Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cleaning iac & tb?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning iac & tb?

What's the best way to clean the iac and tb? Was going to just use carb cleaner unless someone has a better way that they've done it. And is there any way to clean the tps?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used brake cleaner (i just find it evaporates so much faster than carb cleaner..) and a tooth brush...girlfriends tooth brush...
The following 2 users liked this post by tundeclips:
auffy16 (May 13, 2019), Ryan Clarke (Mar 16, 2020)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 01:27 PM

Should've used my ex's before I moved out

Originally Posted by tundeclips
I've used brake cleaner (i just find it evaporates so much faster than carb cleaner..) and a tooth brush...girlfriends tooth brush...
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad i found this before posting my thread. Not trying to thread jack just looking for some answers and hopefully you havent cleaned your throttle body just yet till you read my situation and hopefully both of us get answers before you screw your throttle body up like i think i did mine.

I have read that you shouldnt clean the inside of the evo throttle body due to a film put on the backside from the factory to prevent air from going around the plate and using tb cleaner will take it off. Now today i tried installing shaft seals and well cleaned my tb in such manner before researching cleaning our tb's. then tonight i notice a gap around my throttle plate and stumble on this thread > https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-sealing.html
is this true? do i now have to go find this crap or my car will idle high? or can i just fix it with the biss screw? i have found a couple of threads where people claim it caused no issue cleaning the throttle body and no high idle and some say it did but they adjusted the biss screw and fixed it. what is the definitive answer to this? and if i have to buy the dry moly lube where do you purchase it at besides amazon? and preferrably less than $200 dollars a can (they must have been inhaling this stuff when pricing it) Thanks, and op hopefully you havent made the same mistake i did yet so i advice you to wait for answers as well to avoid a potential "why is my car idling high after tb cleaning" thread
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:43 PM

I have not cleaned mine yet and most likely won't for at least another week since the car is at home about 1k miles away. I'm also just looking for answers before I mess something up.

Originally Posted by awdordie
glad i found this before posting my thread. Not trying to thread jack just looking for some answers and hopefully you havent cleaned your throttle body just yet till you read my situation and hopefully both of us get answers before you screw your throttle body up like i think i did mine.

I have read that you shouldnt clean the inside of the evo throttle body due to a film put on the backside from the factory to prevent air from going around the plate and using tb cleaner will take it off. Now today i tried installing shaft seals and well cleaned my tb in such manner before researching cleaning our tb's. then tonight i notice a gap around my throttle plate and stumble on this thread > https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-sealing.html
is this true? do i now have to go find this crap or my car will idle high? or can i just fix it with the biss screw? i have found a couple of threads where people claim it caused no issue cleaning the throttle body and no high idle and some say it did but they adjusted the biss screw and fixed it. what is the definitive answer to this? and if i have to buy the dry moly lube where do you purchase it at besides amazon? and preferrably less than $200 dollars a can (they must have been inhaling this stuff when pricing it) Thanks, and op hopefully you havent made the same mistake i did yet so i advice you to wait for answers as well to avoid a potential "why is my car idling high after tb cleaning" thread
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol good. i dont suggest cleaning the backside of the tb or plate at all because apparently if ya do your f'ed.

hopefully someone will chime in on this that knows a little more about it, and i also think it should be included in the how to replace tb shaft seals that if you clean the tb you should take note of this black layer that is not suppose to be removed. lets face its the first thing someone thinks when they take the freakin tb off for anything especially shaft seals since most people do it is "hey lets clean this black soot off the tb it might help out"
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:16 PM

I'm starting with the iac first and hoping that fixes my problem. if not I'm sending in my tb to mil.spec to get redone. I'd rather have them do it all and replace seals.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Cleaning your tb is ok, only if you are careful. Carb cleaner and a white rag is the best way to go.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 05:03 AM

Not that I can't do it because I know I can, hell I work for a race team, its just that I know the guys at mil.spec know what they are doing and its going to be a top notch job.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was having the 2500rpm idle too following a "carb cleaning". I'm only 300 miles into owning a VIII, so I'm pleading ignorance.

After learning about the coating thing I pulled the IAC, blasted out the passages till they were clean, cleaned the actuator with contact cleaner, lubed the oring around it with dielectric lube, and put the whole mess back together. Lastly I hit the closed TB blade / throat interface with LPS 842 to seal it up. Once back together it seems to idle fine and doesn't have any throttle stickiness... So I'm calling it good.

The LPS can be purchased in CA and costs $15. I'm not sure it did anything, but it was easier than pulling the TB and hassling more.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lu.../Force842.html
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

sorry to revive an old post but i am having idle problems and was thinking of cleaning my throttle body along with my maf sensor
i have both crc throttle body cleaner and maf sensor, although i was only planning on taking the i/c pipe off and spray the throttle body lightly and wipe with rag. but from the more i read i am starting to think it may not be worth cleaning at all :S ??

what did you guys end up doing ?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:26 AM

I would also like to know. To be honest, a lot of this sounds so easy but knowing zip about engines currently makes it hard for me to understand. I have been idling at around 2500 and picked up some carb cleaner, but that's all I got at this point...no clue where to go from there.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

i just cleaned my maf sensor and replaced my foam filter(i have a hks). my mech said dont worry too mcuh about cleaning the tb as it can do more harm than good. if u spray the outsdie and inside the tb a bit it should b okay, but if you decide to take it apart be very careful on cleaning it, apparently there is a layer of black which looks like dirt and gunk but is actually a coat or some sort of protective layer and if you clean that off it will make your idle real high/inaccurate or something like that. edit: the layer is the tb seal or something like that
Old Dec 7, 2015, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
well **** let me revive this thread...while ago i removed tb, installed milspec seals, and cleaned the **** out of the black protective coating...of course i didnt know it was a coating...well, my idle hangs right above 1k or so when coming to a stop and it takes a while to drop to where its supposed to be...is there any way to coat it again? can we get this protective coating somewhere?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I never understood the importance of that protective coat. Thousands of guys including me running ported or aftermarket TBs. I'm strong believer that it's IAC issue and I'm talking from my own experience .