Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need opinions on best parts and place to buy!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on best parts and place to buy!

So I'm looking into getting an 02 housing, headers, test pipe, Downpipe, and licp. Which brand would be the best bang for the buck? I saw headers for $250 and as high as $1,200?! I don't want to spend a crazy amount, I.e. I'm willing to sacrifice 5 hp to save a few hundred dollars. I'm getting some other things but the above mentioned items are items I'm unfamiliar with on Evos. Id appreciate some input from guys who have done these things themselves to help guide me in the right direction. I'm thinking of going with Megan's 02 housing, Megan's headers, and ETS licp. That's about as far as I've gotten. Lol
Old Jul 4, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Read and do research, all of this has been gone over too many times. You don't want a megan manifold but their o2's are good. Start here
http://www.examiner.com/article/choo...-part-ii-of-ii

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Jul 4, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Do you want to spend more money now and be done with or spend less money now and later keep spending more money on the same parts because you didnt do it right the first time?

-Maperformance 3" o2 housing with vband disconnect downpipe. http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...o2e-ss-vr.html

-Exhaust doesnt matter as long as its 3" with no tapers. You can get the ebay one if you like but remember parts of it may rust over time. The less steep bends it has and the lighter the better. Research what you like on looks and sound. I like buschurs slip fit exhaust systems there are other brands that are great too.

-Exhaust manifold (header not headers) : Dont get ebay or megan, they all crack eventually. This really depends on what your looking to do because there are a few options. Do you want to port the oem, go tubular short runner or tubular long runner ? If you want tubular long runner, your going to spend a lot of money 800-1000 . Porting the OEM manifold gives gains also (Maperfomrance, Buschur, etc...), but I would actually prefer short runner tubular manifold over porting from what I know now. Short runner tubular manifold http://www.maperformance.com/map-sho...ap-evo-em.html

-Lower intercooler pipe: (LICP) : ETS version 2 or anything you find that is a similar looking because its a great performing design. Make sure what ever you get that its either aluminum or stainless steel. Cheap copies rust and or corrode.

In my opinion your doing this all the wrong way. You shouldnt be deciding "I want to upgrade this or that" . You should start by deciding what is your Horse Power goal, then research how to reach it. Yes putting on many random mods may/will give power, but may not be the most efficient way of reaching a target "bank for buck or quickest route".

PS I've wasted more money switching the same part that I could be double where I am now because I did it the wrong way and also I did not spend more money the first time but rather instead spent less and later spent more changing setups. This is the best advise you'll ever get.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 03:04 AM

Thanks guys! Like I said, I'm an Evo newb. I've searched around and most things were outdated and didn't know if things had changed any. I appreciate the input! My goal is to be over 300 but not over 350.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

I would say ets manifold with 1.5" runners is great, as for 02 I would buy Invidia or Shearer о2 dump
Old Jul 5, 2012, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

i can recommend Road/Race Engineering downpipe cause thats the one i got. not all downpipes fit the 9 cause of its ACD. this one does.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 housing is a matter of preference,
exhaust manifold- ported stock should suit your needs
Licp- ETS is probably going to be the general consensus here
Turbo back exhaust- again many options here I personally went with the ams tbe but that is a bit on the pricey side I would check with Modern Automotive Performance as they almost always have the best selection and price good luck with your decisions.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going through map for everything. I'm going ETS licp but I'm also buying it through map. Again, thanks guys!