Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quick MBC question.....advice please.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick MBC question.....advice please.

I am about to buy a Hallamn MBC evolution. If I put on the MBC on and hold boost at 19psi till redline is there any fuel managament that I need to do? Or will it be ok...I dont wnat to blow anything by going lean. Right now all I have is a air filter but when I add the MBC I plan on installing a BOV. Just want to make sure the fuel and airfuel will be ok. THanks alot for the help.

Also where is the best place to buy it at?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Mine holds boost steady @ 19-20PSI with no spiking and with no fuel management mods. It's been in the 20s & 30s up here since I installed it and I've had no fuel cut issues in this cold dense air.

I bought my Hallman MBC at Mach V. They're good guys. Great customer service so far. They might be able to get it shipped out to you tomorrow and you might have it by the weekend since you're in SC and they're in VA.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Quick MBC question.....advice please.

Originally posted by scottatayamaha
I am about to buy a Hallamn MBC evolution. If I put on the MBC on and hold boost at 19psi till redline is there any fuel managament that I need to do? Or will it be ok...I dont wnat to blow anything by going lean. Right now all I have is a air filter but when I add the MBC I plan on installing a BOV. Just want to make sure the fuel and airfuel will be ok. THanks alot for the help.

Also where is the best place to buy it at?
You probably already know this, but you must first add a boost gauge...... I think 19 p.s.i. should be fine w/o any fuel adjustments. My car holds around 21 p.s.i. with the AMS MBC, but i did get a custom Dynoflash
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Mine holds boost steady @ 19-20PSI with no spiking
Where did you splice into?

I did like the directions said, I connected the boost controller from the Compressor to the waste gate actuator.

But I spike like F'ing crazy when I am riding in a gear and just smash the gas. In 3rd it'll spike to 21psi then taper down to 19psi.

But if I am in 4th or 5th, it spikes to about 21 and sometimes 22 psi and slowly (not like 2 seconds slow, like 8 seconds slow!!!) tapers down to 19psi....

Now, if I am going like a 1/4 mile run, I hit 19psi in all gears, and I'm fine.

I spliced in very close, I have about 4 or 5 inches of line on each tube, and the mbc is safe right under the MAF pipe.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ultor

Where did you splice into?

I did like the directions said, I connected the boost controller from the Compressor to the waste gate actuator.

But I spike like F'ing crazy when I am riding in a gear and just smash the gas. In 3rd it'll spike to 21psi then taper down to 19psi.

But if I am in 4th or 5th, it spikes to about 21 and sometimes 22 psi and slowly (not like 2 seconds slow, like 8 seconds slow!!!) tapers down to 19psi....

Now, if I am going like a 1/4 mile run, I hit 19psi in all gears, and I'm fine.

I spliced in very close, I have about 4 or 5 inches of line on each tube, and the mbc is safe right under the MAF pipe.
Ultor, there is confusion about where to hook up the MBC ports. Do not connect the MBC to the blower. The correct way to do it is to connect the bottom port to the hose between the intake and BOV, and the side port to the wastegate actuator. Take a look at this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=silverevo8
I posted a little drawing of the proper way to connect the MBC. Mine holds rock steady at whatever boost I set it

Good luck

Last edited by silverEVO8; Feb 3, 2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yea... I remember reading that thread... I guess I'll try it that way, thxs! =)
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yea... I remember reading that thread... I guess I'll try it that way, thxs! =)
Yeah, it's worth a try..... BTW, did you ever go to the British Virgin Islands?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Well.... you said the night life was dull =(

I love the look of that place, but on the Ol' hunny moon, I gotta have TV and stuff to do at night.... (before the massive sex0ring)
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Well.... you said the night life was dull =(

I love the look of that place, but on the Ol' hunny moon, I gotta have TV and stuff to do at night.... (before the massive sex0ring)
Yeah.... I know what you mean. You gotta have what you want .... I just loved all the physical activity during the day.... At night, well.... there are ways to have fun too
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the help guys......I went ahead and ordered everything I forgot all about the boost gauge....I guess I need to order it also.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8

Ultor, there is confusion about where to hook up the MBC ports. Do not connect the MBC to the blower. The correct way to do it is to connect the bottom port to the hose between the intake and BOV, and the side port to the wastegate actuator. Take a look at this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=silverevo8
I posted a little drawing of the proper way to connect the MBC. Mine holds rock steady at whatever boost I set it

Good luck
No confusion here. My boost controller works perfectly. Apparently there must be more than one "correct" way to install an MBC.

