Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo8 Speed Density Problem.. stalling/stumbling

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo8 Speed Density Problem.. stalling/stumbling

I have searched and searched but no one seems to have the same problem I do.

A little background: The car (03 Evo8 2.3L) didn't start when I got it, the exhaust cam seized up causing the timing belt to strip the teeth off. I installed a "built" head, new head gasket, timing belt, HKS 280/280 cams, and a PTE5557 turbo. The car came with Speed Density installed already; AEM IAT, AEM 5bar, AEM EMS V2.

Alright, here's the issue: I uploaded a base tune from the "Startup Calibrations" that AEM provides. The car started and ran rough (but stayed running). As soon as I dialed in the injectors (PTE1000cc) and setup the MAP and IAT sensors through the wizard, the car will start and run for about 3-4 seconds then immediately die. It doesn't hesitate THEN die, it dies as if someone turned the key to the OFF position.

The ambient temperature is about 40F, EMS is reading the coolant temp to be 37F. I tried tinkering with warmup enrichment tables all the way up to 50% enrichment but it still has the same problem. I even tried loading another "stock base tune", same problem..

I was really hoping I can get a tuning guru to chime in, but i'll take whatever advice I can get!

Tank you in advance! --Johnathan
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How good is your timing? and have you checked your compression?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:37 AM

Mechanical timing is spot on. Startup ign. timing is 14.99deg. Compression is fine.

Like i said, it starts. It just shuts off completely after idling fine for 3-4 seconds.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Log stat sync during the failure and see what it tells you. Potential for the belt to have damaged the crank sensor or pickup disk bent and damaged sensor.

Why did you upload a different map when the car presumably ran fine with the one that was installed on it?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:27 PM

The crank sensor and trigger are fine.. (from what i can see by eye)

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
Why did you upload a different map when the car presumably ran fine with the one that was installed on it?
The car runs and stays running on a "stock" tune 1313MAP to be exact, but it runs and idles sort of rough. The computer still thinks it has 550cc injectors on that tune. As soon as I dial in the injectors, the car does what I stated above. I also pulled the plugs today, cylinders 1, 2, and 3 are black and almost fouled out. Cylinder #4 is still that shiny silver color as if you just pulled it out of the box. And they all smell like un-burnt fuel.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A possibility:
It sounds like you have your cam dowels in the wrong holes.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:47 AM

There's only one cam dowel. They're HKS 280/280 cams with stock cam gears. And there's no way I have the cams reversed.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
id say your best bet, see if you can test your fuel pressure at the rail?? If your fuel pump is failing or one of the components holding the fuel pump assy together isnt right, then your not getting adequate fuel pressure, thus might be why your car will crank and start but wont stay running?

Another thing if youve messed with the fuel enrichment tables, I dont have much experience with the AEM EMS, but I know if your tuning your car on stock ecu, once changes are made you disconnect the battery, then reconnect it if its an evo 8. Might wanna try that, or my other guess maybe when your exhaust cam seized up it couldve possibly jacked up your camshaft position sensor???
Only things I can think of, outside of the EMS adjustments youve made already that could have an affect on proper idle.
Good luck
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostBuddyGSX
There's only one cam dowel. They're HKS 280/280 cams with stock cam gears. And there's no way I have the cams reversed.
Ah, I didn't know if you were on stock cam gears or not.

Reason I said that is when I put new cams in, I placed the dowels in the wrong hole because it was labeled Evo (on the Fidanza Cam Gears), when that actually meant that hole was for an Evo 1-4. Since the gears were so old, common sense didn't work out for me, as the dowels had to be placed in hole NOT labeled Evo .

I had the same exact issue as you did down to the fouling plugs/running for a few seconds/etc.

Good luck!