Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Concerning oil pressure on new build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I just drove the car around for about 35 min. Once the car reached full operating temp, it seems my pressure at idle is between 27-35psi. Cruising in 5th at about 2500, I am seeing about 75-80, maybe a little higher. So....I guess on the highway, cruising in 5th at like 3300 rpms, Id be about 90. I guess I am not as far off as I thought I was from others. I guess, my "healthy" motor just builds pressure super fast?? Cruising through traffic in town, just going through the gears, it shoots to 90+ everytime as I make my way to 3k.

All that aside, damn this car runs good!! lol I just ordered my Buschur double pumper today. I cant wait to get it tuned, should make by butthole pucker a few times lol.

Last edited by tsidrift1; Feb 16, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I built my engine a bit looser than most, knowing that I wouldn't be using oil squirters, and my pressure is about 20 at idle, but by 2.5k rpm its at 90 psi. It stays there til redline. Seems to me like the pressure relief valve is set to open at 90 psi is all.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

My pressure hits 90 about the same time as you, but it keeps climbing. I cant say how high for sure though as my aem gauge only reads to 100.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 187 Likes on 132 Posts
Also remember guys using a 2.4 block will not have squirters. High oil pressure wont be as damageing to motors as it will be things like turbos and what nots. Being there is no squirters and the balance shafts removed pressure will increase. I am gonna do a little research to try to help you out with the situation to see if I can come up with a solution.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks man. Yea, as I stated in my op. I have looked through a lot of oil pressure threads. A lot of them just end with no resolutions lol.

IM still running a 4g63 block, just the 4g64 crank. I am 99% positive my oil squirters are still there. I do have a restrictor on the turbo, as well as feeding from the head, so I imagine its safe....I hope.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

The simple solution is a lighter weight oil. Similar volume of flow will make lower pressure with a lighter oil. The reason built engines typically run thicker oil is to preserve oil pressure when running loose clearances. That doesn't seem to be a concern for you. Try 10w40.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

it is not too much seems just right if you ask me you dont want to little oil pressure that is for sure
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not worry about it.

Sublime,
MAP cant help you with oil leaks if they sold you a shortblock since you would have installed everything on the motor. It is your problem not theirs. If they sold you a complete longblock with oil pump and head on it then they should try to help you. When you buy a shortblock the responsibility is on you to install it properly.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Also, oil leaks usually aren't the fault of oil pressure, but rather crank case pressure. How's your pcv system?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by batty200
I would not worry about it.

Sublime,
MAP cant help you with oil leaks if they sold you a shortblock since you would have installed everything on the motor. It is your problem not theirs. If they sold you a complete longblock with oil pump and head on it then they should try to help you. When you buy a shortblock the responsibility is on you to install it properly.
Well you must have misunderstood what I was saying about the vendor, I'm not blaming them for anything, I asked them about the oil pressure when I first put the motor in and if it was normal on a 4G64 with no squirters. I also told them that after hogging out the OFH the pressure didn't change and I replaced every gasket on the timing belt side of the motor, some gaskets more than once. I'm not blaming them for anything, just trying to fix the problem. I've been working on and owned DSMs/EVOs for over 10 years and I've never seen a motor do this.

Last edited by sublime44; Feb 17, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by THUB
Also, oil leaks usually aren't the fault of oil pressure, but rather crank case pressure. How's your pcv system?
PCV is fine, hooked up like stock. Almost everything on this motor is brand new except for a couple sensors and the manifolds. I've never had the dipstick pop out either so I doubt it has anything to do with crankcase pressure.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

My TurboTrix shortblock has similar pressures as yours. Stop worrying. I'd also be running a 40 weight oil in the winter months.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Where's it leaking from? Front main? Balance shafts?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by THUB
Where's it leaking from? Front main? Balance shafts?
Motor doesn't have balance shafts, the castle plugs have never leaked. Its different every time I replace a gasket. It was first leaking from the oil pump gear shaft, then one of the cam seals, and OFH gasket. After replacing all of those its still leaking, I replaced the front cover gasket and its still leaking from somewhere. Mind you EVERY gasket on this motor is new, all bolts are torqued to spec. I've put UV dye in the oil to try and narrow it down, but the oil gets on the timing belt and various gears/pulleys and just gets flung everywhere.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sublime44
Motor doesn't have balance shafts, the castle plugs have never leaked. Its different every time I replace a gasket. It was first leaking from the oil pump gear shaft, then one of the cam seals, and OFH gasket. After replacing all of those its still leaking, I replaced the front cover gasket and its still leaking from somewhere. Mind you EVERY gasket on this motor is new, all bolts are torqued to spec. I've put UV dye in the oil to try and narrow it down, but the oil gets on the timing belt and various gears/pulleys and just gets flung everywhere.
I don't envy your situation, for sure, is it possible the front cover is warped? torque wrench out of spec? (Maybe you're unintentionally under torquing bolts?) what kind of sealant are you using? how long are you waiting for the sealant to set? what's the temperature like when you're using the sealant?
I'd love to be able to help, but I'm grasping at straws on this.

Quick Reply: Concerning oil pressure on new build