There are a few differences between your approach and my approach:

1.) I tapped into a boost source at the same place where both Mitsubishi & Hallman decided to draw boost from.

2.) Your tap location is subject to a vacuum when the throttle plate is closed. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not.

3.) By tapping into the line that feeds the BOV/BPV, the entire intake tract must be pressurized before the MBC can react. Obviously this includes the upper & lower I/C pipes and the I/C itself.

If I was feeling motived I'd actually try both locations to see how differently they perform.

My $0.02...

Ultor,

If you want to swing my my house and take a look, drop me a PM or email. We're both in Springfield.

Edit: This might help some folks. Click image for a larger version.

Last edited by propellerhead; Feb 3, 2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by propellerhead

No confusion here. My boost controller works perfectly. Apparently there must be more than one "correct" way to install an MBC.

Well, if you read some of the other posts on that thread, you'll find some explanations as to why the best place for picking up the boost (pressure) signal is at the tee between the BOV and intake. Anyway, if your installation works for you, it should be good enough ..... BTW, picking up the boost at the manifold would be the most accurate place since that's what the engine sees.....
Old Feb 3, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8
Well, if you read some of the other posts on that thread, you'll find some explanations as to why the best place for picking up the boost (pressure) signal is at the tee between the BOV and intake. Anyway, if your installation works for you, it should be good enough ..... BTW, picking up the boost at the manifold would be the most accurate place since that's what the engine sees.....
Actually I did go back and read the entire thread you referenced. I really didn't see any conclusive evidence that pointed to which tap location was best. It boiled down to what the manufacturer of the valve recommends, which most likely is entirely based on personal experience and ancedotic at best.

One thing is for certain, when running at a constant boost level the pressure at the compressor outlet will be the same, regardless of where the MBC taps in. I think it boils down what sort of boost curve you are comfortable with.

I'm going to swap my tap location to the hose you've recommended. I'll post my findings here. I'll eat some crow if necessary.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I did go back and read the entire thread you referenced. I really didn't see any conclusive evidence that pointed to which tap location was best. It boiled down to what the manufacturer of the valve recommends, which most likely is entirely based on personal experience and ancedotic at best.
Well, I'd rather see it as empirical experience instead of anecdotal.... Anyway, some guys did it one way and some did it the other way.... The way I did seems to work as promised....

One thing is for certain, when running at a constant boost level the pressure at the compressor outlet will be the same, regardless of where the MBC taps in. I think it boils down what sort of boost curve you are comfortable with.

Yes, you are right in that the pressure will be the same everywhere once it all stabilizes.... However, as you pointed out, the pressure losses over the piping and the IC are likely to make the MBC fluctuate somewhat. It's good to remember that the boost gauge reads the manifold pressure rather than the turbo outlet pressure. Perhaps this is why the MBC appears to "hold" better when it gets it's pressure signal closer to where the gauge is reading it...... Of course, this is sheer speculation. YMMV, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I said I'd check in when I switched my boost tap point. I'm in the process of installing a Buschur stage 3 install. Guess what? The new lower IC hard piping coming off the turbo comressor doesn't have a tap like the stock unit does. It's a moot argument once you've upgraded your plumbing to the buschur hard piping.

I haven't had a chance to really monitor the boost levels under WOT but it seems to taper a bit more than before the mods. I've made so many changes that it's impossible to attribute the taper to the MBC tap location.

Quick Reply: Quick MBC question.....advice please.