Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strokers that have lasted 100k+ miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
one point of contention. balance shafts do absolutely nothing to rod bearing wear. the vibrations produced by the rotating assembly not being completely balanced are still created just as strongly with balance shafts as they are without.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is all about piston speed.....longer stroke motor needs a lower RPM limit due to increased piston speed. Isn't that the whole point of building a stroker anyway? You give up the RPM for increased torque output.
I am still learning a lot about this 4G63 motor but this applies to all motors.

I would think a built 2.3 with a conservative tune on a smallish turbo boosting low PSI would last a long time.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Someone is butt hurt, you shouldn't be criticizing mr. english major.

If you did not understand the thread title. Being having both the word stroker and longevity in it, then here is the explanation for you. Most people understand that strokers are built with aftermarket parts and non stock cranks, You obviously do not.
Now if you want to argue that a taking crank from a 64 putting it into 63 and doing it with stock pistons/rods is how the majority of strokers built then we have a problem. Since most people would be building them with aftermarket internals. You somehow think that I meant it would be a fair to compare this to a stock 2L block?

Glad to see you get all huffy about english, yet are unable to answer the original question posed as the thread title. As odds and logic would dictate, that someone on this forum must have a stroker, has kept it under 8250rpm and gotten 100,000 miles out of it. Currently this does not seem to be a possibility. Much less an expected out come.
Originally Posted by SDevo13
....Is english a second language for you?

I really think you need to do some reading because you obviously have no idea wtf you are talking about.

There is no such thing as a STOCK bottom end +1300whp 2L 4G63. Hell even 700+. Yes there have been 600whp+ stock block cars with severely limited torque curves (the stock rods go bye bye around 450wtq)....It is stock displacement but if you think ANY built 1300 WHP 4G63 is going to last even 1000 miles between refreshes you are sadly mistaken.

The issue brought up with longevity has to due with increased vibration due to removal of the balance shafts and rev'ing a 2.3L out past 8250 RPMS. It is the same thing as rev'ing a BUILT (see that word there: "built"<<<< that is important) 2L over 9500 RPMS.

You can set a conservative rev limit on a 2.3L and it will have the same life expectancy as its built 2L counterpart as BOTH 2.0 and 2.3 built motors REMOVE balance shafts.

The only reason ANYONE should ever builds 2.0's anymore is drag racing for the increased rev limit (crossing the traps in 4th) and class restrictions for race classes. If it is a street car moving the power band left and having more torque makes it much more enjoyable. I would really suggest talking to a shop that builds these motors as you obviously think the rest of us are blowing smoke.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Aug 17, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say strokers can definitely last 100k miles, if you consider bearings a maintenance item. Increased rod angle + not ideal r/s + beating the **** out of your car whilst making big power = replace bearings every 10-20K and your stroker will last 100K.

If someone is making 450tq+ on a 4cyl and doesn't think it should be necessary to open the motor up for maintenance before 100K I'd say they should pick up something with an LS and call it a day.

A woman may let you stroker for 100K, but she's gonna need some up keep.

Last edited by Blue91lx; Aug 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.0 4g63 vs 2.4 4g64

show me a 4g63 with stock internals that has over 400whp and lasted more than 100k miles on 400whp. not talking about a 2.0 that got 400whp at 85k miles and made it past 100k. 400whp for 100k miles with no hick ups.

my understanding of 4g64 and 4g63 is very limited, but based on my limited knowledge and understanding , i choose to believe the problems with the 4g64s with evo heads making more than 500whp dd cars has blown up for several reasons. 1)build quality 2) tune quality
i have seen 2.0 fresh from machine shops, on tune day smoking and blowing up.
so my advice (with limited knowledge and understanding) who ever is doing the work for u, should advise u on what they are comfortable with. if it is a shop they will always recommend for ur goals what is in their confident zone. if it is you ur self who is building then u know what ur comfortable with.

a local shop is building mine, the owner has a 500+ hp dd 2.4l 4g64 evo 9 for 3 years now. last year it bumped its hp tp 900+.

btw my dad has a galant with 232k miles on it.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Someone is butt hurt, you shouldn't be criticizing mr. english major.

If you did not understand the thread title. Being having both the word stroker and longevity in it, then here is the explanation for you. Most people understand that strokers are built with aftermarket parts and non stock cranks, You obviously do not.
Now if you want to argue that a taking crank from a 64 putting it into 63 and doing it with stock pistons/rods is how the majority of strokers built then we have a problem. Since most people would be building them with aftermarket internals. You somehow think that I meant it would be a fair to compare this to a stock 2L block?

Glad to see you get all huffy about english, yet are unable to answer the original question posed as the thread title. As odds and logic would dictate, that someone on this forum must have a stroker, has kept it under 8250rpm and gotten 100,000 miles out of it. Currently this does not seem to be a possibility. Much less an expected out come.
No, I just think its stupid. people are telling you the exact same thing and you keep asking for someone to tell you different

Thats why i'd love to see some proof of actual people who have done this. From what i've seen stock 2L kills strokers in longevity no matter what turbo you put on them.
Constrained to the stock valve train limits rev's? I am only talking about bottom ends. So far as I know Jeff Bush is doing 1300+whp on e98 on the 2L bottom end. Whats yours doing?
^^^ consecutive posts? Stock 2L kills strokers longevity? Wrong

Built 2L vs Built 2.3L under big power is the same thing as quite a few people have pointed out. When you are running huge power on a 4 cylinder the bearing refresh times are not like driving a stock car. People rebuild their motor so that they can run more than stock power levels. Higher than stock power levels built or not inevitably includes smaller windows for maintenance. You can't get around physics. Torque wears out bearings and eventually breaks things.

And as far as me not having a clue on 2.3L's, I'm sure thats why I have two very well built light weight rotating assembly 2.3L motors one of which is running 750whp on 33lbs of boost on a very conservative tune.

Your question has been answered multiple times and you keep looking for something else. Bottom line - run big power = replace bearings as maintenance (no matter what the displacement of the motor)

Last edited by SDevo13; Aug 17, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it would be nice to see a stroker example like this : buschur 2.0L 600whp+ on pump gas 70,000 miles. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lt-engine.html
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

From what I can see it's undisputable, not one single person has stepped in here and said they have gotten 100k out of their boosted stroker. regardless of power level.
So enjoy yours and let me know when the crank snaps.
Originally Posted by SDevo13
No, I just think its stupid. people are telling you the exact same thing and you keep asking for someone to tell you different

^^^ consecutive posts? Stock 2L kills strokers longevity? Wrong

Built 2L vs Built 2.3L under big power is the same thing as quite a few people have pointed out. When you are running huge power on a 4 cylinder the bearing refresh times are not like driving a stock car. People rebuild their motor so that they can run more than stock power levels. Higher than stock power levels built or not inevitably includes smaller windows for maintenance. You can't get around physics. Torque wears out bearings and eventually breaks things.

And as far as me not having a clue on 2.3L's, I'm sure thats why I have two very well built light weight rotating assembly 2.3L motors one of which is running 750whp on 33lbs of boost on a very conservative tune.

Your question has been answered multiple times and you keep looking for something else. Bottom line - run big power = replace bearings as maintenance (no matter what the displacement of the motor)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
There are plenty of high mileage 2.4L Motors in stock Mitsubishi cars. It isn't a 100mm Crank that's weak by design. It is the use it goes through. The bearings on a stock 2.4 at 140k miles looked new.
From what I can see it's undisputable, not one single person has stepped in here and said they have gotten 100k out of their boosted stroker. regardless of power level.
The 2.4 liter with 100mm Crank lasts just as long as a 2.0 without external issues such as abuse causing a failure. I over revved the crap out of my 2.4 today because it pulls a lot harder than the original one. If I would make the same power the 2 Motors would last the same amount of time on average. The 100mm Crank is not a "problem" it just makes more power. A 400whp stroker with a reasonable rev limit should easily live for a long time.

Last edited by batty200; Aug 19, 2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A properly built stroker can last as long as an OEM block. The biggest issues are obviously tolerances. The average engine builder isn't going to build a motor as tight to tolerances as an OEM manufacture with billions of dollars in research and MFR'ing experience. However a 2.3 from Buschur, particularly the high rev unit, is going to be my short block of choice once my stocker starts to die. Perfect for teh street, massive spoolup regained, can handle 800 or so whp, just a proper engine.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Fortunately what you see is very little of what's actually happening. Instead of generating a confrontational atmosphere around a very reasonable question, maybe you should go get a 2.3 or 2.4 and see how long it lasts. The proof is in the pudding.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

How much mileage have you gotten out of your stroker?
Originally Posted by batty200
The 2.4 liter with 100mm Crank lasts just as long as a 2.0 without external issues such as abuse causing a failure. I over revved the crap out of my 2.4 today because it pulls a lot harder than the original one. If I would make the same power the 2 Motors would last the same amount of time on average. The 100mm Crank is not a "problem" it just makes more power. A 400whp stroker with a reasonable rev limit should easily live for a long time.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Will you be the first buschur 2.3 to post up that gets 100k? I havn't seen anyone else owning one of his "works of art" post anything.
Originally Posted by High_PSI
A properly built stroker can last as long as an OEM block. The biggest issues are obviously tolerances. The average engine builder isn't going to build a motor as tight to tolerances as an OEM manufacture with billions of dollars in research and MFR'ing experience. However a 2.3 from Buschur, particularly the high rev unit, is going to be my short block of choice once my stocker starts to die. Perfect for teh street, massive spoolup regained, can handle 800 or so whp, just a proper engine.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't always ask questions, but when I do, I get mad when people answer them.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 8 2004, Stock internals pushing a little over 400 WHP not one issue. I am 80K right now and it's a DD. My friend is on AMS built EVO and has well over 150K and not one issue. I also have friends that are on different builds not know companies and blew their engine 3 times in 1k miles. Stay with AMS, Buschur Racing, ETS or Mellon. Just research the big companies. You pay a little more but they can tell you for sure how long you can expect your engine to last. I personally will go with Buschur Racing when I am going to upgrade my engine. They have the best price and quality. Beside Dave never ever got upset when I called and asked him questions.

Quick Reply: Strokers that have lasted 100k+ miles?