Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any ideas on where to look next? Bucking, Stalling

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also check the wires on your map sensor that can cause it to throw the car off of its map and run lean or rich and make the car buck mine did that for the longest time that was my problem
Old May 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Havnt driven the car yet since I replaced the coolant temp sensor. I did take a look at the Map sensor. Didnt see anything out of place, or cracks etc.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

So, last night, I replaced the coolant temp sensor, disconnected the batter for a little while, I unplugged the fpr solenoid and just checked it out and plugged it back in. Then this morning, I pulled the map sensor out and took a look at it.

I just drove it around for about 25 minutes and got no bucking or misfires etc. So I am hoping its fixed, dunno how for sure though lol. I guess it makes sense that a coolant temp sensor could cause issues if its sending the ecu faulty readings. Or possibly my harness was a little tweaked on the fpr solenoid.

Ill keep you updated if it hits again today. I am gonna drive it around all day and see if it does it.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Has the car been sitting for a while before this, or you get gas from a ghetto gas station? I had a problem like this once and it was just a bad batch of gas. Sounds stupid, but sometimes it can just be the simplest things.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Car hasnt sat real long. I have driven it today and no issues, so its either being stubborn today and wont do it, or it was the coolant temp sensor, or just me disconnecting the battery reset something.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Car hasnt sat real long. I have driven it today and no issues, so its either being stubborn today and wont do it, or it was the coolant temp sensor, or just me disconnecting the battery reset something.
Not sure how exactly the engine management is set up on yours but I have seen this issue before on a few vehicles. The issue usually occurs only under load and is the result of one sensor's readings not matching up with what the computer expects based on another sensor's reading. i.e. TPS at +10% but other sensors such as engine speed, air intake or cam not matching up.

Ideally in a shop this would be a perfect candidate for a drive and capture (have scan tool plugged in a capture the window of data when the fault happens). The last time it happened on my eclipse, the culprit was a loose connector on the cam position sensor and only happened under load when there was movement in the engine bay. I don't know how much that will help you but its a place to start. I am dealing with an erratic idle on my Evo X right now and I am waiting for my buddy to bring down his snap on scan tool so we can do a drive/capture.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

So, this problem has came back, very slightly so far. I am hoping its just the gas, but idk.

Filled it up at bp last sunday. Drove over to my fiance's house, all is fine. While there, it sat outside, and it poured. When I went to leave, it was warmed up and about 2min into the drive, it started cutting out and bogging again. I stopped and popped the hood, the car began to idle at like 2-300 rpms it seemed. It was just barely running. I gave it a couple of revs, it sounded real choppy like a subaru. So then my temper got the best of me. I revved it twice and hit the rev lmiter and then all was good the rest of the way home.

Started it up the next day, during warmup, idle dropped super low again, barely running. Revved it a few times, sounded like a suby, drove fine the rest of the day, no cutout.

Yesterday, drove it to dinner, cruising in 5th, I felt it stumble a couple times, went away, drove fine the rest of the night.

Damn car is beginning to **** me off.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
did you throw any cels? almost sounds like some kind of limp mode the ecu is going into due to a sensor failing.. could be a cam angle sensor loose maybe or something? check everything you possibly can.. i bet its something really dumb.

what about the ignition? sounding like a subaru is ignition or fuel related 100%. to lean = subaru. lol
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
check for wires torn / ripped, exposed.. grounds loose.. connectors that are not secure / snug..

o2 sensor wiring ok? injector pig tail connectors ok? map sensor ok and snug? check and make sure all terminals on battery are good and snug..

confirm the fuel pump system is ok.. sensor on the throttle body loose or damaged? what is your tps % at idle? wouldn't hurt to ohm test the tps either.

this only happens when the car gets wet? is the timing belt nice and snug with proper tension? is this occurring with load on the battery? headlights? steering wheel turned, ac etc?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Any CEL at the time? Maybe the Cam sensor is going bad ?
This would be my guess
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
check for wires torn / ripped, exposed.. grounds loose.. connectors that are not secure / snug..

o2 sensor wiring ok? injector pig tail connectors ok? map sensor ok and snug? check and make sure all terminals on battery are good and snug..

confirm the fuel pump system is ok.. sensor on the throttle body loose or damaged? what is your tps % at idle? wouldn't hurt to ohm test the tps either.

this only happens when the car gets wet? is the timing belt nice and snug with proper tension? is this occurring with load on the battery? headlights? steering wheel turned, ac etc?
I will give the car a good once over tonight and see if I can see anything out of the ordinary. I remember when it was doing this before, I swapped tps sensor and cam angle sensors from my buddies car who has no issues, and I was still gettin the misfire when it was doing it bad.

Originally Posted by 402nebraskakid
This would be my guess
I have swapped out with known working ones and actually have a new exhaust one one right now. I never did get a new mivec one, as they are expensive lol.

I am never lucky enough to get a cel on this car haha.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:20 AM

have the same problem on my evo 4.does yours come back to life if you give it throttle when it has stalled and still coasting. i only got this problem after changing the clutch,

Last edited by evoIV96; Sep 6, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

If it hesitates, I can put the pedal to the floor and most of the time it just completely cuts out, then violently comes back to life after a couple seconds.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:57 PM

yep same as mine, havnt got any faults on it only j2 and j4 came up once but havnt sence,could have being from before.
iv got 3 different guys to look at it with 3 differend diagnostic readers and nothing
iv changed the fuel pump and filter,cam sensor,maf sensor,oxygen sensor,cleaned throttle body and all conections and looked over everything

But the first time it happened is when i changed from a evo 7 paddle clutch and flywheel back to a standard flywheel and evo 4 uprated clutch
going plugging into it again with different software to see what comes up if any
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
So, this problem has came back, very slightly so far. I am hoping its just the gas, but idk.

Filled it up at bp last sunday. Drove over to my fiance's house, all is fine. While there, it sat outside, and it poured. When I went to leave, it was warmed up and about 2min into the drive, it started cutting out and bogging again. I stopped and popped the hood, the car began to idle at like 2-300 rpms it seemed. It was just barely running. I gave it a couple of revs, it sounded real choppy like a subaru. So then my temper got the best of me. I revved it twice and hit the rev lmiter and then all was good the rest of the way home.

Started it up the next day, during warmup, idle dropped super low again, barely running. Revved it a few times, sounded like a suby, drove fine the rest of the day, no cutout.

Yesterday, drove it to dinner, cruising in 5th, I felt it stumble a couple times, went away, drove fine the rest of the night.

Damn car is beginning to **** me off.
So just to examine, it sounds like you have swapped out multiple sensors. Your problem also only seems to happen during closed loop operation. Anyone know what sensors are being actively monitored during closed loop or even which ones are being ignored?

Quick Reply: Any ideas on where to look next? Bucking, Stalling