Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kevlar belts - change interval?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevlar belts - change interval?

Hey guys,

20+ yr DSM vet but I've never used an aftermarket Kevlar t-belt.

Assuming all components (seals, gaskets, water pump, tensioner, pulleys) changed at the same time, would it be safe to schedule the next job 120k miles out?

I would think so, or else why pay +$200 for a belt anyway??
Old May 27, 2014, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't suggest running a Kevlar belt unless the vehicle is used for racing where running time is minimal ie; drag/circuit racing. Daily driving I would stick with oem belt which always for expansion and less stress on the hydraulic tensioner
Old May 28, 2014, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The OEM 9 belt is Kevlar. Does Mitsubishi have a longer service interval for a 9?
Old May 28, 2014, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
I wouldn't suggest running a Kevlar belt unless the vehicle is used for racing where running time is minimal ie; drag/circuit racing. Daily driving I would stick with oem belt which always for expansion and less stress on the hydraulic tensioner
Good point, I had not thought of those consequences.
Old May 28, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I've run both the Gates Kevlar and OEM belts to 60k of Daily Driving

Both swaps the timing components looked just as good as the day I put them on.

You'll be fine with either, I'd still follow manufacturers recommendation for belt replacement no matter which you choose
Old May 28, 2014, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
The OEM 9 belt is Kevlar. Does Mitsubishi have a longer service interval for a 9?
We as a community continually push the limits well past Mitsubishi's intended engineered guidelines. It's well documented that a stock Evo block can handle well over 400bhp and roughly 375 ft lbs.

My point here is why do aftermarket Kevlar belts exist? Are people using them to increase their change interval, or are they simply to handle the added increase in higher strength valve springs some of us may be using?

Pulleys and tensioner rarely fail within the first 120k miles in my experience. So if the only real weak point is the OEM belt, maybe these aftermarket racing belts can help us extend the change interval.

Anyone with real/personal experience?
Old May 28, 2014, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
x2 oem belt
Old May 28, 2014, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Extending timing belt change interval is well dumb. If you like to play in the fire go for it, but whether running a Kevlar belt or OEM anyone I have ever talked with and myself have always followed the same change interval

I wouldn't change a belt without doing all timing components at the same time. I don't care what they look like coming off.

Couple hundred vs couple thousand

No brainer
Old May 28, 2014, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Ok , I think I'm not expressing myself clearly

I've always replaced my belts in all my Mitsubishi's every 60k. I'm not saying it's smart to wait until 120k.

I'm asking what is the point of the aftermarket Kevlar belts?

So are people actually buying them, and if so, why?

Last edited by tsitalon1; May 28, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 60k on my Kevlar belt and don't plan on changing it anytime soon. I do check the belt regularly. It is not wearing at all. The benefits are longer service interval and better accuracy of valve timing. It is actually less work on the tensioner if the belt doesn't flex or stretch. It is not a bad idea to swap it at regular service interval though.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told that the main reason for the Kevlar timing belts were for those running aggressive aftermarket cams. The few aftermarket Kevlar belts seem to look and feel just as stiff as the oem one though, minus the variations in colors offered.

Apart from my Kevlar timing belt I also had at one point a Kevlar serpentine belt. The colored finish wore away really fast even though the the timing belt stayed brand new, go figure, they were from the same manufacturer. I used it for curiousities sake, but I ended swapping it out for a regular Gates belt. I deleted the a/c so that belt wouldn't work anymore.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have to hand it to Mitsubishi for sticking to the 60K recommendation. My Subaru's timing belt interval is 105K but the mechanics say there's a sprocket that often fails before that mileage. Two heads, four cams that have to come off before you can reach the head bolts and you have to pull the engine if that sprocket goes. Not nice.