling situation if he also says you were running to thin of an oil then bingo that atleast half of your issue right there. Dont blame the car (part it out/sell it) if it comes down to being a user error its not the cars fault.
well said that makes me feel better about whole situation
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck with this
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wjamyers
good luck with this
thanks man...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Deffinatly wouldn't doubt it be crank related.. Why don't you give it one more shot but this time a new oem crank.. However i know the feeling you have of parting the car out
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear Jack, yeah I'm still running Brad Penn 10/40 for the winter, not that I'm really driving it much. From what I've seen with these motors is knock kills them faster than anything.

Quick Reply: 3rd Spun bearing on motor in 1 yr!