Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

T-Case Rebuild OEM ring&pinion w/LSD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-Case Rebuild OEM ring&pinion w/LSD

So here is my question for those of you with rebuilt transfer cases, will the OEM ring and pinion with an LSD hold up to high torque or is the upgraded ring and pinion a must? I am looking for people with first hand experience, not answers like "My friend went with Shep stage 3 because blah blah blah" I know a huge problem with the stock tcase is the bearing tolerances and gear backlash is garbage. Your thoughts....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the factory LSD brakes more that stock ring and pinions on a hard launch. this is from seeing dozens of broke tcases locally. money would be better spent on a quaife or wave track diff if you plan to launch hard.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

I have a wavetrac now, my tcase was already whining when I put the wavetrac in. Do you think the wavetrac installed and a new oem ring and pinion, shimmed properly would hold up well?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
if you have to buy a new ring and pinion I think I would spend the extra 400 to get the upgraded ring and pinion.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Your probably right. My real dilemma was that I only put about 2,000 miles a year on the car and maybe 25 track passes if in lucky. I was trying to weigh out the cost vs. benefit. There isn't much feedback around here regarding this since most guys DD the Evo and put a lot of mileage on it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your yearly mileage really has no significant bearing on ring and pinion life if you drive reasonably on the street. Its your launches that are going to kill them. If you launch hard on the track, and I'm assuming you do, you will need to shell out the extra cash on the upgraded parts sooner or later. You can run what you have until something happens and risk ruining the housing and your wavetrac, or upgrade the R&P for an extra $400 and rest easy. If your anywhere over 400-450 HP its a no brainer.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I'm gonna do it. I wanted to poll the audience first just to get an idea. Yeah with the new turbo im gonna be way over that number.