Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My evo viii build new to evo world

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My evo viii build new to evo world

Hey fellow evolutionm members, I am undertaking an build on my evo viii and would like your input. I am new to the evo world, more familiar with Hondas. I have an 03 evo viii that has stock long lock but a ams gt850r turbo kit and 3 inch ams exhaust. I have been buying parts over past two weeks currently have purchased :
jun 272 cams (purchased from Ross sport)
supertech 95lb seat pressure dual springs and titanium retainers
Hks cam gears and hks timing belt
Ams f1 intake manifold (should receive it mid February as it is on back order)
FIC 2150 high z injectors and resistor box delete plug
Boomba 75mm throttle body

My next purchase is an ams 2.3 stroker kit, ams race balance shaft delete, ams ems, and either a 4piston ported head or buschur racing stage 3 ported head (would like the 4piston because they did excellent job on my Hondas, but depending on when they make their evo viii head available for purchase will determine which one I get). My cars current clutch is act stage 3 rated up to 725 torque. Any necessary upgrades I am missing for reliability when using these parts? Any input on parts selection, every piece I have received so far seems to be excellent quality especially the jun cams. Car will be tuned by John Kerr at innovative motorworks, was going to go Ivey tune , but Kerr has tuned several of my past cars and has been nothing but exceptional. Thanks guys for the input as I am a noob to evo's.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:08 PM

Forgot to add that will also be using a fluidampr harmonic balancer, arp L19 head studs, and stroker kit contents are: Manley crankshaft, Manley I beam rods, je spec pistons, arp mains, with compression at 9.0:1
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not exactly familiar with the ams turbo kit but if your looking to make under 600whp, it would be wise to stay stock frame turbo, ie fp green, red, black, bbk full, bbk lite, ef 2.5, ef3, ef4. any of those are great turbo options.

regarding cams just get GSC cams, they are widely used and tested. s2 model is prob best for goals. also go with gsc valvetrain or kiggly(the best imo) becasue they use single beehive springs instead of dual springs to achieve the same pressures..im 90% sure 1 beehive is lighter than dual supertechs.

forget cam gears not needed.

f1 intake mani will gain massive up top but you will lose a ton of low end power...just have the stock one ported, only downside is its ugly but more more usable power.

fic 2150 best you can get.

tb you have a few options, boomba is fine. 75mm is overkill tho might as well just get your stocker ported to 65mm

bigger desnt always mean better and unless trying to build all out drag track car porting stock stuff and using mild cams will mean a much faster street car.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He already bought the parts so I don't think he is really trying to get rid of the parts now, but to op what is your power goals and intended use for the car once we have that we can give you a for sure on what other parts may be necessary.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Are you doing all the block work and assembly yourself? What power are you looking to make? What are your goals with the car? What do you plan to do with the car? What fuel are you running? What's your budget?

Another question is, why AMS? Their prices are pretty steep. They don't really do EVOs anymore either. They still have parts on their site but are usually unavailable. (just saw the delay in the f1 manifold).

Honestly, I would call MAP for all of those parts. I'm sure they would cut you a great deal if you are dropping that much money at one time. If you are not doing the work yourself, I would order a buschur or MAP short block.

What version of the AEM EMS are you wanting? Also, with the stock ECU, you probably wouldn't need one.

For the head work, do some research. Curt Brown seems to do a great job. He also ports stock intake manifolds. Does a great job as I'm running one. http://www.curtbrownracing.com/
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:57 PM

Gt850r uses a pte turbo can't remember exact size but it's def a bigger frame than stock close to a gt35r or gt37r, I have already purchased those parts, and power looking for 500+, I have civic as my daily driver so will be driving evo in weekends mainly and to meets and the drag strip.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:00 PM

Aem ems v2 was going to use haltech but tuner is familiar with aem. No I will not be doing the assembly and install innovative motorworks will be doing work for me.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:03 PM

I've read trying to dial in the jun 272 and get idle right it was recommended to me to upgrade to a speed density based engine management.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At 500+ (if your torque is roughly close to that) you will be getting close to the capabilities of the stock transmission and transfer case (5speed is good for 550ish ft lbs depending on how rough you are on it, the 6 speed is less, and the transfer case is also 550 is ft lbs). So I would look into getting transfer case and trans rebuilt and strengthened or make sure your tuner keeps the torque below that. But personally for the reliability factor I am rebuilding both at 450 hp is on my personal car. And if you don't already I would also look into the act monoloc just for a little peace of mind that your TOB won't pop out. I would also look into replacing your intercooler. Also speed density can be done on the stock ecu, so can the power level you are looking for, so you can save a good amount there which can be spent on other parts. But that being said the AEM unit is pretty good quality so if you must buy it you won't be disappointed if your tuner is good with it.

Last edited by jason42003; Jan 21, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:07 PM

Cool thanks for input guys I really appreciate it
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Like what was said earlier, I would not buy from AMS as they don't even support our platform anymore. Might be tough to get parts/service from them. You would be much better off dealing with the folks who currently support our platform and produce just as good of parts as they did. If your shooting for 500hp that turbo might be a bit overkill? Ive seen dynos on here of folks doing that with much smaller turbos. Its all about having the right combination of parts and a good tuner.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 05:59 AM

I haven't had any issues with ams and they've been nothing but helpful when I call them, but the gt850r kit was on car when I purchased so I would rather use it, if it makes more power then I'll upgrade other parts, just would like to lower spool time a little being as it doesn't spool till about 4400,
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:16 PM

all the parts you currently have are great parts. the jun cams are bad ***. but you can ditch the cam gears, they wont do you any besides look good. i love manley, i run manley but id be very careful when running their crank. A lot of ppl including ppl i know have had issues with the manley crank cracking. oem 4g64 seems to be very reliable for a 2.3 and cheaper. also since you already have cams and valve train like i did, call buschur and just ask to have your head ported and cleaned like i did. i paid like 300, which is extremely cheap. also as it may be recomended to build transmission and tcase, im at a little over 600awhp and 600ft/tq on a mustang dyno which is closer to 700 on a dyno jet and im still on stock transmission and tcase. if your going to drive your car hard and launch it all the time then build it, if not it should be fine, unless you have the funds then just do it. but that act clutch is going to have to go, you will have nothing but issues with it(lock out is common) buy and exedy twin or quarter master. good luck with your build!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:40 AM

Yea I've been reading a lot about twin disk clutch, so will be ordering that tomorrow. Which manley crank was cracking their race series crank or the turbo tuff crank?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:43 PM

their race series (forged crank). their billet cranks are great, havent heard anything bad about their billet cranks

Quick Reply: My evo viii build new to evo world