Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Syncrotech Carbon Syncros Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Syncrotech Carbon Syncros Review

Figured I'd post this up for anyone considering the carbon syncros. I had my transmission rebuilt this week by English Racing. They used the new syncrotech syncros and also installed a comp stage 2 clutch. I have their syncros in my Honda and they are pretty sweet so I decided to go with them in my evo as well.

I don't know if it is just a result of my transmission needing to be rebuilt so bad, but it feels like a brand new car. Shifts are buttery smooth and rev-matching is incredibly easy. My wife even said the car feels completely different as a passenger.

I'll keep updating this as I put more miles on the car but so far I give the setup two .

Please feel free to post your own review or ask any questions.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 03:19 PM

How much did the rebuild cost
Old Dec 5, 2014, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I dont think you are actually relaying yet any valuable info.

1. clutch choice is actually the biggest factor on how a trans will shift. try going from a stock clutch to a tilton carbon carbon and it will blow your mind how easy your unbuilt trans shifts. so you may want to include if there was a clutch change and what those clutches were before and after.

2. syncros are like brake pads. they take 1000s of miles to break in and work 100%

3. and yes we have no clue how bad your trans was working before it was rebuilt.

4. even just oil used can have a humongous effect on shift feel.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Dec 6, 2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I dont think you are actually relaying yet any valuable info.

1. clutch choice is actually the biggest factor on how a trans will shift. try going from a stock clutch to a tilton carbon carbon and it will blow your mind how easy your unbuilt trans shifts. so you may want to include if there was a clutch change and what those clutches were before and after.

2. syncros are like brake pads. they take 1000s of miles to break in and work 100%

3. and yes we have no clue how bad your trans was working before it was rebuilt.
I got a comp stage 2 clutch along with the rebuild. It was notchy putting it into every gear and grinding into fourth and fifth with each shift prior to the rebuild and it feels new now. It also feels better shifting on day 1 than either of my other evos EVER did. Also, when I had a clutch replaced in my other ix it didn't change the way it felt to shift whereas this is noticeably different.

If nothing else I can confidently say that ER does a great job rebuilding transmissions.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good stuff! I need to rebuild mine with my carbon Synchros. I agree though my stock Trans shifted awesome with my 7.25in clutch. The noise and short life span just ruined it for me.