Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Testing engine bay temps - exposed pod filters.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Testing engine bay temps - exposed pod filters.

First up, this is a very unscientific test. I was just interested in the effect of a new snorkel and heat shield.

I have a 2006 Aussie spec Evo 9 with a K&N pod filter and metal suction pipe. Bar this and a Grimmspeed EBCS the engine bay is standard. The original snorkel and air box where removed by a previous owner and where not available to be tested.
I have recently purchased the top section of a Monster Sport PFX air intake second hand.

http://www.monster-shop.jp/pfxevo79m...ml?language=en

The heat shield was not available so one was manufactured by me from aluminum sheet approximately 1mm thick. Bar these two items nothing else in the engine bay was changed between tests.
All testing was done on a 22°C day (72°F)
First test was without heatshield or snorkel.
The car engine was warmed up to standard operating temp. A thermal probe was placed on top of the pod filter and the car was driven for 4km at 100km/h then 2km at between 100 and 140km/h. Engine revs where 3500 to 4500 for the first 4km rising to 4000 to 5000 for the last 2km. Boost was between 0 (or less) and approx 15psi for the whole test.

At the end the thermal probe was reading 33.3°C.

The heat shield and snorkel where then installed and the same test was run (air temp was possibly ½ to 1 °C less as the test was carried out in the afternoon, 2.30pm for first, 3.15pm for second)

At the end of the run the thermal probe was reading 19.5°C.

I was surprised at the massive difference the heat shield and snorkel has. Intake air temp actually dropped below ambient air temp (possible air pressure from the snorkel). I have no idea what the extra 13.8°C was costing in power but at very least I will conclude that some form of snorkel and heat shielding is a must for non air boxed Evos. Cheers

Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice results. How did you mount the shields or are they kind of just sitting there?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah just sitting there (or wedged in). With the maf going through it it can't go anywhere and it's in there pretty tight. Pain in the **** to make though! I emailed Monster Sport and inquired about there heat shield and a bracket to hold it down. $559 us + shipping. Almost threw up on my keyboard. Anyway mine works fine. And I can afford a overseas holiday as well.