Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Triple plate wearing out 450 hp evo??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Exedy Triple plate wearing out 450 hp evo??

Ive run into a bit of a problem. i have an 03 evo 8 thats pushing about 450 hp. it has a twin disc exedy stage 5 clutch in it. the discs have recently stripped out. and i was debating buying new ones. my buddy has an exedy triple disc that he is selling. i want to grab it but it am worried that it is rated for too high of a horse power car and will DESTROY my tranny. Any input on if this theory is true or any advice on what path i should choose??? thanks stephen
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbannister14
Ive run into a bit of a problem. i have an 03 evo 8 thats pushing about 450 hp. it has a twin disc exedy stage 5 clutch in it. the discs have recently stripped out. and i was debating buying new ones. my buddy has an exedy triple disc that he is selling. i want to grab it but it am worried that it is rated for too high of a horse power car and will DESTROY my tranny. Any input on if this theory is true or any advice on what path i should choose??? thanks stephen
Yes, it is a little over the top for 450hp, but there's nothing wrong with installing it.
No, it will not destroy your transmission. Whoever gave you that kind of information should IMMEDIATELY go kill himself.

I would personally stick with the twin plate. It's very streetable and I like it. If he's going to sell you the triple for cheap, then go ahead, why not. The only thing I would suggest doing is installing a clutch fork stop and an ACT Monoloc with your clutch installment, as the Exedy clutches are notorious for popping the clip out during quick shifts.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Faisalm
Yes, it is a little over the top for 450hp, but there's nothing wrong with installing it.
No, it will not destroy your transmission. Whoever gave you that kind of information should IMMEDIATELY go kill himself.

I would personally stick with the twin plate. It's very streetable and I like it. If he's going to sell you the triple for cheap, then go ahead, why not. The only thing I would suggest doing is installing a clutch fork stop and an ACT Monoloc with your clutch installment, as the Exedy clutches are notorious for popping the clip out during quick shifts.
He wants $1,000 for it. the evo is my daily driver so thats my hessitation..... im not quite sure.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts
jump on it its a 2200 dollar clutch...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by yellowevo82
jump on it its a 2200 dollar clutch...
would it be more of a challenge as a DD? compared to the twin thats in it now?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts
yes it will be a bit more challenging. I look beyond that though. It wont be as bad as you think...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Do you live in a heavily populated area? Do you drive through a lot of traffic everyday?

If not then get the triple, it's a bargain.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Faisalm

I would personally stick with the twin plate. It's very streetable and I like it. If he's going to sell you the triple for cheap, then go ahead, why not. The only thing I would suggest doing is inststated a clutch fork stop and an ACT Monoloc with your clutch installment, as the Exedy clutches are notorious for popping the clip out during quick shifts.
Lol apparently you're not speaking from experience or have looked into what a triple can do.

Jack's trans, shep, etc don't warranty trannys used with a triple disc. Why? In order to get the triple to work right, your trans takes more of a beating. Our trans have a tendancy to wear out a ton quicker due to not having a pilot bearing. When using an evo trans with a triple in any type of stop and go traffic/on the street, it causes a lot of wear on all the parts. The triples are undergoing a tranformation as exedy themselves stated that this clutch can't be driven on the street for a long amount of time. These were made specifically for track cars only. It's not to say it can't be driven on the street, but the clutch needs a pedal stop and the least amount of travel possible in order to save the center hub they ride on. When having a small amount of throw, most of the time the synchros take the beating for that when shifting (clutch drag)

I've used a triple for the past two years, shifted awesome, but after having to replace two center hubs, three discs, and some floater plates I decided against it with any car driven on the street.

All of this info given was taken directly from phone calls and emails I've had with exedy themselves, along with some trans shops that are on here.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

exedy tripple is definitely overkill for your setup. Remember, clutches are rated for TQ, not HP. So in the future reference TQ numbers vice HP. I would buy it though for 1000 bucks u can't go wrong, you could trade it for a twin disc plus some cash too probably.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 420a-t
Lol apparently you're not speaking from experience or have looked into what a triple can do.

Jack's trans, shep, etc don't warranty trannys used with a triple disc. Why? In order to get the triple to work right, your trans takes more of a beating. Our trans have a tendancy to wear out a ton quicker due to not having a pilot bearing. When using an evo trans with a triple in any type of stop and go traffic/on the street, it causes a lot of wear on all the parts. The triples are undergoing a tranformation as exedy themselves stated that this clutch can't be driven on the street for a long amount of time. These were made specifically for track cars only. It's not to say it can't be driven on the street, but the clutch needs a pedal stop and the least amount of travel possible in order to save the center hub they ride on. When having a small amount of throw, most of the time the synchros take the beating for that when shifting (clutch drag)

I've used a triple for the past two years, shifted awesome, but after having to replace two center hubs, three discs, and some floater plates I decided against it with any car driven on the street.

All of this info given was taken directly from phone calls and emails I've had with exedy themselves, along with some trans shops that are on here.
May you please post a link from either Jack or Shepherd's website that states that they won't warranty transmissions that have been used with triple clutches?

A few months ago, I was looking to purchase a built transmission, and I read every single letter concerning that subject area in both Jack's website and Shepherd's website. I do not remember any statement made on their websites that claims they won't warranty triple clutches, unless they added that policy over the past few months, or maybe I was looking in the wrong section.

I do however, recall TRE's warranty claim, and he only stated that twin disc clutches were not covered by the warranty. Unless by twin he means multiple, nowhere does he mention anything about a triple clutch.

Link to TRE's Warranty Policies: http://www.teamrip.com/transmission%20warranty.html
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

I have it in an email directly from Jacks trans stating they, just like Shep and other trans shops, do not warranty their transmissions when used with a triple disc.

If the "big 3" evo trans shops won't warranty their work with a triple, what is that telling you? If Exedy states their triple needs a revision for the evo platform only, and should not be driven on the street, and if it's set up properly for the clutch, the trans will have issues, what is that telling you? Not trying to shy people away, as it is a great clutch and held my power and launching the cap out of my evo for the last few years, it's just not for a car that's driven on the street much and has a stock trans with stock parts and clearances.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 420a-t

Thanks! so def rebuild my twin then buy a triple? i also live in Pittsburgh so there is alot of start stop....