Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Change Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2004, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Oil Change Nightmare

I decided to do my first tire rotation and oil change on the EVO today. After finding the right tools to remove the wheels and overcoming a bit of resistance on a few bolts, the job went really smoothly. The oil change also intially appeared to be an easy job.
The drain plug was easy to reach and wasn't too tight (though the oil comes out like old faithful when you get the drain plug off) and the oil drained easily.

I come back an hour or so later to remove the oil filter and place the new one on, but there is a problem. The oil filter would not come off. I tried every possible variation of wrench/lever, but the filter stuck on as if it were cemented into place. I brought the car to have a break-in oil change before and I think they really screwed up. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised since they did add to much oil when they did it as well. I think they may have failed to lubricate the filter before putting it on or possibly used some sort of impact wrench.

I've done quite a few oil changes before and my dad who worked on it with me is quite experienced (mechanical engineer, been doing his own oil changes for decades) and we were stumped. We applied so much pressure that the oil filter actually bent, but it still did not budge! Now, my EVO is sitting on jack stands and ramps with no oil.

I am tentatively planning on filling the engine with regular 10W-30 and driving it a couple of miles to a local 10 minute oil change place and pray they know what they are doing. I also plan to call the Mitsubishi Roadside Assistance line to see if they can help, but I really have no confidence in them.

Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, please give me some suggestions.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a couple of people have had some real trouble removing the oil filter when changing the oil themselves. It seems the filter is really just too tight, and there isn't any damage done.

If the change was done at the dealer, take it back and have it redone. Tell them you're unhappy, and you might get it free.

You can always fill the motor back up and not change the filter right now. Filters don't need changed as quickly as oil anyway. You could probably get by another 2000 miles and take it to the dealer then.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've changed oil my car for like 3 times now and never encountered this problem. The best thing to do is get the right size oil filter remover that you can buy at any Autozone, Pepboys or Kragen. Use a torque wrench to take the oil filter with the oil filter remover on. You should be able to take the oil filter.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by solarxclipse
I've changed oil my car for like 3 times now and never encountered this problem. The best thing to do is get the right size oil filter remover that you can buy at any Autozone, Pepboys or Kragen. Use a torque wrench to take the oil filter with the oil filter remover on. You should be able to take the oil filter.
We used a strap-type oil filter wrench with various extensions for more torque that should be as at least as good.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

What to do: take off passenger wheel, remove plastic wheel well cover to give more clearance, get a strap type wrench and twist that **** off. You can do it. you are not at the right angle from under the car.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never had this problem with my EVO but have had problems before with filters and couldn't get them of with filter wrenches both strap or metal. Ended up pounding a screwdriver into the filter housing and using it to turn the filter. Whoever installed your filter before should be shot. You don't have to crank down on them to seal them up.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I had this problem with another car before. I bought a plier-type filter wrench, crushed the filter can with it, and twisted that sum ***** off. The screwdriver trick above sounds like a good plan too.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Channel-locks will do the trick nicely.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:28 AM

Driving a screwdriver right threw it has always worked for me; just use a big one for more leverage!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

the strap type wrenches work wonders.. mine was tight after the first oil change but the wrench got it done....
Old Mar 7, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I had problems getting the oil filter off for the first oil change. I finally got it off with a large pair of channel locks. I had to crush the filter before I finally got it off. They put those on there damn tight.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Every new car I have ever changed the oil on (first oil change) has had the oil filter on there really tight. It is like they use an oil filter impact wrench on them at the factory.

I like the big socket that you can buy for oil filters. I have done the screwdriver through the filter numerous times.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Well after talking to a couple of service station managers and thinking about it, I have decided to take it back to the dealer service department that provided the cement seal. I think the job is going to be really messy and I really don't want to screw up my father's garage.

With no oil, its gonna have to be brought on a flatbed truck (I'm not gonna waste nearly 5 gallons of Mobil 1 and count on the now bent/partially crushed oil filter to be working). I think I'm going to have to insist that I personally watch them lubricate and hand tighten the new filter properly. You got to love Mitsubishi Service.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, you can put new oil in now and change the filter later without losing the oil in the pan. It will not come out the filter hole. You may just need to top it off a little since the new filter needs to be primed.

You rather spend $60 or more for a tow when you can drive over. Waste of money.

Last edited by SinCityEvo; Mar 7, 2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SinCityEvo
Dude, you can put new oil in now and change the filter later without losing the oil in the pan. It will not come out the filter hole. You may just need to top it off a little sine the new filter needs to be primed.
I know that, but there may very well be a small pin-sized hole as we crushed it quite a bit. I'm bringing it back to the Mitsubishi Dealer who did the last oil change so I have to put Mobil 1 in it if I drive it over (Can you imagine how quick they'd void my warranty if they saw conventional 10W-30 in there?). Frankly, I don't feel like blowing the $25 on Mobil 1 for a 20 minute drive when its gonna have to be immediately changed after. I can get them to take it there for free (already called the 24 hour roadside assistance number and I also have AAA), but I have placed a huge sign in the interior to prevent anyone from accidentally starting the oil-free engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Nightmare