Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo List

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
When you say rule of thumb, I assume you mean merely ballpark and should really just be taken with a grain of salt. For example the 38lb/min 16g td05 would translate to 380hp. In reality there are plenty of people running the stock turbo making upwards of 400whp. Thats a different of ~100hp when you factor in drivetrain loss. What gives?
He probably means for flowing the turbo within the rated shaft speeds. The stock turbos running close to 400hp at the wheels are far exceeding the intended shaft speeds of the turbo.

Last edited by nollij; Apr 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^That's the only logical explanation I can make from it. I guess its not recommended, efficient or sustainable for long periods of time but certainly is possible.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
When you say rule of thumb, I assume you mean merely ballpark and should really just be taken with a grain of salt. For example the 38lb/min 16g td05 would translate to 380hp. In reality there are plenty of people running the stock turbo making upwards of 400whp. Thats a different of ~100hp when you factor in drivetrain loss. What gives?

If your car could make an extra 25HP by revving it 2000RPM higher would you do it without making any changes to the valve train? Because that's what people do to turbos all the time they exceed the advertised flow rate of the turbo by over speeding the turbo. If the turbo is rated at 50LB a minute and you're making 550WHP that's a pretty good indicator that you're working that turbo harder than it was intended.

So basically what a turbo is rated at and what it'll actually produce are two different things.

-Michael
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Michael, thank you for the analogy. I understand exactly what you are saying. I guess I am in that crazy crowd then. My car was on e85 running ~28psi for over a year now. Ive been on 93 and back down to ~23psi during the winter to take it easy but I will be going back to corn in the next couple of weeks and turning up the wick again.

When the time comes and my turbo explodes or I get bored of my current power I will definitely be giving you a ring.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love how I don't have to follow up at all. Mike basically answers with everything I would say.

Last edited by bitterchild; Apr 12, 2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Thanks for the FP updates Mike
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Michael @ FP
So if I were you I would stick to flow ratings and wheel specs that should tell anyone anything they want to know. Because if you try and attach a boost rating or spool to it you're bound to be very wrong and ball parking it within 10lbs or 1500RPM isn't really helping anyone.

-Michael
Maybe I should clarify, I'm not really interested in making a 'how much power' turbo list. I think those are silly.
I want to make a list that is informative on turbos, some key principals to them, and if possible, give accurate guidelines on supporting mods for said turbo. give good parameters. Like Sparky said - to demystify, and and educate on turbo's.
And also, I think you misunderstood me. I meant using a set intake pressure as a calibration point for other data. Then for spool I meant to provide comparison of spool speed compared to a system that the majority of us are familiar with, say IX turbo with 2.5 pipes... or whatever- if nothing else at least provide a bullet point on what affects spool speed.

Originally Posted by nollij
Saving that data dump on my "useful **** to have lying around" car document.

Making a modification sheet for every turbo to adequately feed it is a bit... well... not useful. Do we really need to dumb this down that much? What assumptions should we be making about fuel used, fuel pressure, VE, etc to put together a list? You may be spending a lot of time putting together information that fits only certain situations and is more burdensome to navigate than actually knowing what to do for a setup.

ie: if want to run turbo x then use option 32 modifications unless you are using E85 then use option 92 modifications unless you are running higher fuel pressure then you can use items 6 and 7 from option 32 in place of items 6 and 7 of option 92.
I think it's important to explain dynamic systems in a simple context; not inaccurate, but understandable. I dunno, maybe you like reading off of Ebscohost, but most people don't learn that way.
Also, not a 'mod list' like that... geez- no duh that wouldn't be helpful. I mean guidelines more so.

Last edited by TrippinKent; Apr 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Bump! Why did this thread die?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 06:35 AM

Damn this is great. I think this will help a lot of people figure out what setup they want. Props for the good work man.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael @ FP
Added inducer/exducer dimensions of the HTA turbos and fixed a couple of flow rates you had wrong.

-Michael
You didn't add the 6466TZ?!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:06 PM

Woahh woah, Totally forgot about this. I have some time this weekend I might try to rehash things
Old Aug 23, 2014, 04:04 PM

ill be back

gonna be looking into another turbo soon