Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Interested in a high output Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
the standard PC680 is what 220CCA? or something. my batt is the same size. i could have gotten one 1/2 the size with more CCA then the PC680 and weigh in at 2.Xlbs. but i wanted the most for the spot i had. as for the C680 i do not know much about it so i can not compare.

my batt is this one. http://www.shoraipower.com/Products/...36A3-BS12.html. not cheep but i am sure you understand the benefits of Lithium-Iron.

i also have there charger. but you can use a reg charger if needed.

mine has been out of the car since last AUG and still holds 13.1V sitting on the shelf with no charge.
Here's the specs on the Lithium Pros c680 that I was taking about/use

PHCA 680A
Reserve Capacity (Minutes) 26
Amp Hour Rating 11A
Max Amps 800
Length 7.17
Width 3.03
Height 6.57
Weight 4.63
Warranty 1 Year
Battery Chemistry Lithium - Sealed Maintenance Free

out of the box it was sitting at 13.4 volts, I mount mine to the fsb with zip ties and do short runs w/ the power/ground wires in 0-guage I love it so far!

Cost me $497 w/ shipping from buschur
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking at the Shorai lithium iron 540ca unit with 36 ah and charger for ~$350 range at the moment. The Lithium Pros looks amazing for sure but at close to $500 it's just a bit over what I'm wanting to put down for a battery at the moment.

Appreciate all of the input guys. Great to have a community where so many people come forward with so many proven options. Keep them coming for everyone

Thanks,
mitsuorder
Old Jul 5, 2013, 08:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Got the alternator in along with the above mentioned Shorai battery. Amazing. One question: anyone running this alternator realize an increase in their base fuel pressure?

Take care,
mitsuorder
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Got the alternator in along with the above mentioned Shorai battery. Amazing. One question: anyone running this alternator realize an increase in their base fuel pressure?

Take care,
mitsuorder
Nope, but it makes sense.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Nope, but it makes sense.
Did Nate ever address the issue with your alternator?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Not yet, I still havent shipped it. Alternator tested out fine. The problem was the plastic connector IMO.

Killed my Lithium battery however.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 03:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What happened R/T?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

My Lithium battery got fully discharged while I was driving it because my electrical connector to my aftermarket alternator popped off. After further review I noticed that the retaining "click" mechanism was no working because the aftermarket alternator plastic electrical connection wasn't right.

I still haven't sent it back. Just sent my turbine housing out for extrude hone, head is coming off to get fixed, and manifold and hot parts will be sent out to swain tech.... so I have a bit of time
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
My Lithium battery got fully discharged while I was driving it because my electrical connector to my aftermarket alternator popped off. After further review I noticed that the retaining "click" mechanism was no working because the aftermarket alternator plastic electrical connection wasn't right.

I still haven't sent it back. Just sent my turbine housing out for extrude hone, head is coming off to get fixed, and manifold and hot parts will be sent out to swain tech.... so I have a bit of time
mmmmmmmmm extrude hone. yummy. please please post pics once you get it back. i want to do my TS housing but am afraid to much material would be removed from the divider causing issues. i also contemplated doing the manifold just to smooth it out on the inside but they wanted a bit more then i wanted to spend.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Extrude honing is definitely top notch. Love looking at pics of the process. You know I was concerned about the connector of the Excessive Amperage unit myself as the first two or three times I attempted to seat it, it just wouldn't click. Finally got on it with my hand at a different angle an "click" it went on. Maybe he had changed them since the first were made. Either way I hate to hear that happened.

Which lithium battery were you running? I'm currently on the Shorai LFX36A3-BS12 evodan2004 recommended and am quite impressed. With 0 gauge from the alternator to relay and fuse block power wires, 0 gauge back to the battery in the trunk, then 4 gauge back to a distribution block for spal fan and starter I'm getting 14.2 volts reading at the instrument cluster. The Magnafuel 4303 is definitely much happier.

Last edited by mitsuorder; Jul 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So car was having idle tuned out this evening. Headlights were turned on and car died with dead battery. Have not been able to check that connector yet. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:27 PM

when you check the connector make sure its seated properly, i have one of the first units and i ziptied the connector wire to my 0 gauge to make sure it stayes plugged in, so far so good, its been like that since march.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah it clicked and seated 100% when I installed. Took the alternator out yesterday and replaced with older oem unit. The high output unit def nuked itself.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Yeah it clicked and seated 100% when I installed. Took the alternator out yesterday and replaced with older oem unit. The high output unit def nuked itself.
is there a count for dead HO alternators now? And has anyone sent them back to be repaired to fix the connector and dead issue? Im guessing the regulator went Kafutz on the dead ones.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:54 AM

so is anyone getting any value out of this, surprised how the thread turned out.

Quick Reply: Interested in a high output Alternator?