Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

turbo options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking turbo options

i decided to put my wrx up for sale after dropping 5k and only hitting 282whp.

i am looking into various evos from 03-06

my question is this, i would like to have a car that can keep up with bikes 600cc. (yes i know thats a lot) but if i could go for a power goal i have read on hre a lot that guys seem to have GREAT reliability at 450whp.

this is what i was thinking

precision 6262 (or smaller really need help understand their turbo sizes)
precision 1200cc injectors (room for improvment and e85)
ex manifold (not sure on what brand, really like ams)
fuel pump
intake (not sure on brand)
full exhaust (really like greddy and invidia)
engine managment (need advice)
bigger intercooler, and pipes
mishimoto radiator

i really need help looking into affordable decent spooling turbos. along with manifolds to match. i prefer precision for quality and affordability

can anyone help me on advice here? i am on somewhat of a budget but will buy parts over time!

thanks!!!!!!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 01:47 PM

an FP Green or Red would definitly get you there
Old Jul 1, 2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Waldo
an FP Green or Red would definitly get you there

thanks man i have really been looking into a green just because they seem to spool crazy!

just price on them =[
Old Jul 1, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine management most tuners use EcuFLash and a cable to tune the factory ecu. You can learn to do this yourself with the help of the tuning forum here.

Be sure to get a wideband, set it up and datalog in parallel with EvoScan when doing tuning pulls.

Take the time to read, there is huge amount of info on the forums here.

The latest stock frame ball bearing turbos will give you 450 and spool very quickly FP BB-Red or BB-black or the BBK-BB-C from CBRD will do it.

If I was you I'd get the cars handling and braking sorted first THEN upgrade the power. its cheaper and gives more satisfaction over time

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Jul 1, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:19 AM

ok sop i dont have to run anything like the cobb accessport???

should be really simple then.

and agreed suspension will definately get upgraded, especially brakes lol!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:51 AM

Mostly any of the stock frame turbos depending on fuel type and boost will get you around 450whp.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chris the man
i decided to put my wrx up for sale after dropping 5k and only hitting 282whp.

i am looking into various evos from 03-06

my question is this, i would like to have a car that can keep up with bikes 600cc. (yes i know thats a lot) but if i could go for a power goal i have read on hre a lot that guys seem to have GREAT reliability at 450whp.

this is what i was thinking

precision 6262 (or smaller really need help understand their turbo sizes) - You dont need to go with a T3 kits. Like others have said, a FP BLACK or RED will do just fine and it will spool much faster.
precision 1200cc injectors (room for improvment and e85)
ex manifold (not sure on what brand, really like ams) - Just get a Buschur racing or MAP ported stock exhaust manifold.
fuel pump
intake (not sure on brand) - FP silicon intake that works with their turbos.
full exhaust (really like greddy and invidia) - I would go with Buschur, AMS or ETS, instead of Invidia or Greddy (IIRC the greddy tapers down)
engine managment (need advice) - Stock ECU using EcuFlash and EvoScan. No Cobb AP needed.
bigger intercooler, and pipes
mishimoto radiator - You dont need to upgrade the stock radiator. its very capable.

You will need some form of boost control, either a MBC or 3port. Since it looks like your at elevation, I would recommend the 3port.

i really need help looking into affordable decent spooling turbos. along with manifolds to match. i prefer precision for quality and affordability

can anyone help me on advice here? i am on somewhat of a budget but will buy parts over time!

thanks!!!!!!
Answers in bold.

BTW, I run a FP BLACK, with old HKS cams and on 91oct, I make 430whp/370wtq (dynojet) on a non aggressive tune. Stock block, stock head.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Jul 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cams, head studs, moderate sized stock frame turbo upgrade BBK-3B/FP Black etc, best fuel you have access to and you won't have any trouble on a stock block.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 07:28 AM

ok agredd i have been talking to a lot of the local guys around here and it seems that FP black is by far the way to go!!!

this also may seem stupid, how much work does installing cams involve? even for a small lift like a 272 or 280????

they seem to be a mod on almost EVERY evo i see!!!!!

btw thanks guys!!!

anything for my drivetrain?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chris the man
ok agredd i have been talking to a lot of the local guys around here and it seems that FP black is by far the way to go!!!

this also may seem stupid, how much work does installing cams involve? even for a small lift like a 272 or 280????

they seem to be a mod on almost EVERY evo i see!!!!!

btw thanks guys!!!

anything for my drivetrain?
A lot easier to change then on a Subaru.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by piro fyre
a lot easier to change then on a subaru.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex-43byrjp0
unbelieveably easyyyyy!!!!!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

It's good to get a game plan together, but you might want to see what car you end up with first. That might change your mod path.

That being said... again one of the larger stock frame turbos will get where you want to be. You will need quite a few supporting mods though for sure. Are you going to be running E85?

Here is a list off of the top of my head but this list will depend on what the car you purchase already has unless you find a completely stock evo:

1200cc injectors or larger if running e85 (I prefer FIC)
larger fuel pump (may need a double pumper)
larger intercooler (ETS, Buschur, AMS)
intercooler piping UICP / LICP (ETS, Buschur, AMS)
FP, BBK, EF turbo
FP oil line setup for FP turbo
ported exhaust manifold or after market manifold
aftermarket 02 housing
intake for turbo
larger map sensor (omni 4 bar)
3 port EBC or MBC
wideband (AEM Uego or other)
laptop with evoscan and ecuflash
tactrix cable
TBE (downpipe, test pipe, catback)
probably some sort of catch can setup
BOV (if running maf recirc, if SD vent to atmosphere)
COP (spoolinup)

There obviously maybe some things missing or that you don't necessarily need, but it just depends on what the car already has and how crazy you want to go. You can save yourself quite a bit of money buy purchasing that parts used.

Last edited by evilempire76; Jul 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would do as others have suggested and I would opt for one of the bolt-on options with a large compressor wheel that moves the most air and thus has the most HP potential. If money was no object I would go either with a BB-Black, or a BB BBK-C. A more economical non BB option would be the MAP EF-4.

You are going to need a turbo configured with the largest compressor wheel possible that flows the most air otherwise a bike is going to leave you on the straightaways. You should be able to hang close and keep up with a good rider through the corners, but a bike will out accelerate you out of the corners and down the straights. So you are gonna need more power than 450.

I raced against a 900RR through a canyon in my 11-second car (not an Evo) and I could keep up with him through the corners but in the straights he walked me. So, do a BB Black, BBK-C or EF4 on E-85 or Alky. But, really I would suggest a high compression 2.4L LR build with one of the above turbos to give you instantaneous neck wrenching acceleration during corner exits.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

most on here will tell you to go with a stock frame turbo but they dont take the price into consideration... go with a holset check out badevo's thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...x40-37psi.html

u can get a holset for around $250-300 and have it rebuilt for $200. you can buy the same manifold on that car (from me if youd like, i happen to own a new one) for $250 and all you need is a downpipe and oil lines. much cheaper then anything else really.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
A more economical non BB option would be the MAP EF-4.

So, do a BB Black, BBK-C or EF4 on E-85 or Alky. But, really I would suggest a high compression 2.4L LR build with one of the above turbos to give you instantaneous neck wrenching acceleration during corner exits.
I have set up and I love it. The EF4 is a beast plain and simple. At 32PSI on E85 I am out of fuel with a single fuel pump. The turbo, to be quite honest, is too much for me power-wise as the turbo just a BEAST. There is hardly any lag with the turbo in any gear. The turbo is an easy 650whp+.

Quick Reply: turbo options