Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DIY Clutch - where to attach a hoist?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
DIY Clutch - where to attach a hoist?

Years ago I did a couple of DSM clutch jobs and found that if I reversed the transmission's end motor mount and used this as an attachment point the transmission hung level. This was a sweet way to handle a transmission. Now, I am starting a clutch job on my Evo 8 (5 speed) and I want to use this technique again.

I know people commonly use hoists when doing this job. So, the question is, where do you attach to the transmission (above the center of gravity) so that the transmission hangs level?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Please people – a little more wrench work and I'll be ready to pull the trans. I search and read - “works great if you use a hoist.” Well I have one but where do you hook up? I'd like to pull it this way as a good rehearsal for the install. It is easy to find the center of gravity when the trans is on the ground but impossible in the car.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the way I did mine was to support the rear of the transmission, where the tc mounts up, with a ratcheting tow strap secured to the strut bar. I then used jacks/jackstands under the transmission and used the ratcheting strap to adjust the height I needed.

heres a pic of what I am talking about:

Last edited by TommiM; Sep 7, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Well, the way I did mine was to support the rear of the transmission, where the tc mounts up, with a ratcheting tow strap secured to the strut bar. I then used jacks/jackstands under the transmission and used the ratcheting strap to adjust the height I needed.

heres a pic of what I am talking about:

Thanks for the reply.

I finally got started and have everything off down to the transmission, I held this job until September thinking it would be cool. Instead, we are having a heat wave and my garage, past late morning, is unlivable. So, today, I didn't pick up a wrench.

I have a chain fall hoist. This is minutely adjustable. I suppose when pulling the transmission it won't matter how it hangs so long as it doesn't fall to the concrete. Just need to go do it. Cool weather please.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

When removing it, correct, it doesn't matter so much. Its when reinstalling the trans, you got to have it at just the right angle, and you have to somehow lift the back end up so that's how I did it. When you lift the end like in the pic above it makes the job sooo much easier. After lining it up carefully I was able to adjust the straps to the height I needed and it slid right in, took minutes literally. G/L though, this pic was taken when I was in Nebraska, so ya Im familiar with the humidity and heat out there.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Look on the trans where the shifter assembly is, two of the bolts that hold that plate down also hold down a bracket with a loop on it, works perfect.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Humidity? This morning was so foggy that, as my wife and I set off for church, we could see for one block. But, by the time we arrived (30 minutes) the air was clear and it was getting hot. Tomorrow is supposed to be hot again but Tuesday cooler. So, tranny dropping on Tuesday.

With my DSM's tranny hanging from the center of gravity I could tilt it up or down and even rotate it as needed. So that is what I hope to do again. We'll see.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
Look on the trans where the shifter assembly is, two of the bolts that hold that plate down also hold down a bracket with a loop on it, works perfect.
I gotta go look. Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a chain winch hooked to a 2x8 on ceiling in my garage, strapped it around the trans. Came out easy as cake for the 2nd time lol
Old Sep 9, 2013, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Czarcasm
I had a chain winch hooked to a 2x8 on ceiling in my garage, strapped it around the trans. Came out easy as cake for the 2nd time lol
I may have the same hoist. And the idea of running the chain all the way around the tranny appeals to me.

I said I wasn't going to work today but it was somewhat cool early this morning so out to the garage. I set up my engine hanger. There is an extra arm that the hoist can be hung from and there is room. Things were looking good. With the transfer off and nothing left but the two mounts it was time to pop the throw out bearing. Well, my first attempt was feeble. I realized I needed to use something to get some leverage on the arm. Also, I decided to practice a little on the bench.

Playing, I had snapped the throwout bearing into the Monoloc on my new pressure plate the other day. It popped out easily with a screwdriver. So, I snapped it back in for another try. It won't come out. Finally, 15 minutes later, after some bicycle chain lube and by pushing down really hard, it came out.

So, the question is, whether to use the Monoloc. I am pretty sure, if I do, I will be unbolting the pressure plate to remove the tranny when clutch time comes again.

Last edited by barneyb; Sep 9, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt have a chain wrapped around it, had a strap and the chained hooked to that. Unbolting the pressure plate is simple if you do it thru the hole where the fork/slave cylinder is at, just gotta remove the rubber cover.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I learned a lesson. I'm not going to be playing with the monoloc and throwout bearing out of car any more. As for a strap, since I have the hoist hung off of a engine support arm spanning the transmission, I have plenty of chain to wrap with.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
I looked and looked and didn't see any loop. Well, today I finally got around to dropping the tranny, slid it out from under the car, looked down and there is this loop. It looks sturdy and right over the CG, in other words, put there for lifting. Well, I don't how to explain it except to say your information was good and I am brain blind.

Last edited by barneyb; Sep 14, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I will be doing this job soon, I was going to buy 12 ton jack stands and lift the car 30" off the grand.. how high up did you have your car off the ground? do you this a hoist would work better then a trans jack?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hoist works tremendously better than a tranny jack, it's very easy to do with a hoist.

Quick Reply: DIY Clutch - where to attach a hoist?