Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExViTermini
Totally not normal. Maybe a qt or so in 3k hard miles. This one must have a yard nome siphoining some off at nite
I'd have to agree, only if this was a little lower, I'm afraid to go on a longer than 200 miles trip as that's how much it took to burn over half a quart of oil. Also I'm not sure if it makes sense, but the car seem to consume more oil when just casually driving or a long trip than around town with lots of 2,3 or 3,4 or 1,2 quick pulls.

I'm at around 680 miles and I poured the remainder of the 2nd bottle of oil which topped it off. I should be at around 850 miles per 2qt's of oil.

Since I'm consuming so much oil, does it even make sense to change it, I basically do 2 oil changes (by just topping it off) in 3k/miles or just change oil-filters?

Compression numbers looked like this:
150, 150, 152, 151

What should the compression numbers be for an Evo? I'll have to look them up unless someone can provide quick answer
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
150 is reasonable for stock compression or so. Have you taken the car in to a shop to have them look it over? Something is dramatically awry for this kind of consumption with no dead obvious reason.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
150 is reasonable for stock compression or so. Have you taken the car in to a shop to have them look it over? Something is dramatically awry for this kind of consumption with no dead obvious reason.
No I have not, I have a mechanic friend who is also inclined on that it's the engine just going through oil. Tom finished tuning it and I shot a video today of it smoking, while the diesel smoke is mostly cleaned up, blue smoke is clearly visible whenever I get in boost.

Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It's def burning some, but I don't think you could point it at the engine, considering it was doing it before. What is your crankcase vent system like?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think your crank venting is lacking too. Maybe just a bad PCV leaking boost into Crank case. My car was blown up and didn't use that much oil.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by batty200
I think your crank venting is lacking too. Maybe just a bad PCV leaking boost into Crank case. My car was blown up and didn't use that much oil.

I have two pcvs on the intake manifold side one before catch can and one after. The brether hose is stock on the intake to the side of the head. Its a completely stock system besides the catch can in between and all pcvs been changed for the product tscompusa is using.

Intake manifold , intercooler and exhaust side of the turbo are clean yet all the pistons are covered in oil , where is this oil coming from ? It isn't being materialized there from nothing. The piston-top from passenger side looked like there was a puddle of oil on it when i took out the plug.

Last edited by bbong; Jun 17, 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you do proper leak down test on the engine? That requires popping the rockers all off. I'd dot that and get it over with.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are the ports in the head clean? Just make sure all PCV valve's are installed correctly. You could also unhook the PCV system from Amy boost source and see if that helps. However you should see oil in the intake and piping. Valve seals would usually smoke at idle and under vacuum. A leak down teat like BR suggested is your best bet right now. Since Two shortblock have done it I would say it is external to them.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Did you replace the turbo yet? Check your LICP and intercooler and see if there's oil inside there...
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Did you do proper leak down test on the engine? That requires popping the rockers all off. I'd dot that and get it over with.
I've done one without popping the rockers off, but will do that again once I figure out how to pop the rockers :P

Originally Posted by batty200
Are the ports in the head clean? Just make sure all PCV valve's are installed correctly. You could also unhook the PCV system from Amy boost source and see if that helps. However you should see oil in the intake and piping. Valve seals would usually smoke at idle and under vacuum. A leak down teat like BR suggested is your best bet right now. Since Two shortblock have done it I would say it is external to them.
I re-checked the PCV's, they're installed correctly, when intake manifold under vacuum it's open, under boost it's closed.

Removed the UICP and it's completely dry, pre-intercooler is also dry and yeah I never get smoke when idles (unless it's condensation being evapped.).

Originally Posted by kyoo
Did you replace the turbo yet? Check your LICP and intercooler and see if there's oil inside there...
That's been checked over and over, it's dry in there and yes Turbo's been replaced.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
What was the leak down test results with rockers on?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
What was the leak down test results with rockers on?
That was on the other TTR block, on this one I haven't done it yet as I'm pretty busy, but if doing it without popping the rockers off will still be accurate, I can probably perform it sometime this week.

I've been driving the car, but watching over the oil closely and topping it off. Though something that is weird is that casual driving, it seem to consume more oil than when beating on it.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

I read were a lot of people have built motors that use oil. I don't get it?
I've had two map motors and they burn no oil at all. My current motor has 1800 miles on it.
It has Has been on a mustang dyno, street tuned and me beating on it from time to time. I'm getting ready to change the oil, but I haven't added any. It's still full. I'm running 20/50 synthetic.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mrauto50
I read were a lot of people have built motors that use oil. I don't get it?
I've had two map motors and they burn no oil at all. My current motor has 1800 miles on it.
It has Has been on a mustang dyno, street tuned and me beating on it from time to time. I'm getting ready to change the oil, but I haven't added any. It's still full. I'm running 20/50 synthetic.
I'm on 2nd everything and it burns **** ton of oil, if I didn't add oil in just 1000 miles, I'd probably spun a rod bearing as it burns so much.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have oil pooling on the tops of the pistons, I doubt it is the turbo. What was done to the head before/during/after the motor swaps. Could be your valves guides leaking. That would explain oil on the pistons after two replacement short blocks if the head stayed the same other than a deck.

If the head was pressurized and the valves were all closed it may have checked out ok because of the oil flowing in the reverse direction of the pressure check. I am no expert on this subject but it gives you another scenario to look at.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption