Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Comp Turbo Evo Drop-In Turbos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He hasn't replied back yet. I'll keep this thread updated when he does.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by TommiM
People in the mr2 forums like it for exaclty that reason, those folks are all about frugile..

You will probably find alot more info on them there.
I am doing a build at the moment on an MR2 with the CT24947 Comp Turbo. Hopefully it gets full boost around 3k-3.5k I want it for the billet wheel technology.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:29 AM

if it's anywhere around 800-1100 bucks new i'll definitely get one...that's what i'll be spending on a newish IX turbo anyway, so why not
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ademarco
I am doing a build at the moment on an MR2 with the CT24947 Comp Turbo. Hopefully it gets full boost around 3k-3.5k I want it for the billet wheel technology.

Im really not certain exactly which model he has other than its a 50 trim. Hes making full boost around 3000-3500. Its crazy, but it almost feels like that turbo is more responsive than my old setup with the precision t3/t4 I had
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

I love the idea of an FP Red or Black but the price tag is pretty big. Comp has had a pretty good reputation over the last few years
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Comp turbos are garbage. I wouldn't run one if you paid me. They have a high failure rate and sell very few turbos. I had a buddy have 7 Comp triple ball bearing turbos need rebuilt or replaced. Each time he was charged money as well. He had about 7k in failed Comp turbos. He went with a PTE 7675 and made 200 more whp with better powerband and it didn't fail every hundred miles. The Comp turbos also cost him multiple Tuning sessions because they failed immediately. Look him up on Supra forums. 93HardtopTT.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
Comp turbos are garbage. I wouldn't run one if you paid me. They have a high failure rate and sell very few turbos. I had a buddy have 7 Comp triple ball bearing turbos need rebuilt or replaced. Each time he was charged money as well. He had about 7k in failed Comp turbos. He went with a PTE 7675 and made 200 more whp with better powerband and it didn't fail every hundred miles. The Comp turbos also cost him multiple Tuning sessions because they failed immediately. Look him up on Supra forums. 93HardtopTT.
The comp turbo on the mr2 has one season of autox and one hpde. Currently its getting tuned on e85 and boost being turned up a bit. So far no issues with this comp turbo. This one has the upgraded 360 deg. thrust bearing. Im not to sure on their options but this is what I was told about it.

Heres a pic of his setup. Has over 6k miles, been on the car over 3 years, and the turbo has no shaft play. The car isnt really a dd and was down for a bit getting the engine worked on.

Last edited by TommiM; Dec 2, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:47 PM

Well fortunately for us this has zero correlation to our cars since we're not running knock off Volvo Semi truck turbos in our cars and running them not as intended from the factory i.e changing from TT to single
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Well that's not Comp's fault. That's his fault for being an idiot and buying another Comp after the 2nd one blew up.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The BMW guys have had not so hot luck with them either. The guys at comp are some of the original guys from ITS(Innovative turbo systems). I had an ITS ball bearing 50 trim back in the day. Lasted 3 weeks at 28psi.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJustin
Well fortunately for us this has zero correlation to our cars since we're not running knock off Volvo Semi truck turbos in our cars and running them not as intended from the factory i.e changing from TT to single
What are you trying to say here? That comp turbos are knockoff semi truck turbos? Do you really think a stock twin turbo setup is better in any way on a Supra than a properly sized single?

Originally Posted by BDecker9
Well that's not Comp's fault. That's his fault for being an idiot and buying another Comp after the 2nd one blew up.
They were getting him for "repair" costs and shipping since it wasnt thier fault and any warranty requires shipping two ways. He didnt want to give up right away and the more money he had wrapped up the less likely he was to cut and run until it got way to silly.

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
The BMW guys have had not so hot luck with them either. The guys at comp are some of the original guys from ITS(Innovative turbo systems). I had an ITS ball bearing 50 trim back in the day. Lasted 3 weeks at 28psi.
Not such a good history. Also as a point of reference these were all triple ball bearing turbos. The best of the best according to comp. He is the only person I know who tried one and it was a multi year fail and a ton of $$$. He is happy as a clam at ~1000whp and perfectly reliable with the PTE now. Car is stupid fast.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I guess Comp turbos don't like 2JZ's? I haven't heard anyone not like them. I know of a few people that are running them, and are making some serious reliable power. It's hit or miss, just like any other turbo out there. Apparently all the people I know that have them, got the good ones lol
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:26 AM

What are you trying to say here? That comp turbos are knockoff semi truck turbos? Do you really think a stock twin turbo setup is better in any way on a Supra than a properly sized single?

They were getting him for "repair" costs and shipping since it wasnt thier fault and any warranty requires shipping two ways. He didnt want to give up right away and the more money he had wrapped up the less likely he was to cut and run until it got way to silly.

Not such a good history. Also as a point of reference these were all triple ball bearing turbos. The best of the best according to comp. He is the only person I know who tried one and it was a multi year fail and a ton of $$$. He is happy as a clam at ~1000whp and perfectly reliable with the PTE now. Car is stupid fast.
There must be a language barrier here or something to create questions so incredibly random like this,

To answer the strange questions, no I would never consider a stock turbo system to be better than an aftermarket system unless the aftermarket system was defective... I'm saying supra owners love to go with giant semi sized turbos,
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

sub
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

I just emailed them back again, hopefully they reply back today.

Quick Reply: Comp Turbo Evo Drop-In Turbos