Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question filling transfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question filling transfer case

I'm in the process of refilling my t case. I started out filling it from the drain, but my pump is short so it stopped pushing fluid before it started to run out of the fill hole. Although I had already used about half a quart, so I figured if fill it the rest of the way from the fill hole. I got to where it stopped taking fluid and it was running out of the hole. The issue is when I put my finger in there I don't really feel fluid it's just slick. There's a gear in the way obviously but should I feel a lot of fluid if it's full? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm not trying to replace my t case
Old May 29, 2014, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Load it, turn the wheels several times ( or take it around the block) and top it off.
Old May 29, 2014, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

I've turned the wheels multiple times, 2 different times. The first time it freed up some more room, the second time fluid continued to flow out of the fill hole. It still didn't feel full though
Old May 29, 2014, 03:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
most shops (not internet mechanics) that have experience will tell you it is very suspect to fill from the fill hole. it may or may not work..probably will most of the time. i decided to not take the chance. if i remember right, i ran tubing through my engine bay and into the drain plug then let gravity do the work (i bought the wrong type of pump). it was a bit messy, as i had quite a bit of leftover fluid in the tubing when i was done. imagine pulling that and putting in the drain plug at the same time LOL.
messy, but i felt more safe doing it that way and forcing the air out through the fill hole.
Old May 29, 2014, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive filled it from the drain before. I used a regular pump and just used my hand to cover around the tube, worked fine. ive just gone back to pumping it slowly from the fill plug. If you used roughly .7 quarts of fluid then you know you will be fine. The trick is just to pump it in nice and slow. It probably took me about 30 min to pump and check the transfercase fluid level. When I have used roughly .7 quarts I pump a few more times and quickly place the fill plug-- throw in a few extra squirts for good measure.

I couldn't do this all at once though. At around the half quart, the fluid was spilling over the fill hole. I actually had to stop, rotate the wheels a few times to rotate the gears inside. Then I let it sit for a few minutes. After that I was able to pump in the last .2-.3 quarts it needed.
Old May 29, 2014, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
IMO the filling through the drain method is a whole lot of trouble and a way to make a mess for nothing. I've always filled mine through the fill plug. When it starts backing out, I rotate the wheels by hand a bit, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then continue. I do this once or twice and have always gotten the correct amount of fluid in, which I confirmed by checking the fluid level a few days after changing the oil.

There's a difference in the way the fluid leaks from the fill hole depending on whether the tcase is truly full or if it just needs to sit a bit; The later will leak rather slowly, while the former will leak noticeably more.
Old May 29, 2014, 08:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord

There's a difference in the way the fluid leaks from the fill hole depending on whether the tcase is truly full or if it just needs to sit a bit; The later will leak rather slowly, while the former will leak noticeably more.
+1. if it's occasionally dripping out, it's not done. if you have a nice, slow, steady run then you know it's good.
Old May 29, 2014, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yep. I always get that steady stream when its topped off as well.
Old May 30, 2014, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Alright cool, thanks for the help guys
Old May 30, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

After you think it's full, if the car is on jackstands, put it in 1st and let the wheels turn slowly with the engine idling and then re check the level of the fluid. If it leaks out immediately after you pump some fluid in, then it is actually full. Take your time on the TC and do it right. I don't know how many threads I've seen of "just changed my drivetrain fluids 500 miles ago and now my transfercase whines" because they didn't fill the TC correctly

I'm changing all my fluid right now and I'm in the same boat. The car has been sitting on jackstands waiting for my MT90 to come in, but then I will do that check and make sure the TC and rear diff are full

Last edited by ILuvJDM; May 30, 2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wish I had seen this thread before I changed out my transfer case oil yesterday. It took me hours (almost 4 hours in total) to do via the fill hole.

I was able to get about .35 quarts in before it started spilling out. I then waited 10+ minutes between each subsequent fill and was only able to get another .05 quarts in each time.. I'm an idiot and didn't think to turn the wheels... When I finally reached about .6 quarts I drove it around the block. I then put it back on jack stands and filled about another .2 quarts.

I'm still afraid it's not filled enough.

Another factor that increased the time was the last time I drove the car before I drained it was the night before.

What a nightmare.

Last edited by Kreeker; Jan 18, 2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Filling through the drain is by far the easiest. A 3/8 pipe to 3/8 barb 90* fitting works perfectly and I usually only spill a could drops of fluid. Takes 5 minutes to pump in a whole quart. Then I drive the car around, let the fluid settle, then pop the fill plug out to drain some of the excess.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Filling through the drain is by far the easiest. A 3/8 pipe to 3/8 barb 90* fitting works perfectly and I usually only spill a could drops of fluid. Takes 5 minutes to pump in a whole quart. Then I drive the car around, let the fluid settle, then pop the fill plug out to drain some of the excess.
I will try to use this method next time. When I was reading about filling through the drain plug before I did it, I was thinking how the hell do you remove the hose and and then plug the drain fast enough to not lose so much oil. Then I realized how thick the SAE90 gear oil actually is...

Not having a lift also makes this job suck major *****.

Also, do you think I should be worried about the .8 quarts I filled it with? I know some of that was also lost due to spillage out the fill hole.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I always triple check fluid level. Easy way to tell now that the car has been driven around is get under the car (car needs to be level) and pull the fill plug out. If fluid runs out, you're good. If it doesn't, try to use a mirror and flashlight to look into the hole; If the fluid is level with the hole, you're good. If it's not, you need to add fluid.

For me, the tcase is too sensitive to fluid levels, and to expensive to rebuild to call it good based on, "I'm pretty sure I got .75 qts to stay in it."
Old Jan 18, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I usually fill as much as I can at level, then tilt the car and over fill (not by a huge amount, just several extra oz). Go for a short drive, no excessive speed (around 30-40mph), then get back under with car at level, open fill plug and let excess drain, plugging hole when steady stream is achieved as others said. Letsgetthisdone's method is the same principle, and filling through the drain ensures you get enough fluid in to allow the excess to drain, which is the key to getting the proper level. There's no magic volume, let the case tell you how much is required.

Quick Reply: Question filling transfer